Hip photo of my drums

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Quick little sound check before I make longer video.

EVans J1 etched/ambassador clear on toms

Remo Fiberksyn Diplomat Classic on bass drum 16x13

14x8 Ludwig coliseum chrome over wood

I didn't even take the time to sit down :cool:

I only spent 3 minutes tuning but....I just love the vibe and feel of these drums

I am going to make a round badge vs Slingerland comparison video one of these days

TPC

Reaction score
Love this set!

Hey Tom - before doing the comparison, make sure you get a NASA-endorsed head tension/pitch device, a precision caliper to measure shell thickness, a precision scale to measure the weight of all shells and hardware, a thermometer, a barometer, and a bucket of Xanex for anyone who listens, or else we won't be able to tell which set we like better. ;)

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Slingerland were never hip with their spurs. That's what did em in ya know? ; )
Ah, but therein lies the crux of the biscuit. You have to be hip to see why Slingerlands are hip. What did them in was mismanagement and poor fiiscal controls. They'll be coming back under DW. Lots of people are anxiously waiting to see what they come up with. Even the old student level drums were made of the same materials as the regular drums, but with different hardware, and sound incredible today. I know because I have a Stage Band kit that many a sound engineer has praised for how sweet they sound. You gotta know what hipness is. And sometimes hipness is what it ain't...

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried to get same pitch.

Is it me or do you hear these heads as being pretty close?

I think I like the skyntones and fiberskyn best even though the regular ambassador might sing a little more.
Everyone's ears are different. What do you hear?

The drum sounds "vintage" no matter what head imo

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Skyntone and Suede both sounded a bit sharper/brighter. The J1 not so much, which surprised me.
I know all these except for the Skyntone. In my experience, FD sounds a bit more muted than coated Ambassador, Suede and J1 a bit more open/bright, but the difference (except what I mentioned above) doesn't seem that big here. maybe it's because of the round bearing edge?
It's also a matter of feel and dynamic response, reponse to brushes, at different tunings, maybe even different behaviour in different sounding rooms. I'd give each head some time before changing and then decide for yourself. They are not the same; thinking that would be a typical fallacy judging by single hit comparisons (see tone woods ;))

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try a skyntone sometime. I love the feel and look. But..you need to use jeff Hamilton or other heavier gauge wires for snare imo. But i use heavier gauge anyway.
Coated ambassador most open.
I think i had drum out of tune with the j1..so take it with grain of salt

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try a skyntone sometime.
I might try a 14" Skyntone on snare and floor tom. That's been my test head size.
At the moment I have settled (back) to coated Ambassador batters and don't feel the need to change. Maybe for a brush gig.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love this set!

Hey Tom - before doing the comparison, make sure you get a NASA-endorsed head tension/pitch device, a precision caliper to measure shell thickness, a precision scale to measure the weight of all shells and hardware, a thermometer, a barometer, and a bucket of Xanex for anyone who listens, or else we won't be able to tell which set we like better. ;)
[/QUOTE

I only spent 3 minutes tuning but....I just love the vibe and feel of these drums

I am going to make a round badge vs Slingerland comparison video one of these days

Tom,
If you are ever driving down the Thruway to do a Carnegie Hall gig, and passing exit 14 B Suffern, maybe you can teach me how to tune these while I make you a great lunch.
Also, maybe you have a few Rides in your trunk to sell to me ?

Attachments

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I decided the J1 are my favorite heads on my Slingerlands. Thats what i used on the Cornell recording where I played a solo at the end.

Open but mellow

Latest posts