Hi Hat Woes (Agop 30th's or Crash hats)

addisonnyle

Reaction score
I played a ton of Istanbul stuff while in Nashville about 6 months ago and fell in love! I've finally sold off everything and am starting from scratch. My first purchase was a surprising 22" Mel Lewis that I stubbled across after months of playing local stuff and listening online. It's absolutely beautiful! Hats are the next venture. I bought a pair of Signatures from a shop online and while they sounded beautiful, they felt "hard" to play. Literally hard. Perhaps it was their weight, but upon a bit more research I saw others experiencing a similar thing, something to do with the shoulder being steeper due to the lathe. So I returned them and am now back on the hunt. I've fallen in love with a pair of 16" 30th's but MAN are they pricey. My other thought, is to start creating crash hats again as I've done it before and quite liked it. It's a totally different thing, it's fun and waaaaay cheaper than those 30th's. That said, I don't want to skimp, buy the cheaper thing, and then all of the sudden still want those 30th's.

I know I'm not alone in the struggle. Just sharing my woes! I'm sure there will be lots of buying and selling to come, just like there always is!

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of music your playing, but I really liked the Agop dark and dry Xist 13" hats.

They are very versatile and play bigger than their size. They had a great sound and they won't break the bank. I just traded my set, for which I'll be sorry, but the new owner loves them as well.

One of our forum members plays them, so I linked his video so you can hear them -

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Any chance finding a pair of used/older 30th hats (or other Agop)?

I've combined a lot of crashes to use as hi hats, with mixed result. Agop 16" Turk crash over 16" Signature crash was OK but not more. Had a super soft and paper thin Bosphorus 16" Master Vintage crash over a Bosphorus 16" Turk Medium crash that felt a bit better. Tried 13-16" Agop Signature hats but never really fell for them. Perhaps finding an older pair of Signature hats would do it (the ones that has serial numbers - actually a pair of 13" up on eBay ATM). Or, try to find something like the 15" Agop Matt Chamberlain Signature hats - those are really nice. I've played two pairs of 16" 30th hats and they were too heavy for me.

Sadly, I don't think Agop puts the same amount of detail/passion in (some of) their production. I've bought maybe 15 new Agop cymbals (hats, crashes and rides) the last 3 years (I know, can be a hit and miss) and many of them looked handmade but played too heavy/gongy (compare an early 30th or Signature ride to one produced today and there's quite a difference, or go fo the pre-split stuff...). Ah, I don't know, maybe it's just a feeling and maybe my taste/preferences have aged (nostalgia kicks in...).

But, as JimmySticks said, the 13" Dry Dark will surprise you, especially if you get two 13" crashes - supper soft, just enough bite. I bought the "regular" package (top and bottom hat) and added a crash so I can mix and match.

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have really taken a liking to Istanbuls also. But I am using Zildjian K Con 14” hats. Great feel and sound. I think they pair really great.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I don't think Agop puts the same amount of detail/passion in (some of) their production. I've bought maybe 15 new Agop cymbals (hats, crashes and rides) the last 3 years (I know, can be a hit and miss) and many of them looked handmade but played too heavy/gongy (compare an early 30th or Signature ride to one produced today and there's quite a difference, or go fo the pre-split stuff...). Ah, I don't know, maybe it's just a feeling and maybe my taste/preferences have aged (nostalgia kicks in...).
Funny that you say that about Agop cymbals.

I bought the 19" Xist dark/dry ride to match the 13" dark/dry hats, and it just did not sound like some of the files I had heard. Carter McLean especially makes his sound like a million bucks worth of fine cymbal sound! I mean killer tone. That's why I bought it, but mine never sounded like his, it sounded rather flat and dead. I recently traded it thinking that maybe its my lousy skills, but unfortunately the new owner has found it just as uninspiring as I did.

They are individually hand hammered, so of course tone can vary a little, but my guess is this cymbal shouldn't have left the shop sounding like that. :sad10:

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Funny that you say that about Agop cymbals.

I bought the 19" Xist dark/dry ride to match the 13" dark/dry hats, and it just did not sound like some of the files I had heard. Carter McLean especially makes his sound like a million bucks worth of fine cymbal sound! I mean killer tone. That's why I bought it, but mine never sounded like his, it sounded rather flat and dead. I recently traded it thinking that maybe its my lousy skills, but unfortunately the new owner has found it just as uninspiring as I did.

They are individually hand hammered, so of course tone can vary a little, but my guess is this cymbal shouldn't have left the shop sounding like that. :sad10:

Oh, sorry to hear. Have you tried the 22" Dry Dark ride? It's way more interesting than the 19" in my opinion. One problem with the Dry Darks I have found (I have a 22" ride, 22" crash and 13" hats and used to have 17" hi hats) is that they can be a bit lopsided/skew, and I guess that has to do with the heavy hammering and (I assume) quicker production. I don't think they are hammered by hand per se, a pneumatic hammer is probably used (I actually think I saw a video from the Agop factory where one was used). Nevertheless, a cool and timely line of cymbals, bridging the electronic and the acoustic.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wasn't even aware that they made the 22" ride in the dark/dry style. I have to say, I'm a little gun shy with these cymbals now, and I would have to play it in person to make sure I like it. I agree that some drummers are using this line of cymbals to great effect, like Carter McLean. But no more his demo's for me! That guy can make trash can covers sound killer!:icon_lol:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
TBH these hand-worked cymbals (from any brand) vary so much from piece to piece that I would be very reluctant to buy one based on samples of a different one (of the same make and model).

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TBH these hand-worked cymbals (from any brand) vary so much from piece to piece that I would be very reluctant to buy one based on samples of a different one (of the same make and model).
Yeah, I agree.

This experience proved how much they can vary. Memphis Drum Shop has the MyCymbal thing where you can buy the exact cymbal your listening to, which is pretty cool, but I'm still going to play in person from now on if I'm buying new.

AHall142

Reaction score
I purchased the 17” Dry Dark Hats and a used 17” Traditional Crash - I switch out the traditional as a top and get some great tones! All together still cheaper than the 30th hats.

addisonnyle

Reaction score
I purchased the 17” Dry Dark Hats and a used 17” Traditional Crash - I switch out the traditional as a top and get some great tones! All together still cheaper than the 30th hats.
Hey good to know! You don't have any clips of the crash over the bottom hat do you?