Hired gun question

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
saying hired gun not permitted anymore
anyone think of a substitution
Why? There's no need - or don't you realize that the whole Fox-fanned brouhaha over the cancel culture, woke-ism, stolen elections and the War on Christmas are just fantasy bits of entertainment - that no one is actually expected to believe. At least, that's pretty much what Fox attorneys admitted in court.

So saying "hired gun" is in fact permitted everywhere as it always has been.

:cool:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you’re a hired gun do you allow an artist to have a say in your sound? Say for instance you own multiple types of cymbals. You have a type you like more than others, but the guy who has hired you likes one of the others better because he feels it fits his music better. What would you say in a situation like this?
If you have a strong opinion about it you could offer your input. But, ultimately he’s paying, his project, his call.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno tho seeing word gun in a thread title kinda puts scary thoughts in my head.
Let's see what google says,,

hired Gun: a person who is paid to do a particular job, especially something that others may consider to be morally wrong.
hmm. that'd be about half you guys
hired Gun : an expert hired to do a specific and often ethically dubious job
and that'd be the other half

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you’re a hired gun do you allow an artist to have a say in your sound? Say for instance you own multiple types of cymbals. You have a type you like more than others, but the guy who has hired you likes one of the others better because he feels it fits his music better. What would you say in a situation like this?
Hired gun - sideman - whatever you want to call it. For me, that was the role I played as a musician, 95% of the time I've made money playing drums since high school.... pretty much the last time I wasn't a sideman, except for when I was a leader.

Lots of great answers above that I wholly concur with.

But mainly the bit about second guessing. Because yes, the job is to make the person hiring you (and the people you are playing with happy) - so yes, that entails following directives... "Can you play less busy there?" "I don't like that drum fill - maybe something more like _____" "Can you make the snare fatter?" and on and on...

But the goal is to avoid all of that and "simply" make the right choices in the first place. It might entail doing some homework into their likes and dislikes, listening to recordings, maybe even asking the other players for insights - all this depending on the scope of the job. Lots of hired gun work doesn't last long enough to invest that research time (if it's even possible), so then it's about keeping tabs on what's possible, what the "norm" is for players working this style. Often hired guns (within the same genre) can be considered interchangeable - a pool of players known to be able to cover what's currently needed within that genre. It can make sense to know what that entails.

But for the exact scenario you laid out above... I wouldn't even bat an eye. First, if thought your less favored cymbals have no value - why do you even have them? If you consider them so bad, that you fear anyone hearing you play them could seriously damage your reputation, then you shouldn't have brought them.

That serious damage to your reputation bit might be the only justification for saying no.... but realize this is a serious nuclear option. I don't think in 40+ years of hired gun work, I've been seriously tempted to do that more than a handful of times. And then ultimately never did it - always finding a way to just work around it over time - or just let it go.

So often, you just have to let someone try there idea - no matter how stupid that idea may be. My experience tells me - better to stay a good partner - not necessarily a total yes man. As a good sideman is also hired for their expertise - so don't try and convince anyone that you have no insights or thoughts - just allow for the fact, that your feelings have to always be of secondary importance.

So you might try the 2nd string cymbals and get a few hours or days down the road to find the boss saying - "you know, you may be right. Those cymbals might not be the best choice." On the other hand, you might come to realize "Wow, these sort of work better wit this music than I thought at first."

The idea is to always stay professional - in some ways detached - this is his music, not yours. That's why you are getting paid!!!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno tho seeing word gun in a thread title kinda puts scary thoughts in my head.
Let's see what google says,,

hired Gun: a person who is paid to do a particular job, especially something that others may consider to be morally wrong.
hmm. that'd be about half you guys
hired Gun : an expert hired to do a specific and often ethically dubious job
and that'd be the other half
A well informed and defended mind is the big stick that allows you speak softly .

Reactions: JDA

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
As my dear mother used to tell me " If I didn't care, I wouldn't say anything " .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
FREELANCE now we got Knives AND Guns
freelance, hired gun..

hope no one mentions Master Class..

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no gender-neutral replacement for that, and the female version ("Mistress Class") conjures up all sorts of... umm... 'interesting' mental images. :p

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
FREELANCE now we got Knives AND Guns
freelance, hired gun..

yes the horrors as to what we do to drums... hit, strike... beat.

And do expect for our profession to be taken seriously when all we do is... play.

"Literalism.... the polar opposite to insightfulness" :)

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why? There's no need - or don't you realize that the whole Fox-fanned brouhaha over the cancel culture, woke-ism, stolen elections and the War on Christmas are just fantasy bits of entertainment - that no one is actually expected to believe. At least, that's pretty much what Fox attorneys admitted in court.

So saying "hired gun" is in fact permitted everywhere as it always has been.

:cool:

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If in the last 1,000 times and the next 1,000 times a drummer is brought on board for a limited time and the guy who does the hiring wants to choose his brand of cymbals I would find that absolutely shocking.