Horizontal mounted bass drums

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just played my version last weekend. I've posted this before. 1960 Rogers Parklane. Cocktail kit, yes, but it uses a real 16" FT as the bass.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Then there was this guy who skipped them altogether!

Is that an out take from "This is Spinal Tap" from just before Stumpy spontaneously combusted?
That was God-awful and disturbing on a few different levels.
'Hilarious' is what I'd call it! The best part is when he descends from the ceiling and then almost falls into the kit and immediately begins playing. :lol:

The talk of confetti and streamers at the beginning is weird, too.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is at least one performance of Mandala on Youtube where you can see Whitey using the horizontal kick as both a BD and a FT. Pretty cool. Probably late 60's.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some pix I had posted in a previous thread:

I think the pedals he used were cocktail drum pedals.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Actually, that came into play last Saturday when that first pic was taken. I set up in the back of a single car garage/workshop, where the band was going to be playing out of (It was behind the house and overlooked the back yard). After the others arrived, I was asked to move the set forward about 10 feet. I picked up the floor tom, and had one of the guys slide my carpet forward. Took about 10 seconds.

It's a ton of fun to play that little kit, and it really is a 4 piece in a 3 piece skin. For this show, I needed to mic the underside of the FT/bass, but instead I loaned the only thing I had--an SM57--to a gal who played a stinging harmonica.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It was a pretty small "fad". More like one or two drummers.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect the dead....

But I was banging away at the rehearsal space and was thinking "Man those toms sound loud in comparison to the bass from the drum seat perspective" Obviously the toms are a lot closer to the ear, and the horizontal orientation of the tom(s) cylinder directs more energy towards our ears. Conversely, the vertical orientation of the bass drum cylinder is further from the ear and radiates in a different direction.

I got to thinking about ole' Pentti Glan setup pictured above again. So, if I can get some opinions.... Why didn't the bass drum evolve to a horizontal configuration (for the drummers sake) or why didn't the toms evolve to a more horizontal configuration (like some of those really bad set up we see on Craigslist photos)?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for making the correction on this thread, Hop.

This old thread used the term "horizontal bass drums" throughout, when, in fact, these were "Vertical Bass Drums."

This mini-trend didn't last long, did it?

GeeDeeEmm

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^^^ Kewl... thanks for posting that pic of FB's kit, I hadn't seen that kit before. Really displays the art in that configuration as well.

I also questioned the evolution as it seems to me that you could lower your toms quite a bit, and in many cases you might even get them fairly parallel to the level of the snare.
I currently play 26" bass drums with 12" & 13" toms and wouldn't mind switching out the 13" for my 14", but hoisting that drum 10" + above a 26" bass certainly makes it a bit harder to get to!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting to see those drums being "de-coupled" from traditional positioning with the adaptation of double-bass drum pedal hardware.
Abe Laborial Jr. comes to mind as does this set pictured below from Stanley Love...

Also, I wonder how those decouple kits affect the sound.
I like the resonance that can build between drums in a more traditional lay, but wonder if it is more "dry" when decoupled?

Attachments