Hi Hat clutch - how to cover the threads to prevent keyholing ?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all-

Bernard Purdie clinic in two hours here in Austin ... cool..

So I break down and buy the Yamaha Crosstown hardware pack. Love it. But..... the clutch is old school and the shaft is completely threaded. I've been using the Remo and a newer Pearl, but this clutch is very light and I'd like to use it with the stand.

So I'll ask, what can you do to prevent the keyhole wear from this ? I don't want to use tape cause it will probably leave residue, even electrical tape. Is there some spray/heat thing for that small section ?

Thanks

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
well don't have too much play; keep em (t/b felt) snug not tight and I'd still wrap w/some elect tape..
that's all you can do; eliminate play while retaining some sway.
yea that rhymes

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new fangled green velcro wraps used on Lettuce and other produce works pretty well for make shift cymbal sleeves to order. I've used them a few times. Don't see why you couldn't cut a section for a top hi hat sleeve....though it could be tight if using a newer clutch with a wider diameter shaft. That's one reason why I like the older clutches with more room to work with.

IMG_20190629_143910.jpg

Last edited:

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I´ve used that Yamaha clutch for years (I´m guessing it´s the same as on their single-braced stand) and never felt comfortable with it because of the threading.
I recently replaced it with a Sonor 200 series - 6 mm like the Yamaha, not threaded, same weight and less than ten bucks. Highly recommended. Much better that futzing around with pieces of plastic which you´ll have to replace every couple of months IMHO.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shrink rubber tubing does work very good. If you have it around try it.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How thin can you find something like that ?

Not sure; got my generic tubing at the hardware-store-around-the-corner, used it for a number of applications. There may be other thicknesses available, but my guess is, you'll need to find a more specialized retailer - maybe medical supply?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, I've never taped the threads in 35+ years! And I've never had a keyhole issue on cymbals I've owned/played that way....very interesting.

With that said, I'd get my handy Dremel and gouge the threads in the exposed section to make the metal as smooth as possible to do away with the threads......
I suppose electrical tape would work, too. I have used shrink rubber tubing to make grips on drum sticks and it worked great. I am sure that would be totally effective, too. You have to buy bigger than the hole size and there are different ratios so beware....I think I picked up some very cheap off Amazon or eBay....

skelt101

Reaction score
Hi all-

Bernard Purdie clinic in two hours here in Austin ... cool..

So I break down and buy the Yamaha Crosstown hardware pack. Love it. But..... the clutch is old school and the shaft is completely threaded. I've been using the Remo and a newer Pearl, but this clutch is very light and I'd like to use it with the stand.

So I'll ask, what can you do to prevent the keyhole wear from this ? I don't want to use tape cause it will probably leave residue, even electrical tape. Is there some spray/heat thing for that small section ?

Thanks
jaymandude,
You could try putting a rubber grommet in the cymbal(s). This would prevent any metal to metal contact.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jaymandude,
You could try putting a rubber grommet in the cymbal(s). This would prevent any metal to metal contact.
The Camber rubber grommets work great! No loss of resonance - surprisingly. Also, the nuts tend NOT to loosen on you.

SOLD out on Reverb right now - wonder if they are available elsewhere?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Duct tape has been my go to forever way before plastic sleeves ever became a thing on cymbal stands. It lasts a very long time and doesn't leave sticky residue like electrical tape.
The duct tape on the 60's ludwig clutch has been on there for over a year, couple dozen gigs and is now ready to be replaced. The tape on the Rogers has only been on for 4 gigs. Holding up well on the no threads shaft, no metal to metal contact.
001.JPG

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are really light cheap import clutches w/o center threads out there. Seems like that might be more permanent and weight is no more than the vintage stuff. Sorry, I don’t have any brands in mind but they do exist. If I had one left to donate I would. Someone here probably has one. Coda, Dixon, peace, something like that.

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would buy a new clutch myself. One with a non threaded section. I like the DW clutches....
Yup. That's what I use now. I forgot the model name or number name but its a DW or Gibralter clutch that has the quick detach that you press on the bottom and the Hat comes right off with no threading a nut on and off. It's a godsend for quick swaps while trying lot's of different Hi-Hat pairings. I think a bunch of companies do something similar these days.

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup. That's what I use now. I forgot the model name or number name but its a DW or Gibralter clutch that has the quick detach that you press on the bottom and the Hat comes right off with no threading a nut on and off. It's a godsend for quick swaps while trying lot's of different Hi-Hat pairings. I think a bunch of companies do something similar these days.
That’s cool. I have 5 of those. I would like to use the Yamaha tho

drumreverie

Reaction score
Duct tape has been my go to forever way before plastic sleeves ever became a thing on cymbal stands. It lasts a very long time and doesn't leave sticky residue like electrical tape.
The duct tape on the 60's ludwig clutch has been on there for over a year, couple dozen gigs and is now ready to be replaced. The tape on the Rogers has only been on for 4 gigs. Holding up well on the no threads shaft, no metal to metal contact.View attachment 402362
I've been using clear plastic packing tape for years. It wears better than duct tape and doesn't leave residue. Clear plastic packing tape has worked well for me on three different threaded clutches with no issues.

Latest posts