Hidden gem of a drum?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On a whim, I recently picked up a brand new 5.5x14 Gretsch Renown Birch on closeout for $120 shipped. I didn't really expect much, but I figured that $120 for a pair of Gretsch die cast hoops was worth the risk. Well, I was quite surprised at just how good this snare sounds. I love this thing! It easily hangs alongside my much more expensive snares.

i7xxxzzq8zqgk0dosv1g.jpg

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
On a whim, I recently picked up a brand new 5.5x14 Gretsch Renown Birch on closeout for $120 shipped. I didn't really expect much, but I figured that $120 for a pair of Gretsch die cast hoops was worth the risk. Well, I was quite surprised at just how good this snare sounds. I love this thing! It easily hangs alongside my much more expensive snares.

View attachment 410388
Well, heck yes, i'd have bought one too!

dirtysicks

Reaction score
-Yamaha seamless Steel snares (8 lug abs 10 lug).
-Tama Seamless Steel snares(Powerline, Mastercraft, King Beat,
-Tama Artwood Birch
-Tama Sound Works and SLP.
-Many Premier drums. A lot of great Premier drums can be had for cheap and they sound amazing. Genista, Resonator, LoFi, 1026, Olympic wood ( with birch and African mahogany shell).
-Remo Bravo 2 snare. This drum is just pure magic for some reason. It’s extremely hard to make it sound bad.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To continue the Premier love fest I picked up an XPK shell pack off of Craigslist for $150 12,13,16,22 I believe. With a little tweaking it was a fabulous sounding kit.

Another surprise drum purchase I bought here quite a while back. It was a set of Ludwig Element SE drums in Citrus mod. Those toms were something quite special. Never really got the bass drum where I wanted it, but wow those toms.

Lastly I picked up a Premier hammered brass 6.5x14 snare with tube lugs and a Dunnett strainer for $250 brand new in the box. It is still one of my favorite snares next to my Jenkins Martin of the same size.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Premier except that they have always made great sounding drums. This is the one I was talking about that has been for sale forever. The guy says it's from the 90's & it's a 6x14 (no other info.) and it's down to $60. Anybody know anything about the model, where it was made (I think it says Made in England), is it worth the $60? etc...
View attachment 408894
If it says "Made in England" then it was Made in England.
XPK lugs, but not an XPK snare drum.
I doubt that's 14x6. More likely 14x5...and a half.
According to my old price list (effective Sept. 10 1998 ), you have a 1065.
Steel shell, 8 lugs, chrome finish.
It's a 1065.
MSRP was $315.00 in the fall of '98.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
To continue the Premier love fest I picked up an XPK shell pack off of Craigslist for $150 12,13,16,22 I believe. With a little tweaking it was a fabulous sounding kit.

Another surprise drum purchase I bought here quite a while back. It was a set of Ludwig Element SE drums in Citrus mod. Those toms were something quite special. Never really got the bass drum where I wanted it, but wow those toms.

Lastly I picked up a Premier hammered brass 6.5x14 snare with tube lugs and a Dunnett strainer for $250 brand new in the box. It is still one of my favorite snares next to my Jenkins Martin of the same size.
Hello Mr. Spaeth, It's been a while. Glad to see you're still around.
If your kits dates from the late 90's (should have a lacquer finish), its an XPK Model 6049.
Came with a matching 14x5.5 snare drum, too.
6 ply, 7mm Birch shell, IIRC.
Depending on hardware, MSRP was either $1595 or $1795 (Shell pack was $1295).

