Hot fun on a 'wallpaper' gig

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
The guitar/bass/drums jazz trio I play with did a gig yesterday where we were the background music for a company Christmas party at an upscale restaurant. It was one of those gigs where you almost expect to be told to turn down regardless of where you start volume-wise. As it happens, we normally are not very loud to begin with, but have room to get pretty loud if it seems right.

So I figured I'd play with brushes a lot at the party, and we'd keep things pretty mellow. Right. What we wound up doing was playing our normal stuff just like we did earlier in the day, but a lower volume and with shorter solos (sometimes shorter anyway). People were having conversations 15' from the band with no problem, and we were never asked to turn down. Everybody in charge was really happy, and I think we'll get more work out of it, and several people were complimentary about what we actually played.

I did play with brushes a lot, but also used my regular sticks about half the time, including solos and trading fours. There were some things I simply couldn't do at that volume, but there was plenty I could do, and it forced me to think differently about my approach at times. Best of all, we quickly figured out that we could play almost anything we wanted as long as we kept it down, so everybody but me played just like they always do while I tried to keep up.

Bottom line: playing quietly is not a damper on creativity unless you let it be one. And regardless of the setting, some people will be listening with a critical ear. And all that time I've spent working on patterns at low volume paid off in a big way.

Postscript: that was my third gig in a 24 hour period. Bassist and I played with a piano trio the night before that got me home late, so I had about five hours sleep before doing two gigs Sunday, and there was a lot of highway driving involved between four towns. And on top of that, after I got home Saturday I smashed my right foot into a piece of furniture. My three small toes are still swollen, bruised, and painful. Playing is okay, but walking hurts. And I have a rock band coming over tonight to rehearse.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I smashed my right foot into a piece of furniture. My three small toes are still swollen, bruised, and painful. Playing is okay, but walking hurts. And I have a rock band coming over tonight to rehearse.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:It's not a true rock gig unless there is something smashed! Although the smashing is usually done AT the gig. :laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5:

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Postscript: that was my third gig in a 24 hour period. Bassist and I played with a piano trio the night before that got me home late, so I had about five hours sleep before doing two gigs Sunday, and there was a lot of highway driving involved between four towns. And on top of that, after I got home Saturday I smashed my right foot into a piece of furniture. My three small toes are still swollen, bruised, and painful. Playing is okay, but walking hurts. And I have a rock band coming over tonight to rehearse.
Sorry to hear about your toes!
Everyone, pick up a tube of ARNICA, keep it with you always. As soon as you do something like smash your toes, fingers or any other part of your body, put a SMALL dab of Arnica on it. Almost instantly the pain will go away and shortly the swelling will go away and unless you get hit by an electric pallet the bruising won't even show up. This is all natural and sold in all drug stores. Its also great for sore muscles. (Not a spokesperson, nor do I get a kick back)

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your toes!
Everyone, pick up a tube of ARNICA, keep it with you always. As soon as you do something like smash your toes, fingers or any other part of your body, put a SMALL dab of Arnica on it. Almost instantly the pain will go away and shortly the swelling will go away and unless you get hit by an electric pallet the bruising won't even show up. This is all natural and sold in all drug stores. Its also great for sore muscles. (Not a spokesperson, nor do I get a kick back)

I've never heard of that before, but will definitely check it out. I canceled rehearsal tonight. Just walking is trouble today.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
I usually play loud and hard
But the softer quieter gigs are a most welcome challenge for me to practice musical textures and volume control.
It also allows me to be more versatile and flexible.

Last edited by a moderator:

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sorry about your injuries but so good to hear about a working musician out there doin' it.