History of vented or split shell snare drums

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Calling Tommy . . . I was blown away by this Drouyn proto#1 from 1982. What year is the Gina? Is there a long history of these designs?

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool, Trout!

According to John Cermenaro, the last Rogers R&D Manager, Ludwig invented and marketed the split shell snare they called a "coliseum" model. John hand crafted a prototype coliseum snare for Gina Schock (Rogers endorser) of the Go Gos in 1983, and signed an inscription inside. However, the company never followed Ludwig to market with a product.

The Gina Schock "Super Slam" is a modified 6.5" XP10 Superten with the stout Rogers lugs holding the split halves about 1/2" apart. Sounds like a cannon.

With Flash Vignette.jpg
Strainer From Top Vignette.jpg
Set From Back.jpg
John Cermenaro.jpg

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Slotted Coliseum Ludwig. Hated it. I was probably chasing a sound it was not made for, but I have never bought another drum I disliked as much, and that was 35 years ago or so.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The slotted Coliseum is the first I remember seeing (circa 1980). I'd be surprised if it were originally a Ludwig invention though.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
audiochurch said:
what the............?
Drum Play said:
Are there bearing edges where the shells are split?
I remembared one for a friend when all the Luddy lugs cracked...the slot sides of the shells are not edged.

someone could make some money makeing shells that could be used in tandem or alone...if the shells were different sizes you could have 3 drums in one...

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
We used the split shells in 81 & 82. Horrible sound from the player's perspective. Sounded like the snares were off. Out front they sounded fine and projected well. Ours were Slingerlands cut by hand in the parking lot of Mile High Stadium before a contest.

iplaymydrums

Reaction score
xsabers said:
We used the split shells in 81 & 82. Horrible sound from the player's perspective. Sounded like the snares were off. Out front they sounded fine and projected well. Ours were Slingerlands cut by hand in the parking lot of Mile High Stadium before a contest.
it does sound like crap from the throne

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In 1980, Marty Hurley (Phantom Regiment - RIP) invented the 12" x 14" Ludwig Challenger H-V by cutting down the classic Ludwig Challenger ST. A few years later, this became the Ludwig Coliseum Series 8" x 14".