HEY! What about 6.5" STEEL snares? Any users or opinions?

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty decent snare collection but for some reason feel the need for a 6.5 steel snare. I have an older Taiwan made Ludwig LM300 10 lug steel (5") that I finished the interior on... it mellowed the sound... and then put an AHEAD S-hoop on the top. It sounds really good, especially for the fact that I paid about $60 for it.

I am looking at a Pearl Sensitone or a Yamaha Stage Custom (both are 10 lug). Wadda ya think, drum bros and sisses?

Last edited:

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big fan of the 80s Tama Mastercraft 6.5 x 14" steel snare. Very sensitive because of the paralell strainer, nice ring to it, can be very loud. I got mine for quite cheap, foolishly sold it during a period that I wasn't playing much loud music. Now I wish I had it back, but all of the ones I see pop up cost twice what I paid orignally so have not replaced it.

Old pearl steel free floaters also sound good, believe that was what was on the first couple of pumpkins albums, if you are in to that sort of thing.

TPC

Reaction score
Big fan of the 80s Tama Mastercraft 6.5 x 14" steel snare. Very sensitive because of the paralell strainer, nice ring to it, can be very loud.
My sentiments, exactly. These can (sometimes) be found for cheap and are excellent snares. Heavy die cast rims, great hardware, ...

They are quite loud, but I put a calf head on mine and it tamed it beautifully.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a late 1980s Yamaha 8-lugger with their die-cast hoop on top. Inexpensive model with a reverse bead mid-shell. It’s really a fantastic sounding instrument. Good tuning range, plenty of volume, and surprisingly a little warmth that allows it to work well in rock or rock-country, thanks to the depth. I can even approach a Bonham sound with the right tuning and heads - almost :) I have a 5” Pearl steel from the 70s as well and it’s a solid snare as well. I think steel shells are sometimes under-rated because it’s a cheaper material.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These are well regarded and have the same shell as the kingbeat and mastercraft models.
I have both the 6.5 & 5 models. 8 luggers. Heavy bombproof seamless shelf that sound really good for little money.
Mine were €25 each.

Google translate is your friend

Last edited:

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Supralite (LW6514SL). What a drum for $200! If you like that Supra sound, I honestly think this sounds a tad better. It’s got more something, a little more tone? It’s a very similar sound, but if you like a bit of openness and a bit more feel, this is the Supra killer. For new drums, it’s gotta be the best sound:price ratio - this doesn’t sound (or look) like a $200 drum in any way. Soooo many steel drums just have that same old steel sound, but this baby has some magic.

Don’t take my word for it though!:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive had a few,the last was a Supralite.
To my ears aluminum, brass,copper, bronze have a musical 'ping' to them,steel clanks,not too musical.
YMMV

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a TAMA 6.5 Mastercraft on the stand right now .

TAMA cast hoop on top Yamaha aluminum batter hoop

Ludwig med. coated batter ( med tight) over a Remo ambassador snare side . ( real tight )

Pearl 20 strand longs for the TAMA SS roller strainer .

Heavy seamless steel shell , nice sharply formed edges. I can't imagine not owning one of these . I paid $ 175 .00 for it .

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big fan of the 80s Tama Mastercraft 6.5 x 14" steel snare. Very sensitive because of the paralell strainer
The King Beat has a paralell strainer, not the Mastercraft. I have the Mastercraft, both are great drums and often overlooked as are steel snare drums in general. My all time fav is the Dunnett 2N stainless 6.5x14”. Magic drum but costs quite a few dinero’s.

Here’s my 1984 Mastercraft:

21BB9BEC-B403-4662-8035-59C02DF68FEE.jpeg

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The King Beat has a paralell strainer, not the Mastercraft. I have the Mastercraft, both are great drums and often overlooked as are steel snare drums in general. My all time fav is the Dunnett 2N stainless 6.5x14”. Magic drum but costs quite a few dinero’s.

Here’s my 1984 Mastercraft:

View attachment 461900
Right, I knew that, I did mean the mastercraft, just used the wrong word - whatever that extended snare roller mechanism is called makes for amazing sensitivity without any of the hassle of the real paralell strainer.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the Stage Custom with a UV1 on it, that mofo was loud! Can't believe that drum was 100 bucks. I sold it when I sold my Stage Custom kit. I also have the Supralite which is about the biggest bargain in snares maybe next to a used Acro. The Supralite will cut through anything but still feels very controllable.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I have a Dunnett 6.5 x 14 stainless steel shell drum and it's been one of my top 3 for 20 years. It's super articulate and has a smooth sound. I have recorded with it a lot and mics love it. I got it new in 2000 so mine has the Nickel Drumworks throw off & butt. It was before Ronn made his throw off. It's very sensitive & could probably be used in a symphonic setting with cable snares. Mine was basic black finish. After awhile I found some Olivia DeBernidinis decals and applied them between the tube lugs so my drum is popular with bandmates for its look as well as its sound.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
$49 bucks come on.. $49
How bad can it be? It wasn't bad just didn't sound my style..
6.5! Steel!

Pibroch

Reaction score
You all prolly know this but DCP still has 4 of these clearance sale brand new 6.5 steel Sakaes left in stock for $240 apiece.

Reaction score
There was a 70's or 80's 6.5" steel Yamaha snare at Rudy Van Gelder's for years (with the Gretsch kit,) lots of people used it, it sounds (ed) great. It might still be there, I don't know. One of the all time great brush records was recorded on that (well tuned) snare with a Remo Ambassador head, check it out...

Wash!

I have a 5" version of that drum, and would love a 6.5, but (as most of you know,) I've got enough GREAT sounding snares, so that one can wait!

Like Kenny (and Elvin,) I'll stick with my deep Keplinger.

One thing that I will say is that I think your tuning skills might have to be a little better for (non cast) steel shelled snares (and brass as well,) as compared to aluminum. But when you get them dialed in, they can sound really good (see-listen above.)

Arrow, archer. Paintbrush, painter.
Etc, etc etc....
Blah, blah, blah.

MSG

phdamage

Reaction score
I bought one of those clearance Sakae stainless. didn't love it, to be honest. having a helluva time getting it tuned a way that works for me - just ringy as all hell.

getting closer to useable - it might even be growing on me. but been greatly preferring my new Duluth brass and Gretsch cast aluminum.

I will say, I have the Tama Big Black steel snare (14x8") and it's great and dirt cheap. i definitely prefer it to the Sakae.