Hoop help

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried posting in General, but no replies. Can anyone refer me to someone, or company that could smooth out, and refinish a 22 inch bass drum hoop? The issues I have.....It's a Starclassic MIJ Bubinga hoop, with a natural Cordia finish. I'll post the pics, and hopefully someone can help me out. I have 45 days to find someone, if not, I can return it, or keep it, and hope I run across one.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can get cordia (bocote) wood veneer for cheap on eBay and try it yourself, or get the wood and have a furniture person either do it all or use your sample to fix & refinish it. May wanna try Precision, too.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can get cordia (bocote) wood veneer for cheap on eBay and try it yourself, or get the wood and have a furniture person either do it all or use your sample to fix & refinish it. May wanna try Precision, too.
Thanks. I had no idea. I kind of lucked out though. I ordered the kit from Wichita, and was supposed to be in excellent condition. It was poor, at best. GC is supposed to be out of Starclassic Bubinga kits too. You can order, but they say 6 month wait. My Buddy who managed the GC near me said the aren't getting anymore. I drove to Delaware (saves a couple bucks in tax), and I saw a Tama tom in the used section with the painted logo. I pulled it out, and although a few years of dust, i found an old brand new kit. I was supposed to get the shipped kit for 22, but they gave me the never played kit for 22. On the website it was going for 33, and none available, so I made out nice.
But, speaking of Cordia...An elderly couple who live a few Houses down came to me telling me about an old Artstar they need to sell b4 they move. Their Son never played em, and sat in cases since they bought em. Double bass, 4 mount Tom's, and 2 floors, with hardware, stands, and cymbals. They asked $400. They're in SC, so gotta wait till 17th to see what I'm dealing with. They guy, who knows nothing about drums said Rosewood. Did Tama make the Artstar with 24 inch kicks, and "Rosewood"?

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where is the flaw on the hoop? I don't see it.

24" kicks? Yes.

Cordia is a type of rosewood.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The largest, most notable is at 8 O'clock. I know I'm don't communicate well in writing, as I'm dyslexic. I'll keep it shorter, as by the time I'm ready to put my thought down, it's gone, or doesn't make sence.

So that kit came, and it was in awful condition. GC has no more Starclassic Bubinga kits, and won't be getting anymore. Luckily, after I was disappointed the kit I was waiting on was a dud, I luckily found an old one, but brand new (never played, tags etc) I did want the MIJ, but as mentioned, it was in awful shape.
I ended up taking the brand new one, at no extra charge. It's not MIJ, but it is an exotic finish with the old quality Bubinga.

I wasn't brief, was I? Lol.
Now GC is running a BAIT and SWITCH!
Maybe I'll put up a short thread warning people about how they're doing it. I spoke to a CSR, and it's very unlikely he's going to do anything about it.
Finding the kit I got today was freaky good luck though, so I'm not terribly upset.

Dougie Stix

Reaction score
If I were you, rather than trying to have it redone, I would find a stain marker that matches and color it in. You could then apply some polyurethane over it to make it shine. Would be pretty easy and would make it nearly disappear.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I were you, rather than trying to have it redone, I would find a stain marker that matches and color it in. You could then apply some polyurethane over it to make it shine. Would be pretty easy and would make it nearly disappear.
Thanks, and I've thought about antique workers as well.
I ended up seeing the kit, and it was trashed.
Guitar center, despite what they advertise, they are out of new (more like non used) Starclassic Bubinga kits. They seem to have a little bait, and switch thing going o
But anyway, I was disappointed to see that kit. So I start looking around, and saw the painted Tama logo on a kit in the used section. I worked my way over, and a never used mint, Starclassic Exotic Bubinga kit. It was the last in the country, and they didn't know they had it.
I am upset it wasn't a mint MIJ, but it's an exotic, and the it has the NOS shells, and got it cheaper, because of their mistake.

But, if I ever come across an issue, I will keep that in mind for sure.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Toast, where was the new kid made? And can you please post some pics of this exotic wood?
The new one is Chinese. I"m alway looking for MIJ first, however they're getting harder to find at a reasonable price., I'm happy with the deal I got on the the Bubinga. If it weren't exotic, or old stock wood, I would have been disappointed, but at the price, I wasn't going to walk away.
It won't be set up, or played, but I always take a few pics.
I also got a Tama B/B Sizes 26, 13, 14, 16, 18...Never been played, tags still on it
Second pic is the 13 B/B sitting on the 26 inch bass. Just got the heads I wanted in.
I'll grab some pics of the "got lucky" kit, and the inside of the shells tomorrow. A 26 B/B bass is going to be fun

Attachments

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love that logo "badge".....
Don't know if I'm following ya?
First pic is Starclassic exotic Bubinga
The second pic, is the mount tom of a "Bonham sized" B/B. 26, 13, 14, 16, 18. The 16 was an add on. I will be playing that kit

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this scratch the only scratch on the hoop? If so, why not rotate the hoop so it is on the bottom covered by your bass drum pedal?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I meant I really like the Starclassic logo lacquered onto the shell like that....
Lol. You confused me. I look way too far into that.
As for the hoop. I ended up passing on that kit. It was a mess. I got the one shown for the price of the used one, minus $250. I ended up getting a good deal.
That's it. GC has no more Starclassic Bubinga kits, unless it's used.
Amazon is sold out too. The last few kits were going for $8650, and they sold.

As for a B/B with the Bonham config, has anyone heard one? I believe 25 were made?
And I am done buying kits (if I want to stay married)

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Grab the Artstar for $400. That's a steal. They were Birch and Cordia 9mm. The Artstar II is Maple. Good score either way.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Grab the Artstar for $400. That's a steal. They were Birch and Cordia 9mm. The Artstar II is Maple. Good score either way.
Yeah, I talked to the owner on Fri. He's got some old cymbals, Camco pedals (wich I know nothing about?) ,and needs to get rid of them.
According to the owners father, they've been in cases for decades. So I'll check them out tomorrow. If nothing else, I know he's got Paiste's, and some Zils.
Here's a few of the pics he sent.
What do ya think?

Attachments

Latest posts