header.nohb.html

Horrible news...our own Mike Layton has passed on.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have been on vacation where I have been out of cell service and just found out about this. Very sad news as Mike was a great guy. I always looked forward to seeing him at the Chicago show. The show won't be the same without him and I valued all of his great Ludwig knowledge. R.I.P. Mike.

ludwigjim

Reaction score
I have just been made aware that our own Mike Layton, long time member and valued Admin to the site was killed in a motorcycle accident last night.
Here is what I know. RIP my friend, man this is ugly.

"According to reports, Layton was operating a Harley Davidson motorcycle on US-601 near Lachicotte Road in Lugoff, when for unknown reasons, the bike went down around 7 p.m. Saturday.

Layton was pronounced dead of blunt force trauma injuries at the scene.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation."
Absolutely terrible news. RIP Mike

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of his last posts is a tough read....RIP

Screenshot_20220918-072912.jpg

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
Oh boy. That just hit me like a ton of bricks. Mike offered me such great insight and advice into a couple of drums I had over the years. Such a shame.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the first i saw of this, sad news indeed.

as we see from reading the numerous responses, mike was a well respected man.
he was a knowledgeable positive contributor , and he will be missed.

my condolences to his family and friends.
rest in peace mike ,we were all fortunate to have you here.

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on the forum for a while. I just read this and am sorry to hear of Mike's passing. He was a true gentleman and was always helpful here on this site.
Godspeed Mike and my condolences to his family.
He will be missed here on the forum.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently restored a keystone Supra....for sale....as I posted it, I was saddened as I thought of Mike. Almost without fail, he always liked, commented on any of my F/S posts and especially the ones involving a restore effort. He was such an encouragement, not to mention a generous wealth of knowledge and advice.

No doubt that we lost one of our mostly certainly valuable, big hearted, seasoned, wisest, best ambassadors in the vast drum community. He most certainly made the world a much better place and was a potent blessing from our Lord who now holds him.

Thank you Mike for being that blessing.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently restored a keystone Supra....for sale....as I posted it, I was saddened as I thought of Mike. Almost without fail, he always liked, commented on any of my F/S posts and especially the ones involving a restore effort. He was such an encouragement, not to mention a generous wealth of knowledge and advice.

No doubt that we lost one of our mostly certainly valuable, big hearted, seasoned, wisest, best ambassadors in the vast drum community. He most certainly made the world a much better place and was a potent blessing from our Lord who now holds him.

Thank you Mike for being that blessing.
Very true! And his specialty seemed to me to be 1964-65 Ludwig drums,, Ludwig snares including Acrolites, Supras and wooden snares and especially Zildjian A's ! I conversed with him several times a week.
A generous guy with his time, encouragement and sharing of his knowledge!

sonicD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just checked in after some time away and this is the news? Bummer. So sorry to hear this.

My condolences go out to Mike's family and friends.

kzac

Reaction score
I have just been made aware that our own Mike Layton, long time member and valued Admin to the site was killed in a motorcycle accident last night.
Here is what I know. RIP my friend, man this is ugly.

"According to reports, Layton was operating a Harley Davidson motorcycle on US-601 near Lachicotte Road in Lugoff, when for unknown reasons, the bike went down around 7 p.m. Saturday.

Layton was pronounced dead of blunt force trauma injuries at the scene.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation."

I never had the pleasure of knowing Mike, seems as though some folks knew him well.

From what I can gather from the report where the accident actually occurred. (Channel 19 news),
There is a motel there called the Raspberry Court. Their driveway is crescent shaped, about 800 ft in length, right off the side of "Main Street" The speed limit there is 45 mph... At the South Eastern end of the motels driveway is a huge tree that has leaves all the way to the ground (akin to a huge bush).

If Mike had been traveling South on Main Street, in the far right hand lane, and someone at the motel pulled out of the South Eastern end of their parking lot, not seeing Mike because the tree was in their line of sight. Mike most likely attempted to avoid the accident which is what caused him to loose control of his bike.

Reacting to emergency situations on a motorcycle can be a hair raising experience even if it ends well. I am sorry you folks lost a friend, but this analysis of the situation might provide some closure as to what most likely occurred. You might want to contact the owner of that motel and have him chop down that tree, in Mikes good name. Maybe its removal will save lives.