header.nohb.html

Horrible news...our own Mike Layton has passed on.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I never had the pleasure of knowing Mike, seems as though some folks knew him well.

From what I can gather from the report where the accident actually occurred. (Channel 19 news),
There is a motel there called the Raspberry Court. Their driveway is crescent shaped, about 800 ft in length, right off the side of "Main Street" The speed limit there is 45 mph... At the South Eastern end of the motels driveway is a huge tree that has leaves all the way to the ground (akin to a huge bush).

If Mike had been traveling South on Main Street, in the far right hand lane, and someone at the motel pulled out of the South Eastern end of their parking lot, not seeing Mike because the tree was in their line of sight. Mike most likely attempted to avoid the accident which is what caused him to loose control of his bike.

Reacting to emergency situations on a motorcycle can be a hair raising experience even if it ends well. I am sorry you folks lost a friend, but this analysis of the situation might provide some closure as to what most likely occurred. You might want to contact the owner of that motel and have him chop down that tree, in Mikes good name. Maybe its removal will save lives.

Thanks for the info, makes sense, bikes are cool but man oh man when the driver of the car doesnt see you.....its no contest, I know I almost hit a guy on a bike, just didnt see him, Ugh.

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been away from the forum for a couple of months. Sorry to come back to this news.
I got one of my favorite snares from Mike a few years ago. Was a pleasure to deal with.

Sneauman

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been away for a while, so sorry to hear this. I always liked Mike, he was a wealth of information and helped me a lot when I started getting into Ludwig snares, many years ago. R.I.P. my brother, I'll ride one of my Harley's in your honor, today. :angel7:

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been away from the forum for several months and dang...this is horrible news. Mike was great and made this place better. I will try to remember to pray for his loved ones.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m late to this thread but god bless Mike and his family. I spoke to him quite often on here . He was a straight up guy