Hoshino era Camco

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have these on the way and to be honest the main reason I purchased them was the rarely seen matching wooden snare.

Yes the snare does have the same Camco badge as the rest of the drums. Anyone else seen a wooden Hoshino era Camco snare other than Elvin Jones's kit?

Manny

Attachments

Jolo

Reaction score
I have a Mint 22/12/13/16/6 1/2 snare and will probably bring a 18/12/14 to the Chicago Show.
Nice Jasper or Keller shells with beautiful bearing edges.
I'd love to find a 20/12/14.

Attachments

Last edited:

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! Well I guess at least 3 of these snares exist. That bop kit is very cool. Love that other set also.

Cheers,

Manny

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bought it and returned it. I too was most interested in the snare but figured someone needed/wanted it more. It is rare indeed!

BTW there is a lot of cool threads about the set. Elvins set had different badges with exception to the snare which shares the same as yours.

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played the exact hand-inlaid Renaissance Series 18/12/14 bop kit for years. I only knew of one other that was a reverse of the natural maple shell with dark inlay being a dark stain with lighter colored inlay. They're a very high end kit. Extremely well made and sound fantastic. You'll love em. Never heard a snare but I'll guess they rival any wood snare made. Enjoy

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played the exact hand-inlaid Renaissance Series 18/12/14 bop kit for years. I only knew of one other that was a reverse of the natural maple shell with dark inlay being a dark stain with lighter colored inlay. They're a very high end kit. Extremely well made and sound fantastic. You'll love em. Never heard a snare but I'll guess they rival any wood snare made. Enjoy
You know I wish I had known about these when I first started playing. My first real drumset was a late 70's Tama Imperial Star kit. These remind me a lot of those at a much higher level of fit and finish.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow small world! Why did you end up returning it? I was looking for a kit to teach lessons on and this one seemed perfect.
Prefer bop sizes with rerings and inlays. Wanted the snare only but it should stay with the set. A future student needs it more. Lastly, I purchased a Stage Band, SuperTen, and Deluxe last week and more is not always better.

I’m glad it found the right home!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So Hoshino is Camco owned by Tama? Are they MIJ? Year/era? Sorry I know nothing about Camco.......except that I thought DW bought them out...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
From the Vintage Camco Drum History site:
LA Camco closed their doors for good in 1977 when Mr. Beckmen received the offer to be the head of the Roland corporation's U.S. division. The way the Camco company's assets were split at this point redefined the modern drum industry. Hoshino, the parent company of Tama purchased the name "Camco" and the rights to use it on drums and drum related products. The tooling for the Camco pedals, lugs, fittings, mounts, legs, etc was not purchased by Hoshino. Instead, Don Lombardi of Drum Workshop purchased these assets which set the stage for the DW drum company. While DW could not use the name Camco, they had the rights to produce the distinctive "turret" lugs.

Shortly thereafter, Hoshino made several drum lines using the Camco name, and some of those used USA made maple shells (regular and renaissance series) while the later ones used Japanese ones. Elvin Jones was a prominent endorser but the drums never caught on in the marketplace. The bright spot for Tama was their version of the Camco pedal which was a solid seller (and was recently reissued.) This is ironic because the DW 5000 pedal was an even bigger success and was based directly on the Camco model 5000 pedal. In fact the runaway success of DW's 5000 single and later double pedals spurred on their steadily growing drum building operation.

The earliest DW drum kits have the same six-ply shells and many of them have the same floor tom mounts and bass drum spurs as LA Camco. Most likely they were using up the existing stock they inherited. By the later 1980's DW switch to a Keller shell of their own design- five ply (with three ply rings).

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also owned one of those very early DW kits Clear finish. 22/10/12/14/16. Six play maple with re-rings. Very warm sounding. They were made locally at the time and John Good and Don Lombardi were trying to get the word out among many of the players in LA.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The kit shows up tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it stacks to other Camco and Tama drums I have played.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are few drumsets that are able to set my heart aflutter nowadays, but the Hoshino-era Tamas are still able to do just that. I like the lug design even better than the regular turrets. Affix those lovely lugs to glossy maple shells and there are simply no more beautiful drums.

Congrats on acquiring them!

GeeDeeEmm

mesazoo

Reaction score
There are few drumsets that are able to set my heart aflutter nowadays, but the Hoshino-era Tamas are still able to do just that. I like the lug design even better than the regular turrets. Affix those lovely lugs to glossy maple shells and there are simply no more beautiful drums.

Congrats on acquiring them!

GeeDeeEmm
How do you feel about the new George Way lugs? http://www.waydrums.com/main.htm

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about the new George Way lugs? http://www.waydrums.com/main.htm
Honestly, I didn't know they had a new lug design, and it was hard to find any clear close-ups of them. From what I can see, they look very nice and very similar to the DW/Camcos. I like, but I like the Hoshino/Camco lugs better yet.

Thanks for bringing the GW to my attention!

GeeDeeEmm

*Edit: just found a clearer picture. Those a VERY nice lugs!

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If anyone needs a ledge to be pushed off of....