Hillsong United's Drummer

B8PDP

Reaction score
I, for one, dig his style. He makes ordinary Christian songs quite fun and entertaining, on the drummer's side of the spectrum, and the audience's. He easily makes the songs not ordinary.

john14

Reaction score
Hillsong has so many drummers - I think they are all great!
Rolf, Gabe, Brandon... they are on the United and the Hillsong DVD's...
The "Mighty to Save" DVD has a bonus tutorial on how to play several songs - Rolf and Mitch do the playing and instructing - a mini-clinic...
I never miss the opportunity to see them... we went down to their conference in Orlando, Florida and also here in Toronto at the Convention Center and Ontariop Place... I first saw them at the Airport church but don't know who was drumming that night...
They are so sensitive to the song - to the vocals - to how the Spirit is leading!

B8PDP

Reaction score
hm, whoever does hosanna, and their live version of king of majesty are my favorites, then..oh yeah, and one way.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I was also going to say that I thought they had multiple drummers, but all their stuff is very enjoyable and I love the style. I think "Til I See You" is one of my favorites.

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't really care for that style, as IMHO it is lacking in subtlety. At my church we play some Hillsong music in our worship set, but that style of drumming doesn't work in our sanctuary. Brick walls, oak pews, much of the congregation over age 60. I just KNOW that I can't ride on my crash cymbals due to the limitations of our that room.

Give me something that I can feel, that breathes, that I can inject some emotion into, can use single-stroke rolls, mallets, crescendos, and use cymbals which actually have something interesting to say.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't really care for that style, as IMHO it is lacking in subtlety. At my church we play some Hillsong music in our worship set, but that style of drumming doesn't work in our sanctuary. Brick walls, oak pews, much of the congregation over age 60. I just KNOW that I can't ride on my crash cymbals due to the limitations of our that room.

Give me something that I can feel, that breathes, that I can inject some emotion into, can use single-stroke rolls, mallets, crescendos, and use cymbals which actually have something interesting to say.

HA! I have the same situation. No brick but lots of parallel walls with lots of glass, very live acoustics and at least half the congregation over 50. They have put a full drum shield around the kit (with a top on it) and I still have to hold back on volume and overall intensity. It's a bit frustrating but I try to remember that I am not there as entertainment or a show...but rather to help lead people in worship. Our church is trying to "blend" hymns and contemporary and in the long run I'm not sure how effective that really is. Rock on! But softly.

Steve

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Sorry mate, but he's just not soft classical drumming material.

Neither am I. But wherever you're playing you've got to consider the audience and the limitations of the room.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you on that Tim. When I say I love the style, I mean to listen to. When we play Hillsong United stuff in church we have to tone down some of the more aggressive things. I'd like to think we take back the subtlety -- putting it in out of necessity.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Psalm 150:5
"Praise the Lord with cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals" :notworthy:

Check out the whole Psalm 150. All the other instruments are only mentioned once. Cymbals are mentioned twice! - Surely that means we are to play them twice as loud :cool:

I don't see an organ mentioned in the Bible.

B8PDP

Reaction score
cworrick, you are what we would call "win".
Yeah, drum shields help. I play in a small sanctuary, so I have to tone down the volume, which in turn turns down the intensity. Yet, the funny thing is, the youth group plays the music, so they expect it a little more upbeat. When we do the young adult/adult service, we play a few more soft songs, but we still have upbeat songs that people can clap and sing along to.

Latest posts