Hey, guys and gals

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself.
My name is Mike and I live in Omaha NE. I received my first toy kit when I was five, (1967) mom was apparently getting tired of me dragging the pots and pans out of the cupboard. From there I went the usual school band/private lesson route. I had my first paying gig when I was twelve years old. It came about when some friends of my parents who owned a bar needed a drummer at the last minute. It was New Years Eve 1974 and I made $25.00. That did it for me! I can get paid for doing this?!?!
I spent much of the 80's & 90's on the road with various roots/americana bands. After that, I did the family thing and kept my playing local. Now I'm semi-retired and playing occasionally for fun.
My main kit, from 1972-2012 was a 1970 Ludwig Black Oyster 13/14/20. That kit was lost in a house fire in 2012.
After the fire I found an absolutely mint 1971 Slingerland Black Diamond Pearl 13/16/22 with either a 5x14 or 6.5x14 Pearl free floater maple depending on the gig.
Cymbals are:
21" Saban Larrie London Signature ride
17" K Custom Hybrid crash
16" K Custom Dark crash
14" K Custom Mastersound hi-hats

Thanks for having me, looking forward to being part of the community.

EDIT:
I'm a lefty, btw.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, Mike!

You’ll find an eclectic group of musicians on this forum. And then there’s me.

Welcome, and sounds like you’ll have a lot to add. Looking forward to it.

Curt

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome - lots of friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful players here. Looking forward to your contributions.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Downbeat! Pots & pans > lessons > school > local gigs > roadwork > family & local > play for fun — sounds like a lot of us here.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My name is Mike and I live in Omaha NE. I received my first toy kit when I was five, (1967) mom was apparently getting tired of me dragging the pots and pans out of the cupboard. From there I went the usual school band/private lesson route. I had my first paying gig when I was twelve years old. It came about when some friends of my parents who owned a bar needed a drummer at the last minute. It was New Years Eve 1974 and I made $25.00. That did it for me! I can get paid for doing this?!?!
I spent much of the 80's & 90's on the road with various roots/americana bands. After that, I did the family thing and kept my playing local. Now I'm semi-retired and playing occasionally for fun.
My main kit, from 1972-2012 was a 1970 Ludwig Black Oyster 13/14/20. That kit was lost in a house fire in 2012.
After the fire I found an absolutely mint 1971 Slingerland Black Diamond Pearl 13/16/22 with either a 5x14 or 6.5x14 Pearl free floater maple depending on the gig.
Cymbals are:
16" K Custom Dark crash

EDIT:
I'm a lefty, btw.
Welcome to the forum Downbeat. :hello2: (notice which hand is waving ;) )

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of people on here with stories similar to yours. (And some of us are even named Mike.)

I love Slingerland drums, as many on here do.

Feel free to dive into some discussions.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Great place to hang with lots of knowledgeable folks.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Hey mate, newbie here myself.

I couldn't find a thread for it and didn't consider just starting one like you have but good on you for doing it, it sounds like you have a very big drumming history.

This seems like a really active forum (many are not these days) with some very highly qualified and helpful members, a great place to learn and interact, all the best.

Jason.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cymbals are:
16" K Custom Dark crash

EDIT:
I'm a lefty, btw.
Welcome and your kit would be set up perfectly!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always room for one more , gidday gidday from Canadia , eh ? !!

How do your Slingerlands compare to the Ludwigs you lost in the fire ?

Lefty here too .

I hear there's some good drummers down your way

Last edited: