Home Recording - 1st attempt

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Band is messing around with recording from home during this break. I set up in my bathroom this afternoon, snare and hats. SM57 and recorded with my Presonous StudioLive board. For a quick mix and recording it sounds pretty good. My wife was in the living room and said she couldn't hear the drums, checked with my neighbor and they couldn't either....was pretty excited about that, might try a full kit next weekend.

Just a sample of the track http://chriswalther.com/track/2289103/bathroom-recording

91261742_10220631922975237_1864129236550287360_o.jpg

fishstix94

Reaction score
I'm jealous! Living in an apt and havent been able to play in forever! Sounds great!

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool. Spoiler alert! Seeing your set up in the picture I wasn't expecting it to end in a crash, but a flush.

D

Drummer1990

For it being recorded in a Lou that sounded F'ing amazing! Bravo,love your snare collection on your page
Phil

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Where is the b-@$$ drum???
Most of the country hits that I love "Ray Price Shuffles" were all hats and snare only....but the real reason is I didn't know if I knew what I was doing enough to bring the kick in....I was already getting enough grief from wife and mother in law about bringing my drums in the house. This isolation thing really is making me wish we had bought a house with one more bedroom....I need some social distancing from those I live with it!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really good, Chris!

I'd say that that recording is about as good as it gets in representing how a real snare drum sounds.

Maybe one day our recording technology will be good enough to reproduce the sound of a real band. Or a real orchestra. We're a long way from that now. Once things start getting crowded into a stereo mix, the realism goes right out the window.

GeeDeeEmm

m_anderson

Reaction score
Used to have that Presonus board and used it to mix a whole band into two tracks. Worked really well. Have to post one of my favorite cartoons here because it is so appropriate.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Really good, Chris!

I'd say that that recording is about as good as it gets in representing how a real snare drum sounds.

Maybe one day our recording technology will be good enough to reproduce the sound of a real band. Or a real orchestra. We're a long way from that now. Once things start getting crowded into a stereo mix, the realism goes right out the window.

GeeDeeEmm
Yeah the snare recorded the way it sounds to my ears something that is not done much lately

Latest posts