header.nohb.html

Hi hat Clutch setting

govind11

Reaction score
Hey everyone!!
Wanted to know how you guys setup the top hi hat. Is it supposed to be extremely tight or quite loose. What are the pros and cons of both the settings.
I've been experimenting a lot on this and can't figure out which suits me yet.
Let me know yaalll
Thanks

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Depends on what you're going for.

The looser the sloshier the sound. Tighter the more bark.

I keep mine a little loose.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Not too tight, not too loose. You want them to be able to move a little. If they are cranked down too tight, I suppose they could, over time, crack. To me, they sound and feel best with a little room to move.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, tight I don't believe is good. I believe sound and feel is your best guide.

I like the top hat to move and the bottom at a slight angle. When not in use the top is just above the bottom high side. I play a lot of old country swing which is very similar to the Big Band swing sound. Keeping it close helps to get that nice chick sound and I want the tension on top to be just enough for control for the up movement.

Use your hi-hat foot like a rheostat to control the top hat for sound.

sherm

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All of the advice above is correct....HOWEVER....
A lot of the comfort you have with your clutch setting depends on the clutch you use.
Not all clutches are created equal -- my current clutch is WAY BETTER than anything I had previously played.

Glassman

Reaction score
I agree with everyone above. It is highly subjective and depends on the sound/feel you are looking for. I set my clutch so the cymbals can move together somewhat freely if I have the tension from the pedal slightly loose when trying for a "sloshy" sound. In essence, pushing the edge of the hats down with a stick to see some travel. I also use a lot of toe splashes (whether appropriate or not) regardless of what I am playing (rock, funk, jazz) and with cymbals really tight the sound is choked. I have also been doing an 8th note pattern with my left foot on the hat while up on the ride and I would be concerned about strain on the hats doing so if they were not permitted to move at all.

One thing I hate: if I can hold the cymbals together with my hand, raise my foot from the pedal and see the clutch and rod moving through the top cymbal, the clutch is too loose. Thus, I set the tension such that any movement I see is just the felts flexing or compressing.

Probably harder to explain with words than it needs to be.

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 14" Quick beat bottom hat so I don't have to worry about angle of the bottom cymbal. I have several top hats I can use depending on the situation and like most I have the top cymbal a little loose.
Good luck!
Slawman

Reddy

Reaction score
Set the top a little loose. More if needed. The heavier the top cymbal, the less tension is probably needed. Soundedge bottom cymbals (for paiste users) give a little wiggle room and forgiveness as well. Too tight and the top will sound choked.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends what type of music you playing...for example, for funk you may want to keep it tight. But there is no right or wrong and you can always compensate with the foot pedal...

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
All of the advice above is correct....HOWEVER....
A lot of the comfort you have with your clutch setting depends on the clutch you use.
Not all clutches are created equal -- my current clutch is WAY BETTER than anything I had previously played.
What are you using?

rsmittee

Reaction score
I think of the clutch like my grip on the stick. I want it to hold the top hh loosely, but not so loose that there's slack in the clutch. When there's slack, it's like a grinder key-holing my top hh, which makes me cringe.

brokenstick

Reaction score
I went back and forth like everyone did.Always played a 50's to early 80's basic Ludwig stand.Loose engough to fill in when playing three piece and just enough for Funk and Jazz.Mistakes included

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
In the middle. I like a bot wobble. Mid tension gives you the most options for chick's, splashes and sloshes.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am different to most who posted above in that I like the clutch tight as that gives me the best "chick" for my foot played 2 and 4 in my jazz settings. I guess it has a lot to do with what cymbals one uses and for my Bosphorus Master series 14" hats a tight clutch works best for me. I tend to stomp quite hard while doing this and the cymbals have been in use for 20 years with no damage.....