hoop inlay installation?

delco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
need to get a couple new painted hoops with a sparkle inlay... I'm thinking of purchasing the raw hoops and painting them myself which seems straightforward enough. Is installating the inlay pretty easy if I have a hoop that's already got the groove (so to speak 8) ) Haven't tried gluing wrap myself and was curious how tough a job it is... Any particular paint or glue recommendations (3M) and application techniques? Thanks!

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
It's important to make sure the inlay strip will fit inside the inlay groove. If the inlay is too wide it would be hard to trim it back and make it look professional.

I think a pneumatic staple gun would be the ultimate way to go. But lacking that, I use rubber cement. It's fairly forgiving, and the goobers can be removed easily. I've also tried gluing only the ends of the strip, but have found that it's difficult to get the inlay to stay down tight all the way around.

Jammin' Sam's inlay has tape strips which hold well, but the downside is you have an overlap which could potentally snag on something. Unless I'm not doing it right...

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have had a problem gluing over a prainted groove. The wrap pulled loose with paint residue on the back. I did not staple the ends, whichich might have prevented that problem.

LizH

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use 3m cement with superglue gel at the seam.

If it's a new piece of wrap, just leave the protective plastic film on it until you are done to protect from any accidental overage on the cement.

Latest posts