Here comes the "must sell" sales

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On Reverb I've seen the number of "better" vintage listings pick up by quite a bit the past few months. My feed monitors anything pre-1990's from Gretsch, Rogers, Ludwig, Slingerland, Tama, Yamaha, Zildjian, and Paiste. The volume increase might just be desperate flippers and resalers re-freshing everything to try to get some things sold. Those guys can't sit on $10K-$100K inventories forever. Yet, most still have absurd asking prices on drums, cymbals and stands. I've have no problem selling stuff this year on Reverb. But unlike 90% of other Reverb sellers, I price things to sell (lowest 10% of comparable pricing...and generally near the actual market trading price when shipping and taxes are added in).

My local CL and FB haven't shown any up tick in decent percussion items for sale. If anything it's drier than at any time in the past 2 years. It's as if the boomer sell off (if there was one) has come to a crawl. It's all the same old tired stuff....including years old storage unit inventory from the "iconic" Shrewsbury John, who is still trying to pay his car insurance, get his Mom a nice used car, join a touring rock band, & move back to Nashville...all while trying to sell his $30,000 "collection."

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
From my viewpoint there's been no evidence of any "Great Boomer Selloff"
Not here, other than a few compiled gear listings.
Not CL or Ebay
Not on Reverb either.

Maybe it's still yet to come?

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have lost some money on sales because of Corona but I have found super low prices and lower prices too.
They are out there. Locally and on sites like Reverb.

You do have to know what you are looking for though.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From my viewpoint there's been no evidence of any "Great Boomer Selloff"
Not here, other than a few compiled gear listings.
Not CL or Ebay
Not on Reverb either.
Same here. Nothing out of the ordinary that I've noticed. I do have a lot of stuff for sale ATM, but it's only to clear some space in the house (and to keep the wife happy).

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, not seeing it in Chattanooga area either... no real deals to be had that I have noticed in the normal outlets anyway.

kallen49

Reaction score
In greater Toronto area, (on the most popular online seller, kijiji, owned by eBay), it seems to me that it’s more like buying has stopped as opposed to less “selling off“.

I’ve had a Paiste 3000 20” ride for sale for 2 months, lowered price to $150, (about $110 US) and have not even any low ball offers. I’ve been monitoring all Paiste cymbals for sale and the same ones have been there since March.
No gigs and lots of people laid off so not much selling.
Second wave of “reopenings” starting this week. Are we at a tipping point?

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not much at all on Boston area CL. Just that same guy from Shrewsbury. God I wish he would go away. And the crazy guy from Medford and the other crazy guy from Milton.
Looking for anything in particular? I am in the vicinity. Not sure if I can help but just checking.

Wayne

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did find a sweet deal on a Copperphonic yesterday on Reverb. I've been looking for one and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. Guy said he was needing the cash.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
glynch; this is what im talking about. We all to sell gear at some point, but this time it seems necessary to be selling gear to pay rent, bills, food, etc...I think the market is going to turn upside down in a month or 2.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Not sure about where you are, but the virus and the shutdowns are starting to surface with private local drum sales. MUST SELL!!
This is a terrible thing to be happening and I can only imagine someones dream kit must go to pay the rent...I feel terrible about this!

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Not sure about where you are, but the virus and the shutdowns are starting to surface with private local drum sales. MUST SELL!!
This is a terrible thing to be happening and I can only imagine someones dream kit must go to pay the rent...I feel terrible about this!
The other issue is there are less buyers. I bid on a clean early 70s Ludwig Thermogloss Tom and got it for $100! I was shocked. I felt badly for the seller

FlowTom

Reaction score
There was more stuff for sale at low prices during the Recession because the music stores were open and taking consignments and trades etc. Plus, there was no end in sight to the economic downturn. In my area, Daddy's Music had a fair amount of stuff come in. But they went out of business several years ago, so all their stores are gone. I used to hop up to their Nashua NH store to pick stuff up and avoid the sales tax.

Reactions: owr

owr

Reaction score
I came up on that Nashua Daddy's, bought and sold for my first drum set there + tons of magazines and sticks over the years. I still have a big scar on my leg from hopping the side fence between Daddy's and some stores next door my mom used to shop at, got caught up on some rusty metal on my way down and bled all over their floor. Good times!

There was more stuff for sale at low prices during the Recession because the music stores were open and taking consignments and trades etc. Plus, there was no end in sight to the economic downturn. In my area, Daddy's Music had a fair amount of stuff come in. But they went out of business several years ago, so all their stores are gone. I used to hop up to their Nashua NH store to pick stuff up and avoid the sales tax.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
I will throw this out there...any member needing $500 - 600 I will buy your snare, cymbal etc and will sell it back to you once back on your feet. I don't need any more gear but my offer stands
You are a good man BlueShadow. Very thoughtful

rcopo69

Reaction score
I have been picking up gear for a discount pretty steady since the Pandemic. I am sure I could have got them down a bunch but I’m working and can see that help is needed in some instances. I gave a guy a extra $60 above his asking price for gas I told him. Someday he will do the same I hope.
There's a GOOD place for you !! Very Kind of you CashmanBashman !! Makes you a good man in my eyes !!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
like cashmanbashman I'm working (day job that is) gigs will be back soon I hope, I've got a little in the drum fund, though I'm thinking about getting my black beauty engraved during this downtime....that would take care of the fund :)