header.nohb.html

Holy Grail cymbals

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found most of my holy grails. In fact, I have 4 in my collection. These are cymbals that are so perfect to me that I have no desire to replace them or add to my collection.

18" small stamp A Zildjian, around 1300g. It's just such a sweet and smooth crash.
18" old stamp K Zildjian, around 1500g. It's dark and crunchy. It opens up quickly as a crash, and doesn't build up too much as a ride.
21" Sabian Tosco Country Ride, modded by Matt Bettis. Started out life around 3100g, but now is around 2600g. He also hammered some character into it. It's like Sabian HH meets K Con.
24" A Zildjian block stamp ride, around 3600g. This is the perfect ride. It is low, smooth and mellow with no annoying high-end chime at all. It just fits into any situation perfectly.

Now I just need the perfect hi hats.

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
Know what I'd like to find?
A 20"+ Zilco Constantinople. I've seen a stamp like this with a trans stamp on the same 22" cymbal, so I think there's a chance I will see one some day.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My holy grail cymbal that I own is definitely my Paiste 18” blue label 602 china type.
Holy grail cymbal I would love to own is a 22” Paiste 602 dark ride. One of the early 1970’s originals before they became part of the sound creation series.

Rivot

Reaction score
My holy grail cymbals are all my Paiste 2002s that I've had for many years and still sound as good as ever.

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
So far loving the answers!

Yes- for me, a 22" Sound Creation Bell Ride *could* be the holy grail ride. Through lots of purchases, I found my ride sound. I have my holy grail hats. Can't find my china (yet!).

Some of you have your home sound. That's fantastic!

I hope we can keep this going.

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The some what mythical 22inch paiste sound creation dark flat ride!

I'll see your 22" Sound Creation Dark Flat Ride

And I'll raise you a 24" Sound Creation Dark Flat Ride.

I'm one who failed to record more detail about that 24" or save photos. :-( From memory there were several other 24" Sound Creations (other models) made for Danny Gottlieb and sold with his signature on top. Plus I've got two more weights and sales records to add to the 22" entry. Hardly mythical. Just rare.

I should add I'm not after these particular cymbals as my holy grail. My holy grail is to get all the information on my disk processed and in the wiki, and not just for Paiste. ;-)

Last edited:

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it’s the 2 cymbals I played in high school. 14” A Rock Hats, and a 20” A Crash/Ride. Both from the early 90s. I’ve continued to go back and play in the pit orchestra for their musicals over that 15+ years since I’ve graduated, so I’ve been able to keep playing them intermittently. Are they the best cymbals in the world? No, but I have the most history with them. Lots of memories of who I’ve played with, and who I’ve played for.
So they are my grail cymbals, because I may never get the chance to own them, but I’ve had the pleasure of playing them for a long time.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hmm this is a great question!!! Not sure what my holy grail cymbals would be but I would love to see a master cymbal smith take a 22” b8 and do the process that goes into k cons or meinls and see what it would sound like. I’ve heard great things from other cymbal smiths with b8

Miked91893

Reaction score
All my rides are 24” and Paiste. A Giant Beat, a 2002 Big Beat and a Masters JR deep Ride. I’ve got a 24” 2002 Ride on the way which I’m looking forward to. To round them off I’ve also got a 24” 2002 JR swish which is a beauty. I’ve got one 22” ride which is the Masters Thin which I really use as a crash/ride in quieter rooms or rehearsals.
Ive got an eye open for a 26” Giant Beat but I’m thinking I’ll have to just order one unheard/ unplayed.
I own a Paiste 22” Prototype, which I believe this particular one was made from the Masters line. I also have the 2oo2 24” Ride. I LOVE everything about the 2oo2 except for the crash. I’m almost tempted to get the Rev Al’s Ride. I’ve heard it’s like a Giant Beat with 2oo2 color. I’m a minimalist and only have 2 crashes, hi-hats , & ride. I want to keep the 24” ride, but I want a deeper crash to compliment my 20”.

Gavynnnnn

Reaction score
What is your holy grail cymbal? I suppose for me, it's the 22" Paiste Sound Creation Bell Ride. I have the 20". I have a 26" Giant Beat that I wouldn't depart with. 14" 602 hats are ones that I love. Maybe a china cymbal that I like LOL
I have a really really nice K Custom Dark 18” Crash. It may not be anything vintage or rare, but every time I compare it to other models of the same size it just has this perfect tone and ring that I haven’t heard in equivalent cymbals.

I also really really love my Heartbeat Studio 14” hats. It’s not one of the crazy sizes of hats they sell, but it’s got an incredibly memorable sound for hats of this size. They’re really bulky (about 7 lbs for the both of them), but they still have a crisp air to them when open. They have a nice chink when closed as well due to the thickness, and they have an interesting lathing pattern. On top of all of that they’re hand-hammered in the same facilities as Istanbul Agop in Turkey I believe.

29C58E4F-1C1A-461C-AD1F-12BCC55A9EBC.jpeg

The only drawback to them is having to remember my ex-fiancée who gifted them to me two weeks before we broke up. LOL!

Last edited:

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably two that I've owned and cracked over the years, and tried my hardest to find replacements for-
a 20" NOS 60s A Zildjian Medium Ride
a 20" IAK Zildjian Heavy ride

I've owned 4 or 5 other examples of each cymbal and none came close! I'm sure it was just the level of familiarity I had with each. But they were both excellent. And i remember when I cracked each one, and both times were experiences I wouldn't trade away, so I don't regret either.

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably two that I've owned and cracked over the years, and tried my hardest to find replacements for-
a 20" NOS 60s A Zildjian Medium Ride
a 20" IAK Zildjian Heavy ride

I've owned 4 or 5 other examples of each cymbal and none came close! I'm sure it was just the level of familiarity I had with each. But they were both excellent. And i remember when I cracked each one, and both times were experiences I wouldn't trade away, so I don't regret either.
I'm curious how you managed to crack a 20" K Heavy Ride. I own both a 20" K Heavy and a 22" K Heavy, and I can't imagine any playing situation where I could break either one.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
I am not judging; simply surprised by your answer.

Please elaborate.
It’s a new revelation. Now it’s a Goldilocks search for exactly the right size.

I played a rehearsal and then a gig with a Moderator under my Ride cymbal’s bell.

I noticed I could hear everyone better - my Guitar player wasn’t playing as loud - and my Bass player wasn’t struggling to hear my Guitar player.

Could it be that my Ride’s high frequencies and uncontrolled roaring cushion was was actually causing a problem? I tamed it down a bit and things just seemed better.

I’m still experimenting.

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
It’s a new revelation. Now it’s a Goldilocks search for exactly the right size.

I played a rehearsal and then a gig with a Moderator under my Ride cymbal’s bell.

I noticed I could hear everyone better - my Guitar player wasn’t playing as loud - and my Bass player wasn’t struggling to hear my Guitar player.

Could it be that my Ride’s high frequencies and uncontrolled roaring cushion was was actually causing a problem? I tamed it down a bit and things just seemed better.

I’m still experimenting.
Checked them out. Cool concept that I may dabble with. Thanks for the info!