Hey DFO, it’s the official Summit Drums SNARE DRUM TOUR!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello DFO members!

I have become a huge fan of the work that Gary Posey (@Summit) is doing with steam bent single ply shells. So far, I own a curly maple snare and a whole 12/14/20/snare set in African mahogany. I continue to be astounded by the tone and volume out of these shells, and I want more people to be able to hear what they are like. If you are curious, if you’ve never played a solid shell before, or if you want to know how these drums stack up to other names, this might be your chance.

Gary and I have been working together on a couple of projects designed to get his drums out to be heard by more players. I’m pleased to announce the first one today — the official Summit Drums snare drum tour.

Below, you will see photos of a Summit Drums 8-lug 5x14 solid shell snare drum in black walnut. This drum has been outfitted with Pearl hardware including lugs, hoops, and throw. I will be installing a set of new Aquarian heads and German steel snare wires, and then the fun begins.

Any current member of Drumforum has the opportunity to experience this drum as part of the snare drum tour by sending me a message. The drum will be shipped to a limited number of players for a 2 week trial. In order to be chosen to participate in the tour, you must agree to the following:
  • Take care of the drum and keep it in excellent condition (please replace a head if you break one)
  • Write a review of your experience with the drum and post it here on DFO (and Facebook or Instagram if you wish)
  • If possible, record yourself playing the drum, either at home or with your band and post the video to YouTube or Instagram including the title “Summit Drums Snare Drum Tour 2021”
  • Ship the drum to the next player on the tour at your expense

Don’t worry, the only cost to you is the shipping expense to get the drum to its next stop. That’s it!

To be considered for this opportunity, just send me a PM that includes your agreement to the terms of the tour, and what you plan to do with the drum during your test period (recordings, gigs, heads you might try, etc.). I will be reviewing the submissions over the next two weeks and plan to ship the drum to the first tester during the first week of August.

Happy drumming!

EEB6807E-7F8F-4159-AB23-42085E94FCD4.jpeg

9CBC1125-8742-4ADD-9B2D-5A2A1F55938F.jpeg

98420675-A5F7-4923-90E3-680A004A49DF.jpeg

D9DDAE5A-5929-47B5-A87A-DC90E5FAF964.jpeg

64F76AAF-2D3D-4A1E-BC8A-48C7E41ECA3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How very cool! I hope several folks take advantage of this opportunity, Gary is already a master builder and they will enjoy their time with the drum very much!

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully we get a good response to this generous offer by Gary and loss for gain . His drums are truly wonderful and as well made as anything made today . Sure I am prejudiced because I own a kit and snare , but the drums made me a fan .

afwdrums

Reaction score
I love the drums shell and it being made in America. But, why on earth would they import parts and use metric screws? Made in America deserves better, in my opinion.
1626793926543.png

jokes aside, he will build out drums with any hardware you want, he chose to use Pearl hardware on this one, big whoop...if YOU pony up and actually order a snare, YOU get to choose whatever hardware YOU want

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the drums shell and it being made in America. But, why on earth would they import parts and use metric screws? Made in America deserves better, in my opinion.
This drum specifically was built quickly and less expensively by taking a new Pearl snare as a donor. As afwdrums mentioned above, Gary is easy to work with and will use whatever hardware you would like.

As I think about it though, are there any drums being built with all-American-sourced screws and parts? I’m not even aware that you CAN source all that hardware in the USA. I think most of our shiny bits are chromed overseas at least. Personally I think this drum is a great looking drum, and I’ll be proud to keep it and play it after the tour is done (I had it built and bought it for the purpose of a drum to send out on this tour).

Summit

Reaction score
I’m glad you brought this up, and I’m happy to use hardware from any maker and will build something within the budget of the customer.
I’m currently not set up to make hardware in my small shop. I am however working on a thick steamed tom/snare hoop which hopefully will be available by the end of this year.
A big thank you to Lossforgain for promoting my work!!

jkuhl

Reaction score
My experience with Gary was flawless, much like the drum he sent me. There is no better value presently than a Summit drum or drum kit. His willingness to let his drums do the talking, in the form of a free to try demo, says it all. You need to build me another snare before you get swamped though hahaha.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gary,
I might be in Akron this weekend, first of the week visiting my folks, you available to meet up and discuss a few ideas?

Summit

Reaction score
Gary,
I might be in Akron this weekend, first of the week visiting my folks, you available to meet up and discuss a few ideas?
Hi, sure come on over. Pm me for my contact info.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would it be appropriate to ask about pricing on this snare ?

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would it be appropriate to ask about pricing on this snare ?
Gary can quote you a price on shells alone and advise of the cost beyond that to layout, drill, oil finish and assemble.

If your used to Craviotto-type pricing for a single-ply wood shell drum, be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. Plus, you have significantly more options for build details and hardware - with reliable and plentiful communications with the actual craftsman himself.

Gary's work does seem to be in high-demand with what is likely an ever-growing waiting list. I put together an order late last year and then had to hold off for a bit. When I came back around to it, Gary had gotten quite busy with builds. He is very accommodating though and great to work with. I am not far from his operation and Gary had even offered to meet me for lumber selection, which was a nice and unique opportunity - too bad my schedule prevented me from taking him up on the offer.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello DFO members!

I have become a huge fan of the work that Gary Posey (@Summit) is doing with steam bent single ply shells. So far, I own a curly maple snare and a whole 12/14/20/snare set in African mahogany. I continue to be astounded by the tone and volume out of these shells, and I want more people to be able to hear what they are like. If you are curious, if you’ve never played a solid shell before, or if you want to know how these drums stack up to other names, this might be your chance.

Gary and I have been working together on a couple of projects designed to get his drums out to be heard by more players. I’m pleased to announce the first one today — the official Summit Drums snare drum tour.

Below, you will see photos of a Summit Drums 8-lug 5x14 solid shell snare drum in black walnut. This drum has been outfitted with Pearl hardware including lugs, hoops, and throw. I will be installing a set of new Aquarian heads and German steel snare wires, and then the fun begins.

Any current member of Drumforum has the opportunity to experience this drum as part of the snare drum tour by sending me a message. The drum will be shipped to a limited number of players for a 2 week trial. In order to be chosen to participate in the tour, you must agree to the following:
  • Take care of the drum and keep it in excellent condition (please replace a head if you break one)
  • Write a review of your experience with the drum and post it here on DFO (and Facebook or Instagram if you wish)
  • If possible, record yourself playing the drum, either at home or with your band and post the video to YouTube or Instagram including the title “Summit Drums Snare Drum Tour 2021”
  • Ship the drum to the next player on the tour at your expense

Don’t worry, the only cost to you is the shipping expense to get the drum to its next stop. That’s it!

To be considered for this opportunity, just send me a PM that includes your agreement to the terms of the tour, and what you plan to do with the drum during your test period (recordings, gigs, heads you might try, etc.). I will be reviewing the submissions over the next two weeks and plan to ship the drum to the first tester during the first week of August.

Happy drumming!

View attachment 509216
View attachment 509217
View attachment 509221
View attachment 509218
View attachment 509219
How's the Tour schedule going ?
I'm right on Route 30 PA (straight shot for it's return trip) ...but Count me out..

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
How's the Tour schedule going ?
I'm right on Route 30 PA (straight shot for it's return trip) ...but Count me out..
A few conversations going but haven’t put together a schedule yet. There’s plenty of time to get on the list, I want the tour to make sense geographically so that no one has to pay a huge shipping bill.

Reactions: JDA