Homemade Pancake - A(nother) A&F DIY Recipe

codydee12

Reaction score
How many ways can you make a pancake? Several ways I presume. I have thought about sharing this for a while and recently recorded with this snare. Figured it would be a good time to share with the world another very amateur attempt at a DIY Pancake.

Shell was originally a PDP POS pretty-poorly-made snare. I bought the single flanged hoops and the same snare throw that A&F uses.

Here are some pics and a 1:15 clip of different snare wire tensions.

For anyone out there thinking about creating one themself - I would say it's worth it. Fun project and a unique sound.

IMG_0443 (1).jpg

IMG_0444 (1).jpg

codydee12

Reaction score
No offense, but you've got to drag it behind your truck for a week and then let it set out in the rain for a month to really get the A&F aesthetic. But all kidding aside-- nice work!
If only you knew the research I put into making it patinated....then decided that I would rather still have those rims in a few years when I am over the a&f look. I do like the dragging behind the truck idea though. That one didn’t come up in my research. Maybe I should give that one a go!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool indeed! And that was NOT the sound I expected to hear from looking at the photos... nice playing as well!

codydee12

Reaction score
Very cool indeed! And that was NOT the sound I expected to hear from looking at the photos... nice playing as well!
Thanks so much! I haven't tightened the heads very much so I think you are basically getting the tone of a couple of loose heads really close to one another. hah.

Thanks for the compliment.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I want to try a pancake with a diplomat reso and a 3-ply mesh head. Billy Blast 3-ply has a poplin middle layer, which is a bit more closed weave than the Remo/Pearl offerings. I think that could be the ticket for a drum sound that matches L80's in volume.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Can share some close-ups of the lugs and snare hardware?