Hit your snare harder!!

Northwoods Dan

Reaction score
I can't think of many modern rock drummers who don't hit a rim shot with every backbeat.
Really? I can name a ton that don't and only a few that do. John Bonham comes immediately to mind as someone that did use rim shots on every backbeat. To be clear, the rim shot on every backbeat is what gets my jimmy's rustled; not drummers that play loudly.

Here's some rock drummers off the top of my head that don't hit a rim shot with every backbeat - regardless of style or era:

Charlie Watts, Jeff Pocaro, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Thomas Hakke, Meg White, Tommy Lee, Janet Weiss, Glen Kotche, Steve Ferrone, Steve Jordan, Neil Peart, Ringo Starr, Stewart Copeland, Danny Carey, Steve Gadd, Matt Cameron, Max Weinberg, Nick Mason, Lars Ulrich (let's leave St. Anger out of this but if you want I'll give you that one), Jimmy Chamberlin (who makes great use of rim shots when needed but not all the time), Brendan Canty, D.H Peligro, Travis Barker, all the Black Flag drummers, all the Guns and Roses drummers, Tre Cool, the dude from Bon Jovi (I'm not looking that up), all of the drummers in Primus, Keith Moon, the dude from the Black Keys, Mitch Mitchell, Buddy Miles, Jon Wurster...

Regardless of era and genre I could go on and on and on listing drummers who don't hit a rim shot with every backbeat.

I don't think that most rock drummers do this - regardless of era. Maybe it is just what I listen to but I can only think of a few that do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
This isn’t quite my thang but Tommy’s been hitting hard for a while:

WOW! I wouldn't be surprised if Dave Grohl was inspired by Tommy!
SLAM THOSE TUBS, DADDY!!! :headbang:

I hope that drum kit has Obamacare, after taking such a pounding.
Bonus points for the twirls and cymbal chokes within the groove.

Never underestimate a geezer behind a drum kit! :thumbup:

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
The Doors reunion 2003 on the Jay Leno show.
Ian Astbury (the Cult) on vocals, Stewart Copeland on drums.

I'm amazed at how Stewart can slam that snare with the Traditional grip
almost as though he were in a thrash band, during this performance.
I dig Stewart's playing style, I feel influenced by him whenever I syncopate
on my toms and the bell of my Crash-Ride cymbal but I'm nowhere
near his league...

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really? I can name a ton that don't and only a few that do. John Bonham comes immediately to mind as someone that did use rim shots on every backbeat. To be clear, the rim shot on every backbeat is what gets my jimmy's rustled; not drummers that play loudly.

Here's some rock drummers off the top of my head that don't hit a rim shot with every backbeat - regardless of style or era:

Charlie Watts, Jeff Pocaro, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Thomas Hakke, Meg White, Tommy Lee, Janet Weiss, Glen Kotche, Steve Ferrone, Steve Jordan, Neil Peart, Ringo Starr, Stewart Copeland, Danny Carey, Steve Gadd, Matt Cameron, Max Weinberg, Nick Mason, Lars Ulrich (let's leave St. Anger out of this but if you want I'll give you that one), Jimmy Chamberlin (who makes great use of rim shots when needed but not all the time), Brendan Canty, D.H Peligro, Travis Barker, all the Black Flag drummers, all the Guns and Roses drummers, Tre Cool, the dude from Bon Jovi (I'm not looking that up), all of the drummers in Primus, Keith Moon, the dude from the Black Keys, Mitch Mitchell, Buddy Miles, Jon Wurster...

Regardless of era and genre I could go on and on and on listing drummers who don't hit a rim shot with every backbeat.

I don't think that most rock drummers do this - regardless of era. Maybe it is just what I listen to but I can only think of a few that do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're joking, right? All of those drummers hit rimshots on the backbeat. :icon_lol:

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
Here's a treat... loud, hard, fast, and still in the groove.
This makes me wanna quit being a drummer!

Eric Moore KILLIN IT on the tubs to
Missy Elliot's "Get Ur Freak On " !
Whuuuuut?

Daeeeeeeeeeeeyum!
That's it, I jus Can'T! Git me OUtta here!
I shoulda been a cop, cos these beats gone Renegade!

Northwoods Dan

Reaction score
You're joking, right? All of those drummers hit rimshots on the backbeat. :icon_lol:
What do you consider a rim shot? Are these rim shots?

That's just the first clip I pulled up...no reason in particular. Could do the same thing with any of the drummers I listed. Again, I'm not talking about playing loudly. I'm talking about rim shots on every backbeat.

EDIT: Here's another. Are these rim shots?

I'll stop now.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you consider a rim shot? Are these rim shots?

That's just the first clip I pulled up...no reason in particular. Could do the same thing with any of the drummers I listed. Again, I'm not talking about playing loudly. I'm talking about rim shots on every backbeat.

EDIT: Here's another. Are these rim shots?

I'll stop now.

Both videos are both clearly rimshots. Do you know what a rimshot is?

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to modify my first statement on this thread. I am speaking from a band in a bar/club venue. Dynamics is big. From a CONCERT venue- oookay- bring your brick of sticks and gloves. Rim shot on the back- cymbal bell on the ride or no one will notice you are there. Now- whats the chance many if us get to play a concert venue? Yes. A few here do! But for us band drummers gigging in bars clubs and the occasional dance hall ( now you can bang harder) playing to the music and not trying to out play the guitars is a better sound for the audience.