Hired gun question

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re a hired gun do you allow an artist to have a say in your sound? Say for instance you own multiple types of cymbals. You have a type you like more than others, but the guy who has hired you likes one of the others better because he feels it fits his music better. What would you say in a situation like this?

Vicey

Reaction score
You're a hired gun: you aim at what your employer asks you to. You put your expertise and equipment at his/her disposal. The reason you have those cymbals that you like less than the ones you usually use is this occasion.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the artist is paying me to play with them, I try to give them the sounds they want to hear, esp in a studio situation. I'll always bring some extra gear just in case the artist is really paying attention...some do. They are the client, may as well try and make them happy so they remain clients.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you’re a hired gun do you allow an artist to have a say in your sound? Say for instance you own multiple types of cymbals. You have a type you like more than others, but the guy who has hired you likes one of the others better because he feels it fits his music better. What would you say in a situation like this?
If you're a hired gun, you do what the artist asks.

Similarly: if you're a band and you hire a producer, you do what the producer asks.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. I’m of the opinion that you give the artist what they are looking for as well. If you don’t want to do that you can be easily replaced.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Generally, folks will hire us for what we bring to the table, but there are exceptions. Dizzy Gillespie had a 22" swish he had his drummers use behind his solos. Chick Corea had an 18" Paiste 602 flat that showed up on many of his recordings.

In any event, he's hiring you to make the sounds he'd like to hear, no?

You're free to take the gig or not, and he's free to hire someone who will give him what he needs.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's kind of a weird question. Its not about what I like. As soon as I get booked by someone I'm just thinking about the best creative decisions I can make to compliment their music, be it gear, style, parts, whatever.

When I get hired they already know my style & how I play. That's why they wanted me. We're artists too y'know?

But, if I really felt they asked for something that I thought was really wrong for a given situation I'd have a conversation about why I wanted to do or use something different. ...and then I'd do what they wanted.

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
I think I answered this on Drummerworld, but yes. I try to choose my Snare and Cymbals based on what I hear in the artists music. If they ask for something different or specific I always try to accommodate.
I must get pretty close to mark though, as it's rare anyone has asked me for anything else from what I had chosen. Occasional they will ask to try different snares in a session, butI think that's because I bring 4 or 5 different snares to each one.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's kind of a weird question. Its not about what I like. As soon as I get booked by someone I'm just thinking about the best creative decisions I can make to compliment their music, be it gear, style, parts, whatever.

When I get hired they already know my style & how I play. That's why they wanted me. We're artists too y'know?

But, if I really felt they asked for something that I thought was really wrong for a given situation I'd have a conversation about why I wanted to do or use something different. ...and then I'd do what they wanted.
This exactly.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
It’s the artist’s name on the album cover and the concert hall. Unless he/she hired you specifically for your sound, then play the equipment they want you to play, or there likely is someone else who will.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Situations can vary a bunch but the common denominator is that the music is being served.
I quite enjoy the challenge of having everything provided and being able to achieve what my employer(s) want. I usually don’t have to bring anything except beating implements. You have to be very versatile and adaptable in these cases, as who knows what the instruments you will be playing will be like.
I also enjoy the challenge of “second guessing” what my employer(s) want/need, and this means bringing a whole bunch of stuff.
I also enjoy it when folks hire me to be me, and for my “sound”. This meaning a specific drum kit or cymbals they would like to be used. Aside from the specifics, this means bringing even more stuff because ya never know....;)
I have a slew of gear that doesn’t see the light of day very often, but keep on hand because of that certain “sound” they possess, again because ya never know. What you have to know is to check your ego at the door...unless they ask for it...and serve the music.
bt

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the old days guys were usually hired by the producer who's job was to surround an artist with the right people. I often didn't meet the artist until the first day in the studio. Now days with zero budgets and people recording projects in their bathroom and overdubbing from the back seat of their car it's different. Still I take enough stuff to have a few options, but that's usually a selfish endeavor so I can hear how some new gear records. If there's a more specific request that I haven't already thought of I will of course honor it. These days if I ever enter a studio it's like "wow look, there's microphones and everything!!"

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends I guess, are you being hired for your general expertise or at the direction of your employer? Depends on the engagement.

Like anything else in life some people get frustrated when their opinions are over-ridden.

Look at business professionals, lawyers, consultants, investment brokers - they get clearly frustrated with me when I don't take their advice (which is rare maybe but it happens) and maybe for good reason but they're my "employee" when I engage them, it's my decision.

The same could closely translate to hired musicians also, it really is complicated.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put my $$ where my mouth is when the boss lady said she didn’t like bright cymbals.

Not that I minded buying a set of Spc Custom Dry Ks ....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
saying hired gun not permitted anymore
anyone think of a substitution