How a Zildjian cymbal is made - YouTube video

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there a Part II: How to hear a shitty Zildjian (or Paiste) from a great one?

EssKayKay

Reaction score
I found it interesting. So what's their total workforce?

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was Paul in there on a couple of the stations.

I'd guess there were 30-40 guys on the floor while I was there, and I think they do at least two shifts. Could've been a lot more, though-- I wasn't in the warehouse or the office or anything.

The whole thing feels a lot more "hand made" in person than it did on the video, but otherwise, yeah. Pretty big operation, lots of emphasis on safety, but still very personal.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The wife and I just viewed this.

Then I showed her this one ... such a difference.
She was amazed at how Earthy the Bos was compared to the Zildjian.
That tech is one of the central issues that split Robert and Armand ... Robert preferring the old school methodology.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the Bosphorus video posted above! I am a huge Zildjian player for 35+ years and I respect Paul actually lathing the cymbal and Leon still there crashing away.

But these guys to me are real cymbal heroes - no masks, no goggles, no hearing protection, working in hot dirty environments, probably low pay and no work comp if you get hot boiling metal splashed on you! I tend to treasure my Bosphorus and Agop cymbals a bit more as a result......

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the Bosphorus video posted above! I am a huge Zildjian player for 35+ years and I respect Paul actually lathing the cymbal and Leon still there crashing away.

But these guys to me are real cymbal heroes - no masks, no goggles, no hearing protection, working in hot dirty environments, probably low pay and no work comp if you get hot boiling metal splashed on you! I tend to treasure my Bosphorus and Agop cymbals a bit more as a result......
I'm trying to find a nice way to say this...

OK, I've got it: I get the best feeling knowing that the people who made my cymbals worked in a safe environment with good pay and benefits. I feel awesome about the fact that people aren't risking life and limb-- quite literally-- to make my stuff.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
95% of my collection is Zildjian......but cymbals have to be hand hammered!
I do wonder how some of these smaller and/or smaller cymbalsmiths do their thing and stay safe.

I hear you about good work conditions. But I've always wondered if the cymbal making process ever played a role in the deaths of Spizzichino, Skiba, Johan, etc........

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Yeah, whenever I'm out listening to some great music, I sure hope the gear upon which it is being made was created in a safe space.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
95% of my collection is Zildjian......but cymbals have to be hand hammered!
I do wonder how some of these smaller and/or smaller cymbalsmiths do their thing and stay safe.

I hear you about good work conditions. But I've always wondered if the cymbal making process ever played a role in the deaths of Spizzichino, Skiba, Johan, etc........
The cymbal making process itself did not have a role in the deaths of Spizzichino, Skiba, or Johan. That doesn't make the loss any less sorrowful for me. But at least we don't need to blame work conditions.

I have a feeling that the video doesn't show all of their manufacturing processes.
The video is highlights assembled from a series of shorter videos and it is unlikely to show everything. I don't believe it shows some steps in the proper order. It has hammering then backbending then pressing. But look no further than Pinksterboer (1992:119) for the actual order:

Shaping an A Zildjian or an AA Sabian is done in three basic steps: backbending, pressing and hammering.

Latest posts