Helping identifying vintage shellset

bergheimer

Reaction score
Hello all,
can anyone help identifying this shellset? I could get it for 180 bucks, but the seller has no idea, what brand it is. Who knows what that is?
Thanks!
jo
Shellset 1.jpg
shellset 2.jpg

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From looking at the tom mount,and the "motor boat" lugs I think Pearl,possibly a rewrap in vintage wmp.
A friend had Pearl kit with that tom mount and bass spurs and the shells were fiberglass.If you really laid into them they were quite loud as I remember.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
The mount says "Pearl". I'd be curious why the mount on the 12" appears to be upside-down compared to the 13", since one is closer to the batter, the other to the reso.

If nothing is broken, and you have need of kit you can leave at a practice space, or a young relative of yours is interested in drumming, I'd pay $180 for that.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pearl was founded by Katsumi Yanagisawa -who began manufacturing music stands in Sumida, Tokyo- on April 2, 1946. In 1950, Yanagisawa shifted his focus to the manufacturing of drums and named his company "Pearl Industry, Ltd."

By 1953, the company's name had been changed to "Pearl Musical Instrument Company," and manufacturing had expanded to include drum kits, marching drums, timpani, Latin percussion instruments, cymbals, stands, and accessories.

Yanagisawa's eldest son, Mitsuo, joined Pearl in 1957 and formed a division to export Pearl products worldwide. To meet increasing worldwide demand for drum kits following the advent of rock and roll music, in 1961 Pearl built a 15,000 sq ft (1,400 m2) factory in Chiba, Japan to produce inexpensive drum kits, also known as "STENCIL KITS" that bore the brand names of more than thirty distributors such as Apollo, Coronet, Maxwin, CB-700, Stewart, Werco, Ideal, Crest, Revelle, Revere, Roxy, Lyra, Majestic, Silvertone, Toreador, WESTBURY and Whitehall. [2]

In 1966, Pearl introduced its first professional drum kit, the "President Series".
```````````````````````

I guess from a brief Google search "Silvertone" (but could be any of the "stencil" names above)
or Could be:

Pearl President Drums:

i think they're prior to Pearl putting their name badges and front logo on their drums.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Coronets had the same lugs and tom mounts in the early 70's . Unless that's a phenolic - shelled kit, it's most likely luan or masonite . Yamaha and Star were about the only brands that weren't cookie cutter during that period.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes the WMP is cool and if you plan on keeping them it doesn’t matter but I would say $180 is on the top end,especially no snare.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think $180 for that is quite reasonable if fully intact with uncracked shells. A nice plus with the WMP finish. Looks to be a reasonable "copy" of Rogers Swivo mounts, lugs, etc. An all there, no mods, and nice condition 5 piece MIJ kit in a nice finish is worth $250-$300 these days...imo. All the resalers in my area are asking $250-$450 for similar kits. Quality counts....even in MIJs. So many have had their tom mounts altered. And I like the kits where the mfg copies Slingerland, Rogers, and other name brands. These MIJ kits may continue to rise in value as most vintage USA brands fall back.

Last edited:

tris66

Reaction score
Since I'm working on a purge of things I don't use I took a pic of some of the Pearl Mounts I have from that general era and took a peek through the catalogs. The first mount is in the 69-73 catalogs. The second mount is in the 73 catalog and the third is the from '75 up until the much bad-mouthed tube mounts came in. I don't know if there was a 72 catalog. All I have is a pdf that is 71-72. My guess is those mounts in OP's pic came in in 72... just a guess. I know that Pearl, like others, used up parts until they were gone. Disclaimers: 1 I don't know nuthin. 2 When I write 'Pearl' I am referring generally to pearl and stencil kits made by pearl. 3 I've never owned a set of Pearl wooden drums. I only have American firewood. 4. I'm only posting to 'give back' general knowledge to the forum...
Also: those first two mounts suck.

Attachments