HHX complex or Z sweet cymbal pack

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a cymbal pack and I'm trying to choose from the Z sweets in 15 in hats, 17,19,21, and the HHX complex cymbal pack..

Opinions?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on which Sabian pack. They have a pack with 15" hats, 19" thin crash, and 22" medium ride. I also see one with 14" hats, 16" and 18" crashes and and 21" thin ride.

I REALLY like the 22" medium ride in that series, but it is a different beast than the Zildjian Sweet rides (A or K). I've had both the A and K Sweet Rides, and they're nice, but a lot washier than than the HHX Complex Medium.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a 21 K Sweet Ride as a crash. I'm a bit of a basher, but even so I confidently say that 21 K Sweet Rides have less ride to them than most crash-rides. I really couldn't imagine using it as a ride unless I was using brushes tiny, tiny sticks.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are some really great packs with 15 K Lights, 17 K Dark Thin, 19 K Dark Thin, and a 22 K Light Ride. I would choose that over the Sweets. The Sweets are so bright and small sounding, IMO.

But above all, I would vote for the the HHX Complexes. A little more bite and more dynamic. Highs, lows, complexity, sweetness. I would say these are geared more for a slightly louder situation.

You can obviously get some good listens on YT, which is more important than anything I'm saying. But I definitely want to pitch the other pack if you go with Zildjian.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a 21 K Sweet Ride as a crash. I'm a bit of a basher, but even so I confidently say that 21 K Sweet Rides have less ride to them than most crash-rides. I really couldn't imagine using it as a ride unless I was using brushes tiny, tiny sticks.

What do you normally use as a ride?

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you normally use as a ride?
I currently play a Zildjian 24 A medium, which is pretty great. I’m also a fan of 22 K Heavy rides, which play much lighter than the name implies. I’d really like to check out the new 24 Orchestral Ride for something a little lighter than my medium. I’ve heard great things about them on this forum.

Phantomlimb777

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are some really great packs with 15 K Lights, 17 K Dark Thin, 19 K Dark Thin, and a 22 K Light Ride. I would choose that over the Sweets. The Sweets are so bright and small sounding, IMO.

But above all, I would vote for the the HHX Complexes. A little more bite and more dynamic. Highs, lows, complexity, sweetness. I would say these are geared more for a slightly louder situation.

You can obviously get some good listens on YT, which is more important than anything I'm saying. But I definitely want to pitch the other pack if you go with Zildjian.

What this guy said.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t speak to the crashes or hats, but the Complex Medium rides I’ve heard have been stunning

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well,.. I saw most of these responses after I ordered the K sweets pack.. Got it today..
The 15in hats,. great. 19 crash great, 17 meh.. Ride,... nice but not enough cut for a rock band. I may get another opinion,.. but I think I'll be sending these back and getting the Sabian pack..

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon Warehouse had that Sabian Complex set for $660. It dropped to$620 before someone bought it. There's another set that's been dropping in price but still over $700 last time I checked.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know packs are easier and save a few bucks, but I'd always rather assemble a set from plates I hand pick in person.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazon Warehouse had that Sabian Complex set for $660. It dropped to$620 before someone bought it. There's another set that's been dropping in price but still over $700 last time I checked.
can you share a link? I can't find it

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

5stroke

Reaction score
HHX Complex!! Much more musical and versatile, comparatively speaking,
IMO.