Holey snare drum project

healthie1

Reaction score
Hey boys!

starting to wittel down my amassing projects; first up is re-doing this projects near I picked up with a bunch of other bits and pieces for 100 bucks. The guy cut down six ply I think one week 14 inch time and made this 14 x 6 1/2 snare drum with three rooms. Kia offset the lugs and I don’t like that style, and I can use the lugs for my best to like Tom project so I am going to replace the lights make this a functioning drum.

My plan is to paint the inside of it from white once all the holes are filled I’m just wondering if there’s any consideration to the kind of paint and if that will affect the tone. I’m imagining a gloss white paint.

Attachments

healthie1

Reaction score
Hey boys!

starting to wittel down my amassing projects; first up is re-doing this drum I picked up with a bunch of other bits and pieces for 100 bucks. The guy cut down This six ply 14” inch tom and made this 14 x 6 1/2 snare drum with offset lugs. I don’t like offset lugs, and I can use the lugs for my vistalite Tom project so I am going to replace the lmake this a functioning drum.

My plan is to paint the inside of it white once all the holes are filled. I’m wondering if there’s any consideration to the kind of paint and if that will affect the tone. I’m imagining a gloss white paint.
I used talk-to-text and my initial post was incomprehensible; changed this.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I woulda left it as is put tube lugs and new strainer and butt and called it a day. Tube lugs would of made the offset not so bad looking.

healthie1

Reaction score
I woulda left it as is put tube lugs and new strainer and butt and called it a day. Tube lugs would of made the offset not so bad looking.
I agree; tube lugs are sort of okay as off-set. I have a set of Japanese double-sided lugs I'm going to throw on; so it's going to be an economic project. I want some practice with doing this sort of work, too.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree; tube lugs are sort of okay as off-set. I have a set of Japanese double-sided lugs I'm going to throw on; so it's going to be an economic project. I want some practice with doing this sort of work, too.
Very cool what color you wrapping it.

healthie1

Reaction score
Day one:
Built a routing table twice
Cut edges unsuccessfully
Glued sandpaper to MDF to sand the shells flat first
Repaired 5 cymbals - this was my first time doing it and it’s super easy. IMO, cymbals with big chunks out of the edge don’t sound good even when repaired, but cracks along the middle of the cymbal sound better. Will play them a bit and likely sell most of them.
Glued patches of this snare & filled with wood filler

Attachments