Here They Go Again.....Steve Smith & Ross Valory Fired From Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I continue to be surprised that actual adult humans express a like for Journey, but since there’s interest, here’s the breaking news on the band coup Steve Smith was trying to engineer....
From Blabbermoth.net:

JOURNEY Fires Drummer STEVE SMITH And Bassist ROSS VALORY
Legendary rockers JOURNEY have fired drummer Steven Smith and bassist Ross Valory.

The news of the split was broken in a press releasefrom Los Angeles-based law firm Miller Barondess, LLP, which has filed a lawsuit "to ensure that the band continues on its great success of more than 40 years." According to the lawsuit, Smith and Valory had attempted a "corporate coup d'état" to gain control of one of the band's business entities, Nightmare Productions.

The complaint, filed in California Superior Court, accuses defendants Smith and Valory of sowing discord among the band members by engaging in self-dealing and selfishly putting their interests ahead of the band's. The lawsuit seeks to enjoin a scheme by defendants to possess the rights to the JOURNEY name and be paid without actually performing, and also seeks damages in excess of $10 million. If Smith and Valory had been successful, it would have brought an end to a legendary band that has brought so much joy to millions of people all over the world. Given the circumstances, Schon and Cain "were left with no alternative but to take decisive action for themselves and JOURNEY's fans," the press release states.

JOURNEY, formed in 1973, is one of the most successful rock bands of all time, with ten platinum albums, eighteen Top 40 singles, and over 75 million albums sold worldwide.

gmiller598

Reaction score
I’m glad I hadn’t bought tickets to go see them this summer. Steve Smith was the sole reason I wanted to see them again.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
''Collectively, they only have a very few song credits on Journey albums. Nevertheless, they were compensated generously for many years.''

Downplaying their role to the max.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely a package upgrade. Can sing all the tunes, and the ladies love him.
I'd probably go see them if they got rid of the Karoakee singer and let Dean sing the whole show set up on the side like Kelly Keagy does with Night Ranger.... love Steve Smith but that's not enough for me to spend what concert tickets cost to go see them, now if his Jazz Legacy show came close to me I'd pay to go see that

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I continue to be surprised that actual adult humans express a like for Journey, but since there’s interest, here’s the breaking news on the band coup Steve Smith was trying to engineer....
From Blabbermoth.net:

JOURNEY Fires Drummer STEVE SMITH And Bassist ROSS VALORY
Legendary rockers JOURNEY have fired drummer Steven Smith and bassist Ross Valory.

The news of the split was broken in a press releasefrom Los Angeles-based law firm Miller Barondess, LLP, which has filed a lawsuit "to ensure that the band continues on its great success of more than 40 years." According to the lawsuit, Smith and Valory had attempted a "corporate coup d'état" to gain control of one of the band's business entities, Nightmare Productions.

The complaint, filed in California Superior Court, accuses defendants Smith and Valory of sowing discord among the band members by engaging in self-dealing and selfishly putting their interests ahead of the band's. The lawsuit seeks to enjoin a scheme by defendants to possess the rights to the JOURNEY name and be paid without actually performing, and also seeks damages in excess of $10 million. If Smith and Valory had been successful, it would have brought an end to a legendary band that has brought so much joy to millions of people all over the world. Given the circumstances, Schon and Cain "were left with no alternative but to take decisive action for themselves and JOURNEY's fans," the press release states.

JOURNEY, formed in 1973, is one of the most successful rock bands of all time, with ten platinum albums, eighteen Top 40 singles, and over 75 million albums sold worldwide.

"I continue to be surprised that actual adult humans express a like for Journey,..."

This is solid gold!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know Steve or Ross but it does sound out of character for Steve for sure. Neal on the other hand has a pretty checkered past when it comes to integrity and fidelity. Something seems very fishy about this story. I guess they can get the wife beater back to fill in the drum chair. I saw them back in the day for the Escape tour and they were great but I would never pay money to see them now because of Neal.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Certainly a one-sided press release. What's the real story? Probably money. It's not like drummers and bass players have always been properly compensated for their contributions to a highly successful band. It's probably not a coincidence that Journey's best years were when Steve Smith was with them (1978-1986). And they fired both him and the bassist in 1986 over "professional differences".....which might pc terminology for "over money." The bassist was with the band from day 1. Even Steve Perry signed away his rights to the Journey name long ago....and he was probably the main reason they did so well in their peak years.

Last edited:

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
What I would give to know the truth. God forbid the drummer and bass player want to get paid too. I don't trust a lawyer's statement. I love Steve Smith & hope this is b.s. The truth will come out.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
In related news, Joey Belladonna of Anthrax has launched a Journey tribute band -- where he plays drums.

From WMMR.com:

Anthrax vocalist Joey Belladonna is taking his Journey fandom to the next level with the announcement of his new Journey tribute band.

Belladonna announced via Facebook, “I am happy to announce the debut of Journey Beyond, a tribute to the legendary band Journey. It is my pleasure to welcome my new band out of Nashville and we are very excited to hit the stage together. Our first show is coming up this Friday, March 6 in Hopeville, VA at The Beacon Theatre. We are excited to be performing a night of Journey’s timeless hits and we look forward to seeing some new fans in the crowd!”

Belladonna has covered Journey in the past with the cover band Chief Big Way, where he serves as their drummer, and Anthrax even covered Journey’s “Keep on Runnin'” on their 2013 EP Anthems.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I never liked Journey other than the fact that Steve Smith was their drummer. I imagine that Schon and Cain have cooked up this so called "coup" attempt in order for them to do exactly what they accuse Smith and Valory of doing.

Kendrum

Reaction score
Something doesn't sound kosher with this. I may be wrong . I was surprised Steve Smith stayed beyond his first go around with this reunion. He's out with Vital Information now. Doesn't sound like something he would engage in. Oh well until we hear both sides of the story just not some lawyer speak.

gmiller598

Reaction score
I never liked Journey other than the fact that Steve Smith was their drummer. I imagine that Schon and Cain have cooked up this so called "coup" attempt in order for them to do exactly what they accuse Smith and Valory of doing.
I’m surprised Schon and Cain get along after Cain became a born again Christian and married the spiritual advisor in the White House. There were rumors of tension last year I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.