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it says "Made in England" then it was Made in England.
XPK lugs, but not an XPK snare drum.
I doubt that's 14x6. More likely 14x5...and a half.
According to my old price list (effective Sept. 10 1998), you have a 1065.
Steel shell, 8 lugs, chrome finish.
It's a 1065.
MSRP was $315.00
I figured if it says Made in England, that's what it means. I just couldn't make out what it says in the picture (it's blurry!). So I guess it's a good deal for $60? I did a quick research and they seem to go from $160 to $240 used. I'd love to know how it sounds though. Can't be that bad! I think I'll contact the guy this week and go check it out.
Thank you for the info!
LRod

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
-Yamaha seamless Steel snares (8 lug abs 10 lug).
-Tama Seamless Steel snares(Powerline, Mastercraft, King Beat,
-Tama Artwood Birch
-Tama Sound Works and SLP.
-Many Premier drums. A lot of great Premier drums can be had for cheap and they sound amazing. Genista, Resonator, LoFi, 1026, Olympic wood ( with birch and African mahogany shell).
-Remo Bravo 2 snare. This drum is just pure magic for some reason. It’s extremely hard to make it sound bad.
Nice list of sleepers. I've had a few of those. For steel I I also like:
-Cb700 (the ones with the parallel mechanism)
- the steel Krupa copies that came with offshore Slingerland Spirit kits
- Pearl 4414 Deluxe Steel Snare Drum, sometimes stencil badged with squarer "gladstone" style" strainer. These just feel beefier than your run of the mill MIT 5 line steel snare.
-Rogers R-360 from the 60's, like a steel Powertone or "Super Eight".
and yeah, those Premier 1026 & 1036's are total workhorses and the strainer's probably better than a P-85

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice list of sleepers. I've had a few of those. For steel I I also like:
-Cb700 (the ones with the parallel mechanism)
- the steel Krupa copies that came with offshore Slingerland Spirit kits
- Pearl 4414 Deluxe Steel Snare Drum, sometimes stencil badged with squarer "gladstone" style" strainer. These just feel beefier than your run of the mill MIT 5 line steel snare.
-Rogers R-360 from the 60's, like a steel Powertone or "Super Eight".
and those Premier 1026 & 1036's are total workhorses. The strainer's probably better than a P-85

markkarj

Reaction score
Last year the church I play for bought a Yamaha Rydeen set. Upon putting new heads on it, the entire set sounds wonderful in the church sanctuary, especially the snare drum. It is poplar plywood, 8 lugs, and needs to be cranked tight, but it really could be used regularly in any situation. Yamaha quality for sure.
I remember Tom Wells (Brantford Ontario drum master) taking the covering off a Rydeen kit, refinishing the drum and putting some Aquarian heads on it. The result was phenomenal... warm, full, resonant.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For Kits:
-Pearl Session Series kits. Session, Session Elite, Prestige Session Select, Session Studio, Session Studio Select, Session Custom. These can usually be found for pretty low coin and sound amazing!
-Pearl DX, DLX, MLX, BLX.
-PDP Platinum, CX, MX, LX. North American Maple Shell.
-Tama All Birch drums (Granstar, Vintage Superstar, Modern Birch Superstar, Starclassic Birch Performer).
-Gretsch Marquee and Renown. Both sound great and can be bought for really low.
-Sonor Session kits. North American Maple.
-Yamaha Rock Tour (Big Leaf Mahogany)
-Slingerland Spirit kits with the Made in USA 3 ply shell.
-Vintage Ludwig Standard that shared the same shell as the Classics.
-Yamaha 8000

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Here’s another hidden gem. Tama Soundworks Maple Snare with Lacebark Pine outer plies! It’s the same 5mm 6ply shell as the SLP Studio Maple. I added wood hoops like the Studio Maple and it is great. Bought this one used in great condition for $100. This drum is really giving me vibes reminiscent of the Billy Cobham sig snare drum Yamaha.

SLP, Artwood and Soundworks drums by Tama are real sleepers and go for little coin, especially on the used market.
8C4D6F11-F947-4F96-9591-1A1C8CA70E0D.jpeg
C5F9C730-6C66-4A1E-9954-108BE476253E.jpeg
87BBD612-7E20-4693-AD0A-0783F00BFE50.jpeg
34DBA949-3E08-4D10-A471-986EB4FEAA94.jpeg
3D3CEB95-0F75-4BF1-B3B5-F8336F5B6627.jpeg

Latest posts