House Kit Thoughts

TRDutch

Reaction score
I’m still shopping
I’m not looking for brand advice or number of drums I’ll be getting Two up two down (6 piece) here,But what style Kit makes the most sense sense for a set up in a small room that basically will be like furniture
Think of Moms or Grams piano in the parlor LOL
Seriously though,
Maple or a maple hybrid?
Fast drum sizes?
Classy wood veneer?
Getting over the top colorful drums is cool,but they will never leave the house
I’m starting to think a classy rich wood tone
Anyway, your advice on this
I know I’ll be spending some scratch but I’m long over due for a Big boy house kit.

Drm1979

Reaction score
If you're wanting a natural wood finish I'd say maple. If wont some color then id say go dark. Hunter green, or wine red, or navy blue. To me the darker colors have always felt more "classy" than a bright obnoxiously colored kit. Also as far as tom size I'd go with the larger ones. No sense in sacrificing a good large tone for a couple of inches of space. Especially if this kit is going to be designed to stay in one spot.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's a lot of amazing finishes out there, most of which don't depend on the type of wood for the look. You can't tell most of the time. Go high gloss for sure.

I think the lugs, hoops, and other hardware really make the kit. I love the looks of really high luster chrome on cast hoops. That looks super classy to me. It's hard to beat the looks of a top end Tama kit.

TRDutch

Reaction score
I’ll give you an example of my thoughts.
I’m a Mapex fan
I’m looking at SaturnV and the deep water Blue is beautiful but the 30th Anniversary looks like furniture that would not only class up the joint but I’d have a higher end kit that is going to be somewhat unique.
This is all subjective I know but for sound tone and volume
The size will matter
I have no experience with that in a music room.
My last kit was an MBirch set up in a huge basement and it sounded like a concert arena.
This is what I’m looking for more advice on

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"mama said never ask strangers for advice"

Just get some dark green sunburst Pearl's..
Actually the Mapex
Saturn V Exotic Series 4 piece Jazz shell pack (no snare (get the snare or whatever) in
Deep Water Maple Burl
Appeal to me. If you're a Mapex guy.

Get rid of the double-braced stands and don't cut a hole in the front head.
maybe pick another color/ but that series.

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just mentioning Gretsch here for the wood finishes....whatever matches. Burnt Orange Gloss, Antique Maple Gloss, Rosewood Gloss....etc.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Get a nicely stained or natural kit. None of those dyed colors will stand the test of time. Seems to me that that dyed wood look went out of style a decade ago...
No offense to anyone here, a lot of my tastes went out of style a while ago as well.

Get exactly what you want!

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If they're never going to leave the house the color doesn't matter. Pick the color you like, with the thought in mind that you're going to look at them for a long time. I'm one of those guys mentioned above who likes "obnoxiously bright" colors, and turquoise sparkle has worked for me on a gigging kit for almost 20 years. But I'm not you.

Same thing with sizes. You're not going to find a consensus here. I have three different six piece setups, love them all, and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. What sizes do YOU like? Why? Will that be affected by the room? In what way?

Frankly, if you've been here for any length of time you already know that the advice you'll get is highly subjective, and based on the choices of the individuals giving it. It's your kit for use in your house and should be based on your preferences, not ours. Make a decision, buy a kit, take some pictures, and post them here for us to drool over.

TRDutch

Reaction score
"mama said never ask strangers for advice"

Just get some dark green sunburst Pearl's..
Actually the Mapex
Saturn V Exotic Series 4 piece Jazz shell pack (no snare (get the snare or whatever) in
Deep Water Maple Burl
Appeal to me. If you're a Mapex guy.

Get rid of the double-braced stands and don't cut a hole in the front head.
maybe pick another color/ but that series.
Believe it or not that’s the one I’ve been looking at All Week

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Based on your description, the first thing that came to mind for me was Tama Starclassic. But the Mapex upper lines are a great choice, too. For their wood finish drums, Mapex uses a man-made engineered wood veneer that can be designed to mimic any wood finish in the world. This approach has not only proven to be durable but also allows them to offer the incredible wood-look finishes in the drum world. For your tastes, the high gloss finishes are the way to go, as high gloss offers the deep appearance of modern furniture and remains classic-looking regardless of whatever trends pass.

Sizes? Again, I would remain with the more constant, "traditional" sizes that have always been in demand regardless of trends. 7"X10"; 8"X12"; 14"X14"; 16"X16" toms. (Of course, the tom depth availability will depend on what Mapex offers, so you may have to fudge on depth a bit.) Why the recommendation for the traditional "square" floor tom dimensions? Because (a) the deeper toms take up no more floor space than shallower depths, and (b) those sizes became standard for a reason: they can go LOW with great authority, or be tuned higher without choking.

Bass drum size, though, will be a real estate issue. The amount of space taken up by a 14"X20" bass drum vs that required for an 18"X24" is quite significant, not to mention the effect on tom placement. A 14"X22" is a great compromise. Again, the sizes that Mapex offers will be a consideration, as well.

Since your kit will never be gigged, your hardware choices are wide, indeed. A heavy double-braced stand is going to take up little more space than a light single-braced model. Personally, though, considering that the kit will not be moved would lead me to choose the heaviest double-braced hardware that Mapex offers. It's not a necessary choice, but why not avail yourself to the best, most stable stands available? (And this is coming from somebody who uses single-braced Yamaha hardware. If somebody else had to carry and attend to it, though . . . . )

So, there's my opinion. Still absolutely free, and you are entitled to it. Keep us updated. This sounds like fun.

GeeDeeEmm

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Believe it or not that’s the one I’ve been looking at All Week
I believe it.
let's look at the color finishes
what are you leaning towards.
I think this is their page:
MH stands for "Maple Hybrid" ( maple and walnut shells)...
why didn't they just call em "MW" (who cares) they're nice.
You got Black, Cherry Mist, Deep Water, and natural.

Last edited:

TRDutch

Reaction score
I believe it.
let's look at the color finishes
what are you leaning towards.
I think this is their page:
MH stands for "Maple Hybrid" ( maple and walnut shells)...
why didn't they just call em "MW" (who cares) they're nice.
You got Black, Cherry Mist, Deep Water, and natural.
Deep Water
I’ve seen actual pics from a drum shop that were high resolution
The grain is really beautiful

Reactions: JDA

TRDutch

Reaction score
Based on your description, the first thing that came to mind for me was Tama Starclassic. But the Mapex upper lines are a great choice, too. For their wood finish drums, Mapex uses a man-made engineered wood veneer that can be designed to mimic any wood finish in the world. This approach has not only proven to be durable but also allows them to offer the incredible wood-look finishes in the drum world. For your tastes, the high gloss finishes are the way to go, as high gloss offers the deep appearance of modern furniture and remains classic-looking regardless of whatever trends pass.

Sizes? Again, I would remain with the more constant, "traditional" sizes that have always been in demand regardless of trends. 7"X10"; 8"X12"; 14"X14"; 16"X16" toms. (Of course, the tom depth availability will depend on what Mapex offers, so you may have to fudge on depth a bit.) Why the recommendation for the traditional "square" floor tom dimensions? Because (a) the deeper toms take up no more floor space than shallower depths, and (b) those sizes became standard for a reason: they can go LOW with great authority, or be tuned higher without choking.

Bass drum size, though, will be a real estate issue. The amount of space taken up by a 14"X20" bass drum vs that required for an 18"X24" is quite significant, not to mention the effect on tom placement. A 14"X22" is a great compromise. Again, the sizes that Mapex offers will be a consideration, as well.

Since your kit will never be gigged, your hardware choices are wide, indeed. A heavy double-braced stand is going to take up little more space than a light single-braced model. Personally, though, considering that the kit will not be moved would lead me to choose the heaviest double-braced hardware that Mapex offers. It's not a necessary choice, but why not avail yourself to the best, most stable stands available? (And this is coming from somebody who uses single-braced Yamaha hardware. If somebody else had to carry and attend to it, though . . . . )

So, there's my opinion. Still absolutely free, and you are entitled to it. Keep us updated. This sounds like fun.

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks for your great advice
I appreciate it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I’m still shopping
I’m not looking for brand advice or number of drums I’ll be getting Two up two down (6 piece) here,But what style Kit makes the most sense sense for a set up in a small room that basically will be like furniture
Think of Moms or Grams piano in the parlor LOL
Seriously though,
Maple or a maple hybrid?
Fast drum sizes?
Classy wood veneer?
Getting over the top colorful drums is cool,but they will never leave the house
I’m starting to think a classy rich wood tone
Anyway, your advice on this
I know I’ll be spending some scratch but I’m long over due for a Big boy house kit.
(changing my answer because something struck me after I posted my former reply)

Get whatever brand, size, configuration you want.
Only YOU will know what works best in your own home (EDIT: suggestion - Piano black or glossy natural with nicely figured wood. Chrome hardware stands up better to the test of time, compared to brass/"gold" finish).
As for noise considerations, outfit that kit with Remo SILENT STROKE heads and Zildjian L80 quiet cymbals.
Play to your hearts content and the neighbors, or even anyone in another room of your house, will likely not mind.
...and the kit will still look nice sitting in your living room.

Elvis

Last edited: