Holy Crap - Shipping International Is Insane

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I found a couple of sources for a Sonor Teardrop cymbal rubber in Europe. The part is not expensive ($7-$9), but the quote for shipping was way insane.

Quote one source: "The Usual shipping cost for the item would be 8€. But because of the coronavirus situation the regular shipping methods are mor available anymore. The lowest rate I've found is 52,99€!!"

So if anyone in US has one of these, I would be happy to pay normal shipping.....

UPDATE info - I has some parts shipped from Germany at beginning of March for normal rate. But cost has exploded in April. Seems to originate from US side of the equation, not Europe.

Sonor Cymbal Rubber.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have any, but I also wanted to get 3 myself.

Wonder how or if it affects the sound and play of the cymbals?

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I looked at sending a 4 pound total weight package through USPO to Great Britain

Priority - $70.00 U.S. (only way I could find on line)

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It had been a few years since I shipped internationally. I had to send a few things to the UK, and was shocked at how much even small parcels cost to send. To make matters worse, to get any level of insurance you have to use the even more expensive services, and even then the amount of insurance was very limited (which is even more odd, since you could get additional insurance sending to other countries using the slightly less expensive services, but not to the UK). I was told by someone in Australia that sending something to the US from there is much more reasonable than sending from the US to Australia. I've heard various possible explanations for the untenable costs, including deals made between the postal service and mega merchants, but it really does make doing business or even sending gifts internationally prohibitive.

Browny

Reaction score
It had been a few years since I shipped internationally. I had to send a few things to the UK, and was shocked at how much even small parcels cost to send. To make matters worse, to get any level of insurance you have to use the even more expensive services, and even then the amount of insurance was very limited (which is even more odd, since you could get additional insurance sending to other countries using the slightly less expensive services, but not to the UK). I was told by someone in Australia that sending something to the US from there is much more reasonable than sending from the US to Australia. I've heard various possible explanations for the untenable costs, including deals made between the postal service and mega merchants, but it really does make doing business or even sending gifts internationally prohibitive.
Yeah, it's one of the negatives of being an island nation. Shipping can suck. It can be alright (cheap/reasonable) if it's coming in via a large corporation (Amazon, ASOS, etc) where they're bringing in a heap of stuff in one go, but even then it can take a month to land.

As an example... if I jump on ebay now and look at Supra's (light drum) in the UK and US, the automatically estimated shipping tends to be between $120 to $200. Heavier drums (bell brass) could be another $100 more to get down under.

Air travel also sucks... you've got to budget for a minimum of $1000 (that's a sale price) and around 24 hours (with a shortish layover) to get to the States or the UK. Although on the flipside it's certainly helping with current circumstances...

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found a couple of sources for a Sonor Teardrop cymbal rubber in Europe. The part is not expensive ($7-$9), but the quote for shipping was way insane.

Quote one source: "The Usual shipping cost for the item would be 8€. But because of the coronavirus situation the regular shipping methods are mor available anymore. The lowest rate I've found is 52,99€!!"

So if anyone in US has one of these, I would be happy to pay normal shipping.....

View attachment 437442
Which country is this?

It depends on which country I think.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have the seller stick it on Reverb and buy it there. You probably can't get anyone to touch their shipping rate.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a floor tom from Germany recently and the postage To the US was 55 euros by dhl. However, the seller is keeping it until the prices drop a little bit, per my request.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shipping sucks even here in the states. My mailing place guy told me (when I was shocked by a price) that shipping, including the USPS, now base pricing on size not weight for most stuff. Light as a feather box will cost a bunch if it takes up space.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are the Dutch Royal Post prices:

You can adjust the weight to see the differences.

Prices never will come down, they will only rise.

Browny

Reaction score
There's another alternative... by water.

My Radio Kings made their way from the states to Australia on a boat. I can't remember how long it took, maybe a couple of months door to door? The seller arranged it, from memory he was bringing several kits over together. I'm not sure if he had a hookup with some shipping company or just paid for 'water freight' (?) plus a courier from the docks to me, but I think he charged me about $150 AUD instead of $1500 odd (26" kick... and no way would I buy them with a shipping cost like that).

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
There's another alternative... by water.

My Radio Kings made their way from the states to Australia on a boat. I can't remember how long it took, maybe a couple of months door to door? The seller arranged it, from memory he was bringing several kits over together. I'm not sure if he had a hookup with some shipping company or just paid for 'water freight' (?) plus a courier from the docks to me, but I think he charged me about $150 AUD instead of $1500 odd (26" kick... and no way would I buy them with a shipping cost like that).
He needs to ship some cymbal stand rubber things from Germany to the US.

Latest posts