header.nohb.html

Hey Evans Drumheads!!! Your New Logo Is Ugly and Dumb

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
E99F327B-D178-49EC-9171-80A835793047.jpeg
In 2015 I was one of the Beta-testers for what was to become the UV-1 heads.
I’m sure I became biased when Evans sent me free heads as well as new sticks to test and review, so there is that.
But here was some thoughts I posted on Facebook a year and a half into playing the prototype head.
“18 months ago Evans Drum Heads asked me to Beta-test a new head/coating, now known as the UV1. I realized today that it's nowhere near ready to replace. 2 rehearsals a week for a year and a half!”

For the record I still have that head on one of my backup snares and it’s still ready to go.
In the years since I have occasionally bought other heads to try but I have always gone back to the UV1’s as they (for me) just play better, sound better, and last longer than anything else I’ve played.
Your experience may differ.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Specifically with the UV1s, I find them easier to tune, more durable, and - to my ears - just sound better than Ambassadors. The coating seems to act like a minimal dampener - maybe like a thicker Ambassador without the weight of an Emperor. I generally have UV1s on all of my snares and I really like how they sound under brushes. I also like the Calftone better than Fiberskyn, though I find both not to be very durable. The Stratas are really nice, too - kind of like the Skyntone. I currently have them on my Craviottos. They’re really dynamic and warm.
So, like a vintage Amb or Amb X.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Either of the Evans logos are just fine with me.

Now, let's talk (again) about the horrible Sabian logo, ugly DW lugs and pretty much everything over-styled by Sonor.

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is the word "drumheads" on a drumhead. I know what the product is...
I guess I must be one of the few
who care what a head sounds like on my drums and could care less what the logo is. The same holds true with cymbals. I see many on this form that eschew the fact that the stamp is there complaining the don't want to advertise for the Mfr. So do they remove the badge from their Chev, Ford, Honda etc so they aren't advertising for those makers ? Here's my take on this
almost silly subject. I believe that those people want bandmates and audiences to focus on them not what they play. But i'm betting that those same drummers leave the drum mfrs badge on as playing a Gretch or Ludwig is sheik.
just sayin

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I must be one of the few
who care what a head sounds like on my drums and could care less what the logo is. The same holds true with cymbals. I see many on this form that eschew the fact that the stamp is there complaining the don't want to advertise for the Mfr. So do they remove the badge from their Chev, Ford, Honda etc so they aren't advertising for those makers ? Here's my take on this
almost silly subject. I believe that those people want bandmates and audiences to focus on them not what they play. But i'm betting that those same drummers leave the drum mfrs badge on as playing a Gretch or Ludwig is sheik.
just sayin

Oh, I really don't care. I'm going to keep using Evans heads. But dumb is dumb. To use your "Chevy, Ford, Honda" example, none of them include the words "cars" or "automobiles" on the badges they put on their vehicles. You're looking at the product when you see the logo.