High-frequency overtone coming from Hi-hats. Not "tick" but "tink"

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong; I'm happy to even hear high frequencies at my age, but I have 2 pairs of 14" hi hats, Sabian HHX Groove Hats and AA Rock Hats, that have this "tink" sound when I play them with both nylon or wood tip sticks, no matter where I hit them (on top). I haven't encountered this particular issue for at least 30 years, when I encountered some Zildjians with the same problem.

Can these cymbals be modified to not have that issue? I'll be experimenting with different bottom hats for now, but I'm wondering how to proceed at this point.

Dan

karlcrafton

Reaction score
A couple things to try if you haven't already.

Type of felts on the clutch. If it's making the sound with 2 sets of hats, it could be what's attached to the top cymbal.
Tightness of the felts.

Height of the hats/where your hand is landing. I suggest this because we don't always have the same hand and arm position our whole lives--as I am also finding out haha!

Hi hat stand maintenance--maybe the rod or tube is causing some weird sound vibration (since it's making the noise with 2 different sets of hats).

Maybe a bit of (gasp!) tape to adjust the vibration of the top cymbal(s). It's not permanent, and you can move it around. People have use that method for eons, and a drummer is not "less" if they use it on anything to get the sound they need.

I will recommend using CUSH Pads on the hats. They are made by Sonall Percussion.
These will let your cymbals sound like they do when you just hold them up with your finger.
These will also let your top cymbal to sit FLAT and even on the clutch, and will NEVER go out of shape.
Very comfortable also.

Here is a link: https://www.sonallpercussion.com/buy/#!/CUSH-Hi-Hat-Set-Black-Clutch-Brown-Seat-Pad-Default-Or-Choice-of-Color/p/50185006/category=20196123

Original Brown are a little stiffer, if you like a more solid type of feel, and the other colors are "normal" type feel.

If you'd like some type of "slight" dampening, these work extremely well. They are very inexpensive too, so you can try any amount you want.
The link is weird, so I attached a pic. They are on amazon.
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 1.07.14 PM.png

They stick better than moongel, but do not leave residue. They cut easily, and are good for any spots that a stand, or drum may come in contact with something else. The top is not sticky either.

Hope something helps!
Cheers!

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
AAX Rock hats are heavy. Thick and heavy. I had a pair. One man's 'tink' might be another man's 'tick', but 'tink' is what I would expect out of hats that thick.
If your finances allow modify them by getting something else. That is my simple, biased opinion. I gave away the set I had. Twice. Tink isn't a popular sound right now. It's hard to even give it away.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it possible something has simply come loose within the stand? Causing more vibes below?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have a few sets of hats: Zildjian New Beats, Paiste 2000 Sound Edge, Sabian AAX Stage, all 14", and don't do the "tink". The Rock Hats do the "tink" on more than one stand. Still, not ruling out operator error, ha.

Dan

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Experiment with sticks different from what you're using now.
Different shapes, different weights, different wood species, etc etc
Might be your time for an upgrade or progression in that area.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you squeezing them together too hard? If I put extra pressure on the pedal I can play pitched notes in a narrow range.
That's actually the first thing I considered, along with the clutch, but so far this issue follows me around on different stands and I've gone from nylon tip to wood, etc. I will also try different sticks. Everything is up for grabs at this point. Hey, at least I have the time. :)

Dan

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What I hear with some Hi Hats that may be similar to what you're describing, is caused by air lock, and that metallic "tink" tends to be far less audible or completely disappears when playing the edge with the shoulder of the stick.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
UPDATE: I tried taping the bell on the top cymbal of the HHX Groove Hats, and BINGO! That high-frequency overtone has been muted. Beautiful dark sound? Yup. Look really stupid with blue painter's tape? Also yup, but the studio mics, they're not going to see!

Dan

Phildrummer

Reaction score
At first, I would suggest loosen the pressure of your foot on the pedal or, as was suggested above, play more on the shoulder.
If it does not work, I would suggest hi-hat with vent holes (Paiste Sound Edge or Zildjian Quick Beat)

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been dealing with the same thing in a pair of 16" Avedis hats for a while now. Finally put a couple of pieces of tape on the underside of the top cymbal's bell after reading this thread and it made a world of difference.

Thank you!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been dealing with the same thing in a pair of 16" Avedis hats for a while now. Finally put a couple of pieces of tape on the underside of the top cymbal's bell after reading this thread and it made a world of difference.

Thank you!
You're welcome. Glad I could help! I can really enjoy these Groove Hats now. They sound terrific.

PhilDrummer: good idea, because apart from switching from nylon to wood, tip, that was the first thing I tried. It had no effect, unfortunately.

Dan