High guys does anybody know the exact model of these drums all I know is that it is a 1970s premier however it has been debadged

Toby Walker

Reaction score
Hi guys does anyone know the exact model of these drums all I know is that it’s a 1970s premier however it has been de badged

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
73-up Top line. They weren't "named" nothing just "were".. Looks birch inside(?) maybe 76

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
73-up Top line. They weren't "named" nothing just "were".. Looks birch inside(?) maybe 76
Wrong - a look into Premier catalogues will show that the sets had specific number/letter codes and names.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

That drum could be from sets PD303 , PD202, PD505 set..etc
Badge wouldn't tell you nothing but Made in England and an insurance number..

I didn't see , the looks like 9 x13
I didn't see 2 pieces at first..
makes a partial set unknown

www.drumarchive.com
www.vintagedrumguide.com

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
sounds like the Gigmaker
PD303
still have to see the bass; maybe there's two
PD505 Superstar

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Elite was used- coined- in 1980-81 before that back to 71-73, it was never heard of (drums were same- they just in 1980-81 needed a name to market to sell

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The floor tom leg brackets are the later style that came out the same time as the gullwing spurs so I am going to say '76 or later. In '76 the would have been the B304 if it has a 22" bass drum with the oval tube tom holder. If it is '80 or later it would be an Elite EL1 assuming the same details on the bass drum.

Your shells appear to have been originally wrapped and someone removed the wrap and did a poor stain job.

They are three ply Finnish Birch with Beech rerings.

There should be a four digit stamp on the inside of the shells that will tell you the date.

Toby Walker

Reaction score
The floor tom leg brackets are the later style that came out the same time as the gullwing spurs so I am going to say '76 or later. In '76 the would have been the B304 if it has a 22" bass drum with the oval tube tom holder. If it is '80 or later it would be an Elite EL1 assuming the same details on the bass drum.

Your shells appear to have been originally wrapped and someone removed the wrap and did a poor stain job.

There should be a four digit stamp on the inside of the shells that will tell you the date.

Attachments

Toby Walker

Reaction score

Toby Walker

Reaction score
The number is 7822 and 21/8 but the second two is very blurred so it might not be

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi
Premier 70's drums are great sounding drums!
The floor tom leg bracket was first seen in the 76 catalog, as stated above.
Elite was mentioned in 78/79 catalog, together with Soundwave and Resonator.
Resonator was mentioned since the 75 catalog, at least.
Otherwise Premier, also as stated above, had numbers for their configurations, and from ca 1978 still had the numbers with the added "...in the Elite range" etc.

kallen49

Reaction score
My Premier Kit was new in 1975, polychromatic gold wrap and the tom lug hardware was same as your kit. I think mine had mahogany shells, had re-rings. Sold them in 1982.
I looked up Keith’s 1974 gold kit on the who.net, it does have different floor Tom leg mounts than yours.
I was not aware of the date stamps inside shells, 21/8 seems to mean day/month and 7822 suggests 1978?

I’d make a small bet on 1978. You probably know Premier drum chrome was second to none and I think those are cast hoops? Add quality birch shells to build a kit of equal quality today would not be cheap.

Do you have the bass drum? If so that kit could be a candidate for a custom paint or wrap job.

l do have one piece of Tom hardware, (because I added a 2nd tom with double holder in ‘76),
I have a Tom holder lug but the inner bolt/nut is stripped. I have searched the web but never found the correct replacement. Would be metric size.

Toby Walker

Reaction score
My Premier Kit was new in 1975, polychromatic gold wrap and the tom lug hardware was same as your kit. I think mine had mahogany shells, had re-rings. Sold them in 1982.
I looked up Keith’s 1974 gold kit on the who.net, it does have different floor Tom leg mounts than yours.
I was not aware of the date stamps inside shells, 21/8 seems to mean day/month and 7822 suggests 1978?

I’d make a small bet on 1978. You probably know Premier drum chrome was second to none and I think those are cast hoops? Add quality birch shells to build a kit of equal quality today would not be cheap.

Do you have the bass drum? If so that kit could be a candidate for a custom paint or wrap job.

l do have one piece of Tom hardware, (because I added a 2nd tom with double holder in ‘76),
I have a Tom holder lug but the inner bolt/nut is stripped. I have searched the web but never found the correct replacement. Would be metric size.
Thank you for all of this information

Attachments

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Polychromatic gold...
The 16" floor has the earlier leg holder, cast rim and mahogany shell, the 18" has the later 70's leg holder, pressed rim and birch shell.
Bass drum spurs are the earlier disappearing version but the tom holder, and tom brackets, are the later 70's version.
Premier in the 70's in a nutshell!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Premier would do any little thing trying to save money. They were never in a great financial position. If they could cut or leave out, or stick with an old part, here or there they had to they would . Cash flow was not ever great. That 18 above having triple flanged hoops sticks out to me as where, if they could they would, save a buck. And then there's the Baron
Up close
contrary to what I've read said in the past here, the triple flanged hoops were not Rolls Royce "Diamond Chrome" plated...just the die cast were ...and they cost them money. Triple flanged was a cost saver used when they could... which wasn't often. Premier lost money constantly. If they could save a penny they would and they did. Rarely - I was with them 26 years- were they a financially flush company. That's why changes came slow. Updates were sometimes staggered in mid year. Older parts continued on a same set with updated parts on same set. Changes were gradual and reluctant. They were constantly financially struggling but put on a strong good face.

Trilok Series stands were gorgeous R&D but didn't help them (8/77) catch on/make penetration enough/ in the US marketplace. R&D had the brains and design just not the sales $ behind to sustain it. Like always a struggling company

Last edited:

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Premier would do any little thing trying to save money. They were never in a great financial position. If they could cut or leave out, or stick with an old part, here or there they had to they would . Cash flow was not ever great. That 18 above having triple flanged hoops sticks out to me as where, if they could they would, save a buck. And then there's the Baron
Up close
contrary to what I've read said in the past here, the triple flanged hoops were not Rolls Royce "Diamond Chrome" plated...just the die cast were ...and they cost them money. Triple flanged was a cost saver used when they could... which wasn't often. Premier lost money constantly. If they could save a penny they would and they did. Rarely - I was with them 26 years- were they a financially flush company. That's why changes came slow. Updates were sometimes staggered in mid year. Older parts continued on a same set with updated parts on same set. Changes were gradual and reluctant. They were constantly financially struggling but put on a strong good face.

Trilok Series stands were gorgeous R&D but didn't help them (8/77) catch on in the US marketplace. R&D had the brains and design just not the sales $ behind to sustain it. Like always a struggling company
I think they had pressed rims on 18" and 15" toms... from what I've seen and read...

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
yeah ..was a cost-cutter cutting move. shame the designs were so beautiful. Just reminiscing on the Trilok full series of hardware. Beautiful stuff. The 252 pedal was popular; ..it had positive sales effect the marketplace.. the 1-post double tom holder 1/75 January- the 391-2-3-4- they had their best shot

Last edited:

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah ..was a cost-cutter cutting move. shame the designs were so beautiful. Just reminiscing on the Trilok full series of hardware. The 252 pedal was huge; it caused a sensation..it affected the marketplace.. the single post double tom holder 1/75 January- the 390- they had their best shot
I agree. They had fantastic drums. And Lokfast looked good and worked great.
I'd really want a single, oval post, tom holder for my kit - just for the looks!

Latest posts