Hendrix Drums.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any first hand experience with these? I'm thinking mainly about the Archetype Stave series.
They seem like one of the few series of drums that is truly innovative right now.

Anybody?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had one of their bubinga stave snares from right before the Archetype design came out, meaning mine didn't have the carved-in rerings. It was an excellent sounding drum, but I let it go. I really want to try one of the Archetypes, for the shell design, but I don't love the S hoops or any of the Dunnett throwoffs, so I'd be spending ~$700 on a drum where I already know I'll want to buy new hoops and a new throw, so that put some hesitation on my buying fingers.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I checked out a few for Drum! a few years back. Really nice drums. Built beautifully. I think the drums I played were sapele, oak, and walnut. The sapele knocked me out.

Sorry to stay from your topic here, but Carolina Drumworks has a similar stave build with the thinner shell wall and integrated reinforcement rings. The hardware isn't proprietary like the Hendrix stuff, but they're made with great parts. In my experience (lengthy tests of 3 or 4 snares from each company), I felt like the Hendrix drums were a little sharper and punchier, while the Carolina snares are a bit rounder and mellower. Even that is probably an overstated distinction though. Both companies make very fine instruments.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. I wonder what the bigger stave drums sound like?
And thanks for that info. I didn't know Carolina did stave kits!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one of their bubinga stave snares from right before the Archetype design came out, meaning mine didn't have the carved-in rerings. It was an excellent sounding drum, but I let it go. I really want to try one of the Archetypes, for the shell design, but I don't love the S hoops or any of the Dunnett throwoffs, so I'd be spending ~$700 on a drum where I already know I'll want to buy new hoops and a new throw, so that put some hesitation on my buying fingers.
There's a decent chance that small builders like Hendrix would be willing to accommodate anyone who doesn't quite want the snare setup they offer. I'd give it a try.

I've been following Hx for a few years on FB, intrigued by the idea of a stave kit or snare, and their's look top quality from what I can tell.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a decent chance that small builders like Hendrix would be willing to accommodate anyone who doesn't quite want the snare setup they offer. I'd give it a try.

I've been following Hx for a few years on FB, intrigued by the idea of a stave kit or snare, and their's look top quality from what I can tell.
Yeah. The marketing for an entire kit of super thin stave shells got me.
I'm wondering how shells like that would age? One would probably have to take great care as to temperature and humidity control.

edge

Reaction score
I sold a Fidock bop kit and still have knots on my face for the self inflicted beatdown I gave myself after letting go of those, love stave drums, I bet both of these are nice

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing them at the Chicago Drum Show a few years back and they were very impressive. The finishes were out of this world amazing...super high gloss, like nothing I have ever seen. Beautifully made stave drums.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are at least some of the prettiest drums I've ever seen in pictures. I would love to see and play them in person.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a walnut kit with Hendrix built stave shells and edges by Adrian Green. They are the most resonant wood kit I've owned. They blow all my other wood drums away, IMHO. Aside from being gorgeous they sound amazing.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I owned a set of Hendrix Perfect Ply's in Satin Walnut for a little while. Pretty drums. I asked Rhett Hendrix about the shells, and he replied that they "are actually made at a boutique factory overseas." (I wouldn't be surprised if they're sourced from the same factory as Dunnett's George Way drums.) They rival INDe in light weight, due to the thin walnut shells and the aluminum single point lugs. The only reason I moved them along was because I found the bass drum slightly underwhelming. Toms were great, however.

20181124_201238 1.jpg

I will say that the USA-made Hendrix stave drums are stunning. They ooze quality. I happened to see a set of Hendrix Ambrosia Maple in Natural Gloss w/Abalone Inlay when I visited Fork's in Nashville last summer. I'm used to seeing top shelf drum sets, but I can honestly say that I have never seen a more beautiful set of drums than those Ambrosia Maples. I was really taken aback. Then I saw the price tag and fainted. :lol:

Here's an identical set:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned a set of Hendrix Perfect Ply's in Satin Walnut for a little while. Pretty drums. I asked Rhett Hendrix about the shells, and he replied that they "are actually made at a boutique factory overseas." (I wouldn't be surprised if they're sourced from the same factory as Dunnett's George Way drums.) They rival INDe in light weight, due to the thin walnut shells and the aluminum single point lugs. The only reason I moved them along was because I found the bass drum slightly underwhelming. Toms were great, however.

View attachment 431317

I will say that the USA-made Hendrix stave drums are stunning. They ooze quality. I happened to see a set of Hendrix Ambrosia Maple in Natural Gloss w/Abalone Inlay when I visited Fork's in Nashville last summer. I'm used to seeing top shelf drum sets, but I can honestly say that I have never seen a more beautiful set of drums than those Ambrosia Maples. I was really taken aback. Then I saw the price tag and fainted. :lol:

Here's an identical set:

He was referring to the ply drums being made over seas, right? Or the stave shells too?

That price tag... Yowza!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not....(Mitch) Mitchell makes guitars!

Seriously, have not seen these in person, but it blows me away how many small time drum makers there are that have amazing finished products!

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They seem nice, though never played them. Didn't realize they made overseas sourced kits till this thread.

Regarding innovative, you would have to potentially put Manic out of Slovenia above and should include Angel Drums out of Hungary at least at par in terms of innovation.

Snare Geek

Reaction score
Anybody have any first hand experience with these? I'm thinking mainly about the Archetype Stave series.
They seem like one of the few series of drums that is truly innovative right now.

Anybody?
I've had the Hendrix Archetype 14x6 Black Walnut stave snare for a few years now. The shell is immaculate inside and out and the tone is very pure. As mentioned by another, I personally didn't care for the S hoops or the Dunnett strainer and swapped them out for regular triple flanged and Trick strainer. I am going to put all the original hardware back on and put it up for sale soon, I've just got way too many excellent snares and need to thin it out the lot...I'm out of space!

Last edited:

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've no first hand experience with Hendrix drums, but, IMHO, stave walnut drums are tough to beat.