Hoping Roland will make good... (Rejected Warranty Claim)

Nadraw

Reaction score
Questions to the forum: Am I being unreasonable? Should I expect to have to pay for this? Was I just lucky on the previous units I’ve owned? If so, what a terrible design!

I am super disappointed.

I have been playing Roland for 20 years now. Started out on a TD-6, ending on a TD-30, owning practically everything in between, with intentions of moving to a TD-50 kit mid year. I’ve never had an issue with any Roland product I have owned. I have recommended Roland above all other brands to anyone who may ask my opinion.

On Jan 2nd I bought an SPD-30. 3rd one I have owned. I buy them, use them, sell them, realize I wish I hadn’t sold them, buy another… (currently on my 2nd SPD-SX as well) The previous 2 SPD-30s worked flawlessly, and took an exceptional amount of punishment. I cannot count how many times I got a little carried away with my 5B sticks and sent one of the control knobs flying across the room when I missed the pads all together.

With my latest unit I have been playing exclusively with 7A’s, and with a very light hand. The other evening I was playing and, as can happen, I missed the lower right pad, my stick glanced off the plastic casing and hit the Function Knob #1 (right above the menu button). I was totally surprised when I attempted to change a setting and the knob no longer worked! No big deal, I thought… it is a Roland, that should not have happened… they will fix it.

I thought wrong.

I submitted a ticket on Roland.com, explaining what occurred, and received an email back indicating that it was not covered under warranty. I will need to pay shipping and $80 per hour (billed in 15-minute increments) to have them repair it. They will contact me with an estimate after they inspect it, in most cases 3-5 days after receiving it. I called Roland and explained that I needed to talk to someone about a denied warranty claim and was promptly dumped into a voicemail. Waiting to see if I hear back.

So, after 20 years, it looks like I may be done with Roland. No new TD-50 kit. No more recommendations. In fact, my buddy is waiting to hear back on how this gets handled. If Roland has good customer service/support, he will not cancel the $2000+ order he has for a Roland Keyboard setup (currently on back-order). If not, Yamaha will be getting his money... likely mine going forward as well!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is that kind of mishap where I totally can understand them not performing that repair under warranty.

It's one of those "it'd be a lot cooler if ya did" issues that a smart / small company would often help out (even though it's not technically covered), but I don't think they're being unreasonable for not offering that type of above+beyond service.

Northamusi

Reaction score
It is unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to cover a repair under warranty for an item that was purchased used.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to cover a repair under warranty for an item that was purchased used.
Agreed, but not sure it was purchase used.

Trying to get a sensor strip for my FD-7 high hat pedal. Apparently Roland has changed their policy and will no longer send internal repair parts. You need to send to an Authorized Repair Facility. So instead of selling me a $20 part, I am supposed to pay shipping 2 ways, shop time and parts for a $50 used pedal. I have repaired several of the pedals in the past. Takes 10 minutes.

Good luck with your repairs.

Whitten

Reaction score
If your stick hit the function knob and it now doesn't function, how is that a defect with a Roland product and not user generated damage?
If you damage something, you have to pay to have it repaired, that's how things generally go.

Whitten

Reaction score
In fact, my buddy is waiting to hear back on how this gets handled. If Roland has good customer service/support, he will not cancel the $2000+ order he has for a Roland Keyboard setup (currently on back-order). If not, Yamaha will be getting his money... likely mine going forward as well!
So you are threatening them. And I tend to purchase gear I like and want to use, that's my main criteria. If a Yamaha keyboard set up was preferable than a Roland one, he would have ordered Yamaha in the first place.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree 100% with bpaluzzi, and I would add that, if your friend’s expectation is that Yamaha would cover that type of damage under warranty, they might someday be disappointed.

Nadraw

Reaction score
Perspective... And that is why I posed the question (here and on other forums, where I received similar responses). Thanks All!

There are several videos release by Roland that indicate the LCD panel has been specifically designed to take abuse. Which would indicate expectation of misses and the control surface getting hit. (Do not judge my sloppy playing style!) Though they do not call out the knobs…

Conceding to the fact that the warranty does not cover, and you all providing the perspective it should not, I decided to crack the unit open and see what happened in there (why not? No warranty, and it is essentially bricked… unless I only ever want to play the one kit it was on when the knob broke). The knob has a floating potentiometer, with no support of the stem underneath. The stem basically got pushed through the casing. Assuming I can find a matching ohm pot, the style used look to run around 83 cents. 5 solder points. Something any electronic repair joint could rip out in 5 min or less.

If that works, I’ll make some sort of protective cover for the controls.

If there is expectation that the control surface could get smacked, Roland’s choice of potentiometers does not make sense to me… Or, maybe the choice was very intentional… The pot broke, taking the impact, which avoided damaging the circuit board underneath?

Perspective.

Whitten

Reaction score
What I do is place sounds on the far left pads as much as I can. There are a few songs where I have sounds on every pad, and on those songs I am very careful where I am striking, not least of which because I don't want a loud explosion sample to play in a quiet part of the song.
But anyway, I use a (similar) SPD-SX and my samples all start on the left side, and only migrate on the right side (near the controls) when I really need to put them there.