Hi-Hat-Side Main Ride

chillybase

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here plays their main ride on the same side at their hi-hats?

I am experimenting with this since I am a lefty. This way if I ever sit on a righty kit then I only need to move the hats and snare to a lefty setup.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I set up a ride both sides of the kit - a flat ride and a normal one. The flat ride sits above the hats and I tend to use that most during a night so it becomes my main ride. I play right handed.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen people do this before and like PWC said is also normal. I say do what feels the best for you.

sherm

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here plays their main ride on the same side at their hi-hats?

I am experimenting with this since I am a lefty. This way if I ever sit on a righty kit then I only need to move the hats and snare to a lefty setup.
I did that when I first started playing.
It felt weird, so I moved the ride over to the other side after a few days and have played that way ever since.
The ride next to the hats is common to see with people who play open handed.
When I sit in on a righty kit, I ask if its ok to swap the floor tom, snare and hi-hat and just play it like that.
For sitting in, I don't have a problem moving my left hand over to the right side to play the ride (although I may have to reposition the ride slightly, so as to reach it).

Elvis

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Been there, do that all the time. With small crash on extended high hat rod. Easy to use ride, crash and hats with min
movement. When I sit is on righty set, I also only move snare, hats and floor tom.

BTW - this is Tommykat on the left.....

Tom & George Aug 10, 2019.jpg

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
That's a cool little deal you've got goin' on top of the rod for the hi-hat, amosguy.
How do you mount the cymbal tilter on the hi-hat pull rod?

Elvis

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Made an extetsion rod with coupling nut and thread stock. Then used a cymbal tilter I found online. Different styles available, but believe mine to be Camco but not positive.

High Hat Tilter.JPG

Drm1979

Reaction score

Check out Carter beauford's set up. He plays open handed on a right hand set up but has his rides mounted above his hats.

Also if you go on YouTube and look up harry Miree hes a righty playing open handed on a left hand set up.

Nubs

Reaction score
Lefty playing lefty here. I always placed my ride above the floor toms, but I can see the appeal in putting the ride by the hi-hats. Really easy for playing faster swing tunes where you need a quick ride.

For those lefties on Reddit, I created the leftydrummers sub. Swing on by!