Hi-Hat Advice

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a remote hi-hat stand -- send my 14" Dream Energy hats over there and put a set of 15's on my main stand. Right now I'm leaning towards the Sabian Paragons, but my mind is far from made up. I'm playing hard-rock. I want something with plenty of attack and bite, but not too clangy and and dark. I also want a lot of crisp articulation. I play mostly a combo of Zildjian and Sabian now, with the aforementioned Dream hats and a Meinl byzance EFX splash.

The only thing that is off the table is Paiste. I generally don't like them when I play them.

What do you guys suggest?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Set of 15" new beats weighted more on the heavy side? Say 1100/1500 or even 1200/1600. You can find 70's vintage pairs of 1000-1100/1400-1500 for around $150.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Just looking for options. I'm hoping someone comes up with something that I wouldn't have thought of. Gives me something new to research and learn about.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I read the title, I was going to suggest the black Meinl hats in 15, but I think they’d be too crunchy and dark for your sound preferences. If you ever want crunchy and dark, they’re a good choice, though.

So I’d recommend 15s of Paiste 2002 medium thin. They’ll do everything you mentioned.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I want something with plenty of attack and bite, but not too clangy and and dark.
If you can find, regular old A's; even two singles and just pair em up; if you can find them (low $ possible) you may hit on a good combo..w/o spending a lot of cash; just gotta be on the lookout..for singles or (it could happen) a low $ pair; real A's (main series) no or little ink...)
They'd be a pair you could really develop your technique on for years to come.
gotta look in the back end 'used'car lot of ebay used cymbals Zildjian 15 lowest price first.
A's may be accused of "low'" never really "dark" (which assumes complexity n' shadows..)
can be "low"..but (70s A & Cie (early brilliant) stamp notwithstanding) usually aren't

Last edited:

Latest posts