Hi-Hats for Soul, Funk, and hip-hop (boom bap) [with occasional alt-rock thrown in]

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I am currently trying out some 14" K Custom Dark hi-hats and 13" K/Z hats. First impressions are that both of these are closer to what I have in mind. I may pick up some 60s or 70s New Beats at some point.

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the K Custom Dark hats seem to be working out. I think they are covering most styles, sometimes the tone is an exact match. They are a cross between the Dream Bliss and the New Beats I owned prior. If I hit them just right, I can get them to match Jabo Starks hi-hat sound in James Brown's Talking Loud and Sayin' Nothin'. My crashes don't match the tone of that song when it has a break from the groove at 2:36. My crashes seem to sound fine with the hats otherwise.

Of course, this took me down a rabbit hole because my ride didn't go well with my hats. I do have a K Custom Dark 20" ride on the way.

Last edited:

Demonslayer

Reaction score
Glad things are working out. In case you decide to circle back to Agop, Sigs sound dreamy but they are pricey. Sultans are crunchy and dry too and can be had for less.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like 13” Zildjian Pocket Hats. I use them for metal, funk, and big band.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So the K Custom Dark hats seem to be working out. ...
Of course, this took me down a rabbit hole because my ride didn't go well with my hats. I do have a K Custom Dark 20" ride on the way.
The right ones should be able to cover most any gig. I've used both a 20" ride and an 18" crash and found that while they have their own feel, they mix well with other (B20) brands.