Holes In Gretsch (Jasper) Shells

little rock

Reaction score
I have "part" of a Gretsch Broadcaster kit. I say "part" meaning I have the 20" bass drum and two 12" toms, no floor tom, in pink satin flame. Also got a 14" 1958 Round Badge FT with it. I think they are SS badged, haven't looked at them in quite some time. They were drilled for a Slingerland Set-O-Matic tom holders. If I eventually redo these, should I fill the holes, leave them and reinstall the Slingerland stuff, or what to make them more sellable, or should I just sell them a piece at a time? I also have a (Jasper) Gretsch 22" BD, 13", 16" and 18" toms that I'm keeping, so may end up keeping the Broadcasters along with my bop kits and sell all my Slingerland drums that I talked about in the Thinning The Herd thread that I started a while back and stay all Gretsch. What's a fella to do?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
You can't undo that...even if you do (filled extra holes are still considered extra holes). I'd just embrace the Slingerland holders as being far superior to anything Gretsch was offering at the time...which is no doubt why they were put on in the first place.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Slingerland mount was a common upgrade. You’ve got nice jazz size drums there probably best to keep them as is. Perfect for small group jazz, big band or pop drumming.

tim

Reaction score
Agreed. Just roll with it. Mine has a slingerland and it is just part of that drum.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know why this isn't more common knowledge, but a Gretsch/W&A tom mount, Slingy tom mount, and Ludwig center post are the same drill pattern (yes, aware Slingy and Ludwig penetrate the shell). A diamond Gretsch FT leg mount is the same 12 and 6. A Rogers mount is the same 9 and 3. A Rogers mount can be used with a Ludwig tom/FT mount's holes, but not the reverse since the Ludwig isn't flush to the back, though there should be enough thread to work if you ground it down.

SO MANY of the extra holes ever drilled weren't necessary. Trial and error and maybe 3 swipes with a file.

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know why this isn't more common knowledge, but a Gretsch/W&A tom mount, Slingy tom mount, and Ludwig center post are the same drill pattern (yes, aware Slingy and Ludwig penetrate the shell). A diamond Gretsch FT leg mount is the same 12 and 6. A Rogers mount is the same 9 and 3. A Rogers mount can be used with a Ludwig tom/FT mount's holes, not not the reverse since the Ludwig isn't flush to the back, though there should be enough thread to work if you ground it down.

SO MANY of the extra holes ever drilled weren't necessary. Trial and error and maybe 3 swipes with a file.
If you use the older setomatic double Tom mount (not the super setomatic with the long arms) you don’t need to drill a big hole on the Tom. I’ve done this on gretsch Toms.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you use the older setomatic double Tom mount (not the super setomatic with the long arms) you don’t need to drill a big hole on the Tom. I’ve done this on gretsch Toms.
Solid option if you're using a stand. The Slingy isn't the World's Greatest Tom Holder, but the equivalent Gretsch is such a clob job (it's literally two rail uprights on a chunk of tube stock) that something with one point of adjustment is a step up.