Home Recording Issues ID’d

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, being new to recording at home, I had a hell of a time getting my Logic Pro to work on my MacBook Pro with a 1T SSD and 16 gb of upgraded memory. I’m using a Presonus 1824c USB-C interface and we tracked yesterday with my guitar player running it since he’s a Logic freak.

First problem was getting all 7 tracks to arm in record mode. My lack of experience with said equipment and Logic proved to be an easy fix. I didn't assign each channel with individual inputs in Logic. That was quickly ID’d. We were recording in a low buffer size (32) but we had this strange clicking noise that wasn’t mechanical. We checked.

So, my thought was to go get my MacMini (Mid 2012) running Mojave, again with a 1T SSD and 16 gb of RAM. The problem went away. So, my assumption is the MacBook Pro (also a mid 2012 running Mojave) didn’t have the computing power necessary to handle the 1824c.

Wild ass guess for sure but it now works with the MacMini. I’ll be trying a 2 channel Presonus interface with the MacBook later to see if we still get the noise.

Onward!

Last edited:

kallen49

Reaction score
I’ve recorded using a laptop PC and the ”clicking” was the processor unable to handle the task.
I‘d guess your Mac mini has a faster processor than the Macbook?
FWIW I have read that the Reaper DAW works well on macbooks requiring less processor power and less physical space. It has a learning curve but it’s free to “evaluate”.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Clicking sometimes indicates a clocking error -- were the DAW + the interface set to the same sample rate?

phdamage

Reaction score
+1 for reaper. i've never tracked a large project on an older machine, but it is far easier on CPU than other platforms. also their forums are super helpful and get frequent visits from their developers. also cheap as hell and incorporate some things i wish all DAWs would use - wet/dry blend on all plugs?!! yes, please!

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
DanRH:

How are you running a USB-C interface on a mid-2012 Mac? Assuming some sort of USB A-to-C cable/adapter or hub? In addition to bpaluzzi's suggestion about clocking, you might look at whatever the chain is getting USB C into your machine, since 2012 Macs don't natively support USB AFAIK (Obv I could be misinformed here). Or maybe you meant USB 3?

Unless you're running a bunch of effects in your DAW, your CPU should be able to handle "just" the recording. FWIW, I've been running a couple of different interfaces on old Macs of that same vintage for awhile now, and when I get errors during tracking they're always "disk too slow" that stops recording in its tracks. My current setup is a MacBook Air from around 2012 or so, and I've been able to record 6 or 7 tracks at a time pretty consistently using a USB 2 interface (Focusrite) through GarageBand. I'm not running any effects while recording, tho.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clicking sometimes indicates a clocking error -- were the DAW + the interface set to the same sample rate?
Agreed. Since works on the MacMini, I’m good with that.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DanRH:

How are you running a USB-C interface on a mid-2012 Mac? Assuming some sort of USB A-to-C cable/adapter or hub? In addition to bpaluzzi's suggestion about clocking, you might look at whatever the chain is getting USB C into your machine, since 2012 Macs don't natively support USB AFAIK (Obv I could be misinformed here). Or maybe you meant USB 3?

Unless you're running a bunch of effects in your DAW, your CPU should be able to handle "just" the recording. FWIW, I've been running a couple of different interfaces on old Macs of that same vintage for awhile now, and when I get errors during tracking they're always "disk too slow" that stops recording in its tracks. My current setup is a MacBook Air from around 2012 or so, and I've been able to record 6 or 7 tracks at a time pretty consistently using a USB 2 interface (Focusrite) through GarageBand. I'm not running any effects while recording, tho.
The manual for the Presonus says it shouldn’t be a problem. Like I said, it’s working on my mid 2012 MacMini, so I’m good.