Hitting the left crash cymbal with traditional grip

dbc254

Reaction score
This must have been addressed before, but if not, I'd love everyone's input. Been playing traditional grip forever, but never really thought about ergonomics until I got a little older. What is the most ergonomic/efficient way to hit the left crash cymbal (if right-handed it typically sits above/to the left of the rack tom) using traditional grip of your left hand? Very interested to hear any genuine input.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the most ergonomic/efficient way to hit the left crash cymbal (if right-handed it typically sits above/to the left of the rack tom) using traditional grip of your left hand?
I don't use my left hand. I use a drumstick.

(Held in my left hand)

I've never really thought about how I do it. I just do it.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if your cymbal is a thin/medium crash, you'd have no problem laying into it with traditional grip. Ferrone is a beast with it as stated above.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At three o'clock.
What is the most ergonomic/efficient way to hit the left crash cymbal (if right-handed it typically sits above/to the left of the rack tom) using traditional grip of your left hand?
I'd say hit the cymbal between "3 o'clock" and "5 o'clock". You might like the cymbal off to the left a bit more than with matched.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of it depends on exactly where your crash is positioned compared to your orientation as well. In that Tommy Igoe video he's seated in a way where that crash is more in front of him that really "left-side", you can see based on his hips that it's positioned straight in front of him. In the Thelonious Monk video it's a great way to hit it as long as your cymbals are slanted enough to grab an edge almost along the crash.

As far as actual technique I tend to hit mine like a shaker when I'm in that position (not often). I seat/position myself like a matched grip doublebass player so my left side crash is generally centered just inside my left knee when sitting (so a little to the right of center of the hi hat). I was taught to "cup water" when playing traditional so my motion is more extension/flexion than it is adduction/abduction. I roll my hand open a bit more and go for what feels to me like a shaker motion when I need to go father left with my traditional stroke.

I've included a picture to show the definitions of motion I'm talking about, to make sure there's no confusion between the common use of flexion and the technical movement in relation to the wrist.
hands.png

dbc254

Reaction score
I don't use my left hand. I use a drumstick.

(Held in my left hand)

I've never really thought about how I do it. I just do it.
Me either until I took some time off and went back to playing and it hurt. It was like re-learning from scratch in a lot of ways. Paying a LOT more attention to ergonomics than the 1st go-round.

dbc254

Reaction score
At three o'clock.

I'd say hit the cymbal between "3 o'clock" and "5 o'clock". You might like the cymbal off to the left a bit more than with matched.
That's news I can use! Playing with moving the crash a little left and going between 3 & 5 o'clock did the trick! THX!!!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's news I can use! Playing with moving the crash a little left and going between 3 & 5 o'clock did the trick! THX!!!
Great to hear!
Thinking about it, it's a weird motion, striking with the tip outside the cymbal, but it works. I guess with a cymbal higher up or further to the right, you could also hit around "8 o'clock" with the stick tip above the cymbal.

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been working on my bass drum along with the left hand crash. I'm so used to the right hand crash and foot - trying to make it feel more natural.