Hi-hat technique sweeping motion

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Talking about 0:06 to 0:12 here. Not just Ringo but a lot of drummers do this, maybe not as pronounced as this example but I don't even know what you call it and have not found a video demonstrating the technique. Anyone have a link?

niles

Reaction score
Easier to keep time and maintain a constant sound, side to side, rather than up and down. Give it a try on a ride to. Niles

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve always played shuffles this way. I guess I thought it was universal for swing grooves.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Less robotic , more cymbal surface involved = longer notes. Sound faster without playing faster , like a boxers speed bag . May have a bit of Louis Jordan brush in it . Liverpool beat is connected to its swing predecessors

Does the wrist move more naturaly east to west instead of north to south ? I'll research this and get back .

Maybe incorporating the Queen's rotational wave ?

Liverpool isn't that far from Scotland , which as we all know, is the birthplace of curling .

Last edited:

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first teacher taught me to side-glance cymbals when crashing and this also applied to shanking the hats closed or semi-open. It's great for slosh!!!
I see no video lessons. Just imagine yourself as a windshield wiper and go!

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easier to keep time and maintain a constant sound, side to side, rather than up and down. Give it a try on a ride to. Niles
I also find it great for keeping time...especially when doing pre 1966 Beatle songs.

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been doing it for years, never even thought about it.
Probably picked it up watching Ringo.

Tarkus

Reaction score
I always thought this is simply called "show drumming".

Would be nice to hear if something more serious is behind ... but I doubt. And I bet there are examples pre-dating Ringo.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely remember an illustration in an old Zildjian flyer, possibly in a catalog, that showed side-glancing as the proper way to crash and avoid direct hit damage. Whether that was suggested for hats I can't recall but it makes sense for longevity of pies in general when you're shankin'.

jmcohen

Reaction score
I didn’t think there was a difference in sound between conventional playing and side-sweeping, but the difference is significant on the hi-hat. It took me a while to get used to it, and playing that way (side to side while also striking downward enough to make the desired sound and tempo) is difficult for me over a long period. I play hi-hat right-handed and have found it works best for me to point the palm-side of my wrist toward my left shoulder. This way the movement is still an up and down movement, with a little side-movement thrown in.
Do others do it the same way?

Josh

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I gave this a try just for fun once. This motion did not come naturally to me. First, I was using more of my forearms rather than mostly my wrist. That's the first thing I find awkward. Second, hitting from an angle back and forth was weird.

I'm sure if I worked on this for an extended period of time it would become part of my muscle vocabulary and something I could do automatically without thinking about it but this technique isn't something I feel a strong need to master.

jmcohen

Reaction score
I gave this a try just for fun once. This motion did not come naturally to me. First, I was using more of my forearms rather than mostly my wrist. That's the first thing I find awkward. Second, hitting from an angle back and forth was weird.

I'm sure if I worked on this for an extended period of time it would become part of my muscle vocabulary and something I could do automatically without thinking about it but this technique isn't something I feel a strong need to master.
That was exactly my experience. Tough and awkward at first. But since I was in a 60’s band playing plenty of Beatles tunes, I put in the time.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
sweeping sounds like another profession.
Sweeping with a high hat is a very proud profession.

notdvd.jpg