Here are some pics of my Ludwig Vistalites in Smoke Black.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Yesterday I posted some photos of my Ajax "NuSound" Staccato kit. I was truly surprised how many people viewed them and commented on them, so I thought you might enjoy seeing my c.1979 era Vistalites.

From what I gather, the Smoke Black was a color offered for only a few years. Can anyone comment about this? Anyway, it's truly a spectacular color under stage lighting.

I found this kit at Rupp's Drums in Denver. They had gotten it on a trade. All I got was a four piece shell pack (no snare) and the tom mount and floor tom legs. I enjoy the challenge of hunting down the correct hardware. In this case, according to an original catalog I have, this kit was sold with Generation II "Hercules" hardware and, of course, the "Speed King" pedal.

As I do with all my drums, I completely dis-assembled every drum, polished the shells and cleaned and polished all the chrome. After everything was spotless, I began re-assembly, all the while looking for imperfections in the shells. Other than a few minor scratches and a small nick or two, these beauties look new.

I put all Remo Black Suede Ambassadors and Emporers on each drum, and I must say they sound really good. I also really dig their appearance with the Smoke Black shells. I really like their sound. It's big and bold; nothing subtle about 'em. You guys who play or have played Vistalite drums know what I'm talking about.

I spent some time acquiring all the correct stands and pedals. After completely detailing everything, I bought some reproduction decals that really finish them off nicely, I think. During the hardware hunt, I found both a five and a six-and-a-half inch matching snare drum; both are very close in number to the other drums. Same thing - blow 'em all apart and then meticulously clean everything.

These drums really fill a niche in my collection. A legendary drum manufacturer's more unusual offerings. I hope you enjoy seeing them.

Stay tuned for more pics of my collection.

Attachments

S

skinsman

Real nice. I have had several Vistas and its hard to believe plastic sounds so friggin good! Great lookin set by the way............superb!

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A freind of mine had a black smoke vistalite kit quadraplus,I think he got them in 1978,and as I remember the snare was a matching 6.5 x 14 and was a super sensitive.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments, gentlemen. These Vistalites do sound huge! If you haven't played any, you should. They are amazing.