Hi-hat stand recommendations

Asher

Reaction score
I need to pick up another hi-hat stand soon, so I'm looking for recommendations. I have a Yamaha HS740 (?) on my main kit and a bottom-of-the-line Pacific on my practice kit at home. The Pacific doesn't have a spring-tension adjustment, so it's not working well for me, particularly when I use a SoundOff pad on the hats. The new hi-hat stand will go on either my gigging kit or my practice kit, depending on whether I like it more or less than the Yamaha.

The only feature I absolutely need is tension adjustment. I'm not a hard-hitter, so a lighter-weight stand is probably fine. I tried out some of the high-end DW stands with fixed baseplates and they felt very solid and precise, but I don't really want to drop $250-300 on a stand right now. Amazon has the Pearl HH900 for $100; any thoughts on those? Any other favorites?

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I like the middle line Gibraltar HH. # 5607 It has a spring adjustment. It just feels fine to me, whenever I play one. They are in a couple of studios around town. Retail is $115.oo. That means you can probably find one for about $60.00.

bugtussle

Reaction score
I love the DW 7000 serious stuff, particulaly the HH stand. It feels as good as the bigger stuff at half the price and half the weight.

JohnL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the Pearl, Nice stand has tension adjustment legs are movable. Not crazy about the clutch but that can be replaced overall I'm happy with it.

benjamin

Reaction score
I play a newer tama at a practice space and its great. I also have an old tama that I bought for 30 bucks years 10 years ago. I like them both better than my DW 5000.

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the middle line Gibraltar HH. # 5607 It has a spring adjustment. It just feels fine to me, whenever I play one. They are in a couple of studios around town. Retail is $115.oo. That means you can probably find one for about $60.00.
My gigging HH also. $47 at Steve Weiss.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/32677/hi-hat-stands

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would consider another Yamaha 700 series hihat stand, great price, nice quality, and you have been happy with your current Yamaha.

tinterlande2345

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in the Yamaha hi hat stands, I personally use a HS740a as well.
The 1200 series stands are awesome as well, by far my favorite heavy duty HH stand.
Tony

Asher

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. The Gibraltar might do the trick, and the price is great. The Yamaha has suited me fine, but they run around $100, compared to around $60 for the Gibraltar. Looks like there are some good deals on the GC site, too; I just wish the pictures and descriptions were better.

One more question: are the top-of-the-line stands worth the cost (in terms of playability)? The DW stands I tried felt really nice and are certainly well-made, but do they actually make a difference? On the bass drum, my good pedals play a lot nicer than my (perfectly adequate) middle-of-the-line Yamaha pedal and so I'm willing to spend the extra money, but I'm not convinced that step up from good to great will make as much of a difference on the hi-hat.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have used GC for used hi hat stands pretty cheap compared to new. They're more reliable than eBay and they ship cheap. GC used hi hats
Went digging for your post, Fun. Wanted to say "Thanks a ton" for the GC recommendation. Found the DW 8000 I've been jonesing for a long time at a very fair price. So, thank you! :occasion5:

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used GC for used hi hat stands pretty cheap compared to new. They're more reliable than eBay and they ship cheap. GC used hi hats
Went digging for your post, Fun. Wanted to say "Thanks a ton" for the GC recommendation. Found the DW 8000 I've been jonesing for a long time at a very fair price. So, thank you! :occasion5:
No problem - Glad the post was helpful! :icon_smile:

NashvilleGull

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm still stuck on the single-braced Tama "Lever Glide" stands. I bought 2 back in the 90's and toured them to death, One's permenantly in my studio and the other is still ready in the road case. No issues from either one yet...

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score

+++1 on that. Best hi hat out there right now for a great price.Really fast and responsive. Plus, it doesn't weigh a ton, so it's easy to schlep.

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

+++1 on that. Best hi hat out there right now for a great price.Really fast and responsive. Plus, it doesn't weigh a ton, so it's easy to schlep.
I have one of these, as well. Also a good one. Not as many miles on it as my Tamas-but so far, so good.

tinterlande2345

Reaction score
Has anyone messed with the Atlas standard?

-Ryan
Yes these are nice, in fact all the new Atlas stuff is great. The Atlas Pro hi hat stand is probably one of the smoothest hh stands I have ever tried. The standard is a nice mid line stand, nothing crazy but it works well.