Hi hat stand suggestions

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a Gibraltar 5707. It's light (not the lightest) but very sturdy. I supply it as backline at a jam and nobody has been able to damage it in 10 years!

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have used this older gibralter for the past 20 years on gigs. It’s the jazz series or something similar.
1652836392205.jpeg

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
My heavy (stays at home) is an Iron Cobra 2 leg Lever Glide. My lightweight gigging is DW 6500 (not the ultralight) For modern jazz up to low rock it works well but anything harder hitting is too wobbly. Amazon occasionally has the DW6500 for $119. The same price as the flimsy 6500UL. It's a beautiful stand to boot.

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thank you for all the replies.
I’ll have a look at the speed cobra as well. I’m in New Zealand where not all the hi hat stands mentioned are available.

I’m narrowing it down to the Yamaha stands (including the 2 leg direct drive) and the tama and pearl offerings. Doesn’t have to be an ultra light hi hat just not as heavy as the 9000 which I’ve relegated to my Roland practice kit.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an old vintage Tama hihat stand
that attached to the base with a steel
"U" bar. It's tripod feet get in the way
of my dblkick slave pedal...

I might reinforce the U bar with a
thick steel joiner plate, and chop one
of the side feet off to get my
dblkick slave pedal right next to
the hihat pedal.

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha 740 and an 850. They are the same core stand, but the 850 is obviously heavier. They're both smooth and silent. My only complaint is the footboards have a bit of lateral play, because they don't have solid baseplates.

I recently tried to update to a HS1200, but I got two in a row that were defective (horrendously noisy and gritty springs in both).

Glendrum

Reaction score
Yamaha Crosstown Advanced lightweight Hi hat stand. This is the lightest out there. It was good enough for Steve Jordan on tour with the Stones this past Summer /Fall. I imagine it plays well too. I saw one at Sam Ash last week. Very light but well built. Did not have a chance to play it though.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Don’t mind hauling my dw 5000 smooth as silk and does not budge, as a matter of fact once it’s set in place takes two guys to adjust it! Boat Anchor and I lv it.

Fess

Reaction score
Another vote for Yamaha Crosstown. Been gigging with it for 2 years. Super light and works just fine. In fact, get the the whole cross town setup, your back will thank you

wraub

Reaction score
Another vote for Yamaha hardware here- I have 700 series stuff, including high hat stand, all work well. The high hat stand is solid and very quick, imo, but I haven't played everything. Definitely worth a look.

Hazim

Reaction score
Looking at a new hi hat stand. I’ve got a DW9000 which has a nice action but it’s just way too heavy to haul around.

Looking at the Yamaha 740 but would love to know what people are using.

Got DW5000. No issue. Just a great hi-hat stand.

TorchmanRG

Reaction score
Hard to argue against the Yamaha stuff. I gigged with 6 and 7 series stuff for years - reasonable weight and rock solid. IMO, it's the epitome of common sense design - far stronger than is needed, manageable weight and lasts forever. I gotta hand it to Tama's marketing team in the 80's for selling the idea that you need a 20 lb. stand to hold a 3 lb. cymbal, but reality is something pretty different. Well built single leg hardware has all the strength and stability you need. The 740 is a good choice if you use a double pedal and need a rotating base. If not, the 650 is a great choice. I'll also give a +1 to the Canopus HH stand, though it's a bit pricey.

Having said all this, I've made the switch to the Crosstown hardware and I'm never going back!

brianwillson

Reaction score
Looking at a new hi hat stand. I’ve got a DW9000 which has a nice action but it’s just way too heavy to haul around.

Because of back problems I went on a mission for lightweight stuff. Best lightweight hi hat ? Rogers. I mistakingly fold an original version! Cymbal stands, dw. But also Gibraltar flat base , built BETTER than DW. Snare, you might laugh, cheapest no name on Amazon. But I still love my sonor.

Rkwilliams907

Reaction score

I have a Pearl hi hat stand that I really like. Strong and sturdy and much lighter than my Slingerland stand.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Because of back problems I went on a mission for lightweight stuff. Best lightweight hi hat ? Rogers. I mistakingly fold an original version! Cymbal stands, dw. But also Gibraltar flat base , built BETTER than DW. Snare, you might laugh, cheapest no name on Amazon. But I still love my sonor.
If the amazon special gives up the ghost, the lightweight ludwig stands from the student kits are great. Hold my 15x8” and 14x10” no problem and weigh nothing and pack tiny