Hi Hat Cymbal Alignment

Dirk

Reaction score
My hi hat cymbals do not align precisely. By that I mean that when you close them the perimeter edge of one doesn't align with the mating perimeter edge of the other; there's overlap; they can be mis-aligned by up to ~ 3/16".

What makes it possible are:
1) Generous tolerances between each cymbal hole and the metal fixtures (clutch?) which register & secure the them and then slide over and clamp to the actuator rod and,
2) generous tolerance between the actuator rod and it's mating plastic bushing which centers it (imprecisely) as it exits the top of the stand tube.

Is all of that pretty much normal? It doesn't/won't change my world but seems a bit more sloppy than necessary.

Thanks much.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
When you tilt the bottom cymbal, some overlap/misalignment is normal.
One tip I found useful: turn the upper tube of the stand so the tilter is facing you. That way, the bottom cymbal tilts up in your direction and disappears under the top - less stick wear.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purposely tilt my bottom cymbal. I could care less if they don't match exactly, they just sound better that way. Depending on the sound at different venues I'll tilt and space it to match the feel and sound to the way I play. I even tilt the stand a little to match my reach; NOT all hi-hat stands will do that.

sherm

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are your hi hat cymbals exactly the same dimensions? Usually from what you describe, the hats are 1/8th inch or so different.

Dirk

Reaction score
When you tilt the bottom cymbal, some overlap/misalignment is normal.
One tip I found useful: turn the upper tube of the stand so the tilter is facing you. That way, the bottom cymbal tilts up in your direction and disappears under the top - less stick wear.

Thanks! Great tip. I futzed around with the cymbals and rotated the tube as you described and the overlap is on the far side! My drumsticks thank you...and I feel better now!

Just out of curiosity I'll measure the cymbal pair to see how close they are in outside diameter but all is well now.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my 57 years if playing, I think I've spent five minutes thinking about if my Hi Hats are aligned. And three of those were reading and composing my response. That being said, I always tilt in from the opposite side. No disrespect intended.

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I am a jazz weenie and notice that a lot of jazz drummers (current and older) have done all sorts of mismatched things to get the high hat sound they desired. That includes cymbals an inch apart in diameter, sizzles, and so forth. I do see lots of folks with high hats that are mounted too tight and (to my ears) too muffled with felt pads. I use a black rubber bottom seat that I think is made by Gibraltar (sorry that I can't recall the product name) that does not require any felt pads on the seat and helps to keep the lower cymbal in place. It has three little ridges to hold the lower cymbal bell. The large metal fender washer is important to use with this design. I also use small diameter rubber pads in place of the felt pads/washers on the high hat clutch. Once again, I think they were Gibraltar but could be wrong. I found that the original felt washers tended to wear unevenly and contribute to the cymbal being held at an angle that you can't adjust.

I agree with the posts above about having the tilt screw in the seat set to a height and position on the stand relative to your stick position.

I have found that high hat clutches that allow me to have slightly looser (but secure) cymbals work better for me in for both playing with sticks (brushes) and foot, especially on a foot splash. I also like to play the bell of the high hat so I always turn the adjustment screw away from my hand position so I can get the biggest target for my sticks. Good luck in your quest and it really is worth the time to get the sound you want.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfectly normal, and expected when the bottom cymbal is tilted - which it probably should be (unless you want to have no sizzle in yo greasy beats). Some sizes/pairs exacerbate the “misalignment” while some match up pretty well. Some folks like to put the underbite on the backside (!) as you’ve done, some don’t care… and some shell out for the DW stand which has lateral adjustment for the bottom hat. Is John Good preying on the OCD community by playing up non-issues? (could this be DW’s secret mission?) Idk.