Holy moly! Funch, jazz cymbals from Denmark.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been a Zildjian guy for 25 years, and it's not been easy for other brands to get my attention, or more so that I just have not heard anything specifically interesting from others. Until a month ago.
Happened to bump into Funch cymbals in YouTube, that are handmade in Denmark. And while I'm not easily impressed, almost all of these sound really, REALLY good to me!
Somehow they seem to have very nice stick definition for such thin cymbals, and that's what I have been missing on most of Turkish cymbals nowadays. Weights have gone down, but most of them have started to sound bit too messy and undefined to me.

I actually had a phone call with Lasse yesterday, and I was so impressed about his passionate approach and know-how about hammering that I decided to visit his workshop next week. It's actually in another country, and takes me 6 hours in a train to each direction. But I just know that this will bug me if I don't go and test them live.

Check these out, he had lots of great sounding cymbals on his channel.

This last one is on hold for me. Not specifically thin one, but probably very usable on blues/r'n'b gigs too. Really like the strong contrast between high stick attack and low pitch of the cymbal. Reminds me of Mel Lewis' sound on some of his recordings.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am very interested in what you find. I've been on this quest for a while now. Looking forward to your comments.

ggmerino

Reaction score
I got a feeling that the secret is out - Lasse is making some very special cymbals. I bought a 1904g 21.5” Astro cymbal a couple of months ago and it has quickly become my favorite cymbal bar none. Incredible stick and great controlled wash for such a light cymbal. Just ordered another cymbal to complement it.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got hip to his work recntly. Very VERY high level cymbals at least through youtube and headphones. For me the Bill Stewart cymbals are his best or at least speak to me the most.
l love unique cymbals... that's why l have many Matt Bettis cymbals.... Funch is certainly up there with him and Craig Lauritsen.
Also check out this artisan in Japan who l recently discovered[!] Wow

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a feeling that the secret is out - Lasse is making some very special cymbals. I bought a 1904g 21.5” Astro cymbal a couple of months ago and it has quickly become my favorite cymbal bar none. Incredible stick and great controlled wash for such a light cymbal. Just ordered another cymbal to complement it.
Wow, sounds great. What's the other you ordered? Is it still in the making?

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes! I posted about him here a couple months ago. His work is my favorite sounding of any of the smaller artisans (at least in the videos). All respect to the others, but my next big ticket artisan cymbal will be a Funch.

ThomasL

Reaction score
Markku, keep us posted. I checked out his youtube videos a few months ago. In the studio videos, all the cymbals sound great, but the others might not do the cymbals justice. I'd be curious to hear how they feel under the stick and how they sound in person.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes! I posted about him here a couple months ago. His work is my favorite sounding of any of the smaller artisans (at least in the videos). All respect to the others, but my next big ticket artisan cymbal will be a Funch.
Oh, wow, yeah you're right. And it seems that it was that thread where I first heard them. Thanks for posting that!

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those are freaking amazing..at least the videos

Damn...so much Tony Williams vibe going on. And yeah great stick sound

But im not buying

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I've been a Zildjian guy for 25 years, and it's not been easy for other brands to get my attention, or more so that I just have not heard anything specifically interesting from others. Until a month ago.
Happened to bump into Funch cymbals in YouTube, that are handmade in Denmark. And while I'm not easily impressed, almost all of these sound really, REALLY good to me!
Somehow they seem to have very nice stick definition for such thin cymbals, and that's what I have been missing on most of Turkish cymbals nowadays. Weights have gone down, but most of them have started to sound bit too messy and undefined to me.

I actually had a phone call with Lasse yesterday, and I was so impressed about his passionate approach and know-how about hammering that I decided to visit his workshop next week. It's actually in another country, and takes me 6 hours in a train to each direction. But I just know that this will bug me if I don't go and test them live.

Check these out, he had lots of great sounding cymbals on his channel.

This last one is on hold for me. Not specifically thin one, but probably very usable on blues/r'n'b gigs too. Really like the strong contrast between high stick attack and low pitch of the cymbal. Reminds me of Mel Lewis' sound on some of his recordings.

Went and tried his stuff in Copenhagen some three years ago (I live just 45 minutes away), when he just started getting more serious. Was not super impressed. Nice modifications, but they all sounded, hmm, like you just shave some hundred grams of an old Avedis and hammer it a bit.

But a lot has happened! Went to his workshop just before Christmas and bought that Joe Chambers Tribute you linked to above. Has a bit more weight to it than much of his other stuff. Super happy with it.

I can definitely recommend his stuff. Super nice dude, good drummer, and you can tell he has a passion for what he does.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Went and tried his stuff in Copenhagen some three years ago (I live just 45 minutes away), when he just started getting more serious. Was not super impressed. Nice modifications, but they all sounded, hmm, like you just shave some hundred grams of an old Avedis and hammer it a bit.

But a lot has happened! Went to his workshop just before Christmas and bought that Joe Chambers Tribute you linked to above. Has a bit more weight to it than much of his other stuff. Super happy with it.

I can definitely recommend his stuff. Super nice dude, good drummer, and you can tell he has a passion for what he does.
Cool story, thanks for sharing! That Joe Chambers tribute was one of my favourites, judging just by the videos, congratulations on that one.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A new name for me and thanks for the videos.... super impressed with these tones! I was also struck by your statement...

"Somehow they seem to have very nice stick definition for such thin cymbals, and that's what I have been missing on most of Turkish cymbals nowadays. Weights have gone down, but most of them have started to sound bit too messy and undefined to me."

As a lover of Turkish plates, I could not agree more with this more, I just never thought to put it into words... now I will borrow yours. A very strong insight.

Ward

Latest posts