Hit your snare harder!!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How hard do you really need to hit your snare if you're playing rock? Is there such thing as hitting too hard for rock?

Gotta love Marshall Crenshaw, and his drummer brother Robert, just pulverizing the snare with all his might — a nice contrast to the clean, not-very-heavy, power-pop of the trio:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a little too much heavy cricket for my rotator cuff.

I saw M.C. back in the 80’s and have no recollection of Robert hitting that hard, and, believe me, if he had, that’s something I’d remember...!

Must have seen him in a smaller venue.

Myk

Reaction score
Good Lord, maybe he needs a thinner shelled snare. lol

ncdrumr

Reaction score
How hard do you really need to hit your snare if you're playing rock? Is there such thing as hitting too hard for rock?

Gotta love Marshall Crenshaw, and his drummer brother Robert, just pulverizing the snare with all his might — a nice contrast to the clean, not-very-heavy, power-pop of the trio:

Yes.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The bass and drum arrangements on those first two records, especially the first one, are really great.

He's definitely playing hard but I wonder if that big arm movement is mostly for show, I don't hear a big difference in volume when he goes to play a fill and isn't using that exaggerated stroke.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he's actually hitting it as hard as it looks.

But really hitting the bass and snare does make the typical modern drum mix (big kick and snare, easy on the cymbals) easier to dial in.

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe the guitarist needs to turn down a bit. Below ten. We pound the crap out of the drums because of them complaining and then we face the injuries we get to our rotator cuff’s etc.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a point of diminishing returns. After a certain point, you reach the maximum "bang for you buck" out of the shell.
At a drum clinic the guest showed how this works to a young kid. Hit it, then harder, then as hard as he could until he was denting the head with no increase in volume. The kid was not the only one in the crowd who got the point.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recognize that I'm in a minority here but hitting drums hard is just fun. I can't imagine how crazy I'd be going if I pumped as much cocaine through my system as these artists in the 70's and 80's. Mild differences in sound from technique aren't really a big deal when the snare sound coming out of the speakers sound like the thing has already been muffled/compressed like crazy anyway. Why not have fun, make it a show, and cook off that coke energy in one go?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

Damn this dude is pounding on those things. It's definitely not my thing but reading the comments under there shows that LOTS of people love this guy. I saw Michael Bland with Soul Asylum open for Cheap Trick and I thought his cymbals were going to explode! He just beat the daylights out of those drums. Bun E came on after and while his doesn't play light, it was so much better sounding. The drums had room to breathe and the cymbals did not sound choked. To each his own but I am not into the crash and bash thing I guess. I actually love seeing guys like Carter McLean play where they let the mics pick up the great sound of a well tuned drum set with musical sounding cymbals.