Hi Hat Cymbal Sizes...What's your preferred hi hats size ?

Mn02

Reaction score
15s or 16s. I have totally bought into the big hat movement.

marc3k

Reaction score
I've always played 14's and never really thought about it. What's the appeal of the 15's?
The same applied to me and I asked the same question.
I came across some 15" Agop OMs and I really liked them - they were quite a bit lighter then the 14" I used (K Mastersound) and therefore are not really compareable. Now I got a pair of Agop 30th 15" hats and they are the best hihats I ever played - also lighter than my previous hi-hats.
So for me, I just like the sound better - not so bright and more balanced in my opinion. But this could just be due to the weight difference...

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
I have played 15" Avedis reissue hats for a long time, and love the way they sit in the mix with a band and how legato they sound partially opened. They also feel great under the stick. I had a pair of the 14s before, but found them to be too high pitched. I also used to have a pair of 16" K Lights; they were a beautiful set, but pretty sluggish for any kind of quick hi hat work.

To compliment the 15" Avedis hats, I recently got a pair of 13" 1950's/1960's As as an alternative. They won't replace the 15 inchers, but have a far more satisfying bark and "chup" to them, as well as a much more playable bell and quicker response overall. Surprisingly they aren't too high pitched (which was always my concern with smaller hats), and still project and cut nicely. They're also about half the weight of the 15" hats. I love both pairs and can see keeping them for a long time to come.

Ultimately it's nice to have choices, and it's easy enough to switch them out when the song or mood calls for it.

CigarScott

Reaction score
12". I guess I'm contrarian, when everyone seems to be going to 15" and bigger, I went even smaller.

I do love my 13" Paiste Dark Crisps, still use those as my x-hats. First professional-level cymbals I ever bought.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
16"paiste 602 med hat bottom/Masterwork Thin 16" Jazzmaster crash
Worked for me

moosryan

Reaction score
15” K Lights and 14” K Custom Darks, depending on setting and music.

The 15s for music that is focused more on vocals, songs that might have originated and stayed with an acoustic guitar, that won’t need to get too busy and might need a lower pitch flavored with tawny port to not invade any of the vocal’s sonic territory, and be served well on louder choruses with some open sizzling slosh. Live or recorded. Aimee Mann.

The 14s for pop/funk/rock/soul where some crisp citrus flavored vodka is needed to cut through those guitars and busier patterns, and flourishes, swoops and barks are integral to the genre. Elvis Costello/Earth, Wind & Fire/Gil Scott Heron mashups.
This exactly! I always love the sound of 15s behind the kit, but often when I listen back to recordings, I'm not happy with the way they're getting lost in music that needs the speed and definition of 14s.

Burps

Reaction score
13" and 14" are my sizes. I never felt the need to go bigger than that. Plus, smaller sizes are less money. :thumbup:

If I wanted to do it, I do have some 16" crashes that pair up ok.

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
My go to HH are 14” sabian flat hats. Never had an issue of these fitting in to any music type.

Tubesox

Reaction score
My main hi-hats are regular 14”. My remote hi-hats are 13” Sabian fusion hats, with the thick bottom. The 14s are great partially open - always go to the 13s for a nice, tight sound

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have played 15" Avedis reissue hats for a long time, and love the way they sit in the mix with a band and how legato they sound partially opened. They also feel great under the stick. I had a pair of the 14s before, but found them to be too high pitched. I also used to have a pair of 16" K Lights; they were a beautiful set, but pretty sluggish for any kind of quick hi hat work.

To compliment the 15" Avedis hats, I recently got a pair of 13" 1950's/1960's As as an alternative. They won't replace the 15 inchers, but have a far more satisfying bark and "chup" to them, as well as a much more playable bell and quicker response overall. Surprisingly they aren't too high pitched (which was always my concern with smaller hats), and still project and cut nicely. They're also about half the weight of the 15" hats. I love both pairs and can see keeping them for a long time to come.

Ultimately it's nice to have choices, and it's easy enough to switch them out when the song or mood calls for it.
I used 14” for years never considered 13”-15”. Until I accidentally bought some 13” Mastersounds. ( wavy edge to prevent the air lock thuck). I can’t imagine using 15”-16”!

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always played 14's and never really thought about it. What's the appeal of the 15's?
For me, they sound a bit fuller and fit in the music, as opposed to cutting through the music. Of course it's all just perception. If I had been playing 13's for years, I'm sure moving up to 14's would have the same affect.

Tubesox

Reaction score
Honestly did not realize that hi hats came in sizes other than 14”, until I got home with the set I stole from the music store & was lime “what the hell?!? 13” hi hats?” A little context on this… It was 1989, and I was there picking up my $5000 kit that I had ordered. Helped myself to them on the way out the door while me and the clerk were loading up

kylemiller

Reaction score
I've always thought the Paiste 2002 Sound Edge 14" were the absolute finest sounding hats ever. (Drastically overpriced as they may be!) I was a 'big rock' player with my loud Fibes Crystalite double kick kit back in the 80's. I loved Alex Van Halen's drumming too. But I thought that 15" hats would be too big, too washy and uncontrollable and just too loud.

About 10 years ago I stumbled across a set of brand new 15" (Paiste 2002 Sound Edge) for $300 and jumped on them. I couldn't have been more wrong. They are super clean and crisp, very responsive, super articulate and I fall in love with them every time I sit behind my kit! I use a set of 14" Meinl Soundcaster Classic (B8 Bronze), clamped closed, as my 'second' set on the kit for a change up of texture and variety.

I use a set of 14" 2002 Paiste Sound Edge hats on my smaller kit. They are still a 'defacto standard' to me. The 15" hats are the finest and most versatile hats I've played.

Attachments

Pibroch

Reaction score
10" and 9" are my preferred sizes. (Much larger than that sound too sloppy in my limited experience.)

Last edited:

jmblvsvino

Reaction score
Mostly 14 but I like the responsiveness of the 13's. Sometimes I will combine two 16 crash cymbals when I'm bored.

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
My go to was a 2002 16" Crash for top and a 2002 16" Medium for bottom....went to 15" Istanbul Xists for the last few years, during "lockdown" I grabbed some 60's 13" Z thin hats...they are great! I've went to smaller rides, 19's, and crashes, 16-17-18, as well....

Cheers and blessings, Trey

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I sold my 15" A Zildjian hats that I have been using for the past 5+ years. On the hunt for something darker and crunchier. I'm surprised to find that I'm actually liking some 14's that I'm hearing. I may have to retract my previous statements about 15" hats